Week # 148 ~ The Golden Eagle Hornpipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is The Golden Eagle Hornpipe, which was submitted as a fiddle tune. I don't know any history on this tune, but it is a tune which I learned by ear off a Lifescape's CD, Celtic Mystery. The version I know is pretty close to the notation I've found:

Here is a link to notation on abctunesearch, and the abc from that site:

X:1
    T:Golden Eagle -- Hornpipe
    R:hornpipe
    B:Cole's 1000 Fiddle Tunes
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    K:G
    (uBA)|GB,DG BDGB|dGBd gbag|fed^c =cAFD|GBAG FDBA|
    GB,DG BDGB|dGBd gbag|fd^c=c ADFA|G2B2G2:|
    |:ub2|bB^df bagf|e^def gfg^g|aA^ce agfe|
    edd^c .d2(ab)|"4"c'afd ^cdef|gfga bgag|fAce dFBA|G2B2G2:|

Here is a link to a couple more versions.

and last, but not least... here's my version...

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nothing like finding my typo in the credits.... seems I'm playing a manodlin!
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job Barbara, and you've invented a whole new instrument. I'm sure it won't be long before Collings takes up this new branding.
  4. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Hah, those pesky typos. Love this tune, and it looks like one I should learn if for no other reason than the pinkie workout!
  5. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    made my first read of this tune tonight. It'll take me the full week for sure! Thankfully I have a reference performance to guide my progress!

f-d
  6. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    I may post a more polished version later this week. Till then, here it is, more an air than a hornpipe, I'm afraid.

7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Awesome, Colin! I can see why that B part got you up in the middle of the night--love it.
    Really smooth version, Barbara. You've got this one nailed.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job Colin, that's a very pretty version.
  9. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Barbara and Colin. I enjoyed all the triplets and ornamentation that you both put in. Barbara, it was nice having your version up right away to start the week off. I originally started learning a version that had more triplets, but I switched to the more straight forward version that I found at this site. http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...e_hornpipe.htm .
  10. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I humble myself yet again. . .

My version of "The Golden Hornpipe," more practice to follow in the weeks ahead. I actually found that there were some patterns of notes I just wasn't used to in this piece of music. I guess that's a good thing.

f-d
  11. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Neat tune. Sounds like it has some ragtime in it. Nice to hear the old Gibsons & the Flatiron.
  12. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good job Neil. We've had so many fingerbusters recently that I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some machiavellian plot afoot to put us all in the hospital.
  14. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Nice version, Neil! Since posting earlier this week I've listened to a number of fiddle versions played at blistering speed. But when I started learning it, I found a very nice guitar version, played at a more stately (and manageable) tempo. Click http://www.macjams.com/song/24527 to hear it. Now that's another kind of challenge!

Here's another take of my version of this tune, this time played on my Larrivée A-33 (back from the shop, hurray!)

15. jonny250
    jonny250
    Nicely played guys. Colin i like that version
    I've been trying to play this song this week but its been driving me completely mad!!
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Colin, Nice job! You've managed to post TWO versions when most of us haven't even posted our first! That's motivation! I really like the sound of your Larivee.

Neil, Laura and Fatt-dad......you guys got this one down so quick! I've been trying to pick this tune for almost a couple of years and STILL can't get all the notes right! Great job on this fingerbuster!
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I agree, very impressive. This one sounds like it should be easy, but is crazy hard once you try to play it. Very nice work to everyone.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding really good on this one, Colin, the second attempt is even better, and sounds like the Larivee plays great.
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well done to everyone so far especially Colin for posting 2 versions. I found this one very hard.

20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good job there maudlin - nice timing on the triplets.
  21. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    This tune is one that I've been working on for far too long and never got down due to it's fingerbusting properties! The first time I heard this tune was Mike Marshall and Edgar Meyer playing it on some live recording and me being a birder that worked with Golden Eagles at one point I had to try to learn it. Well, this week has come around and it's inspired me to work on it more and finally try to get it right and.....remind me why I never got it down before. THIS TUNE HURTS as much as President Garfield's Hornpipe or more!

For your further listening pleasure enjoy the rugrat in the background being all rowdy and the Bullock's Oriole singing from the bird clock (2 p.m.)! I chose to to keep this one since this was my best take and is probably going to be my best take ever and frankly my hand hurts too much to make it through this tune twice again......

22. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    it is so fun to listen/see you all going after this tune!

f-d
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, Rob, twice through, and at an impressive pace too. That's awesome. You have a fortunate last name for working with birds, but I'll bet you hear that all the time. Super job, and that mandolin is really a nice sounding one.
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Ow! Sounded great though
  25. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    I've been gone from the SAW group for quite a while and, unfortunately, my first foray back into it is going to be a shortie. I found a really cool version of this with some quadruplets and triplets that I liked and wanted to do that one, so I've been working on it the past couple days. I can get it pretty good at a nice pace, but when I try to document it, my fingers get away from me and it ends up getting confusing. For this go around, I did it with a metronome set to 120 and decided to only do each section once.

I know it sounds a little weird without the repeated A and B sections, but I just wanted to get this one done before the end of the week. Haha.

26. Francis J
    Francis J
    A little late with this one, here goes.....

27. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow, more really good jobs on this finger masher. Francis i wish i had heard that a week ago lol, i like the style of that.

having comitted to learning this tune this week, i'm going to post my latest attempt - its not quite right, but probable my best effort so far :
    crit welcome!
  28. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    To train your fingers to always land on certain frets and to retrain them in a week is not an easy task.

29. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very nicely done, David!
  30. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Michael and Francis, you had some very interesting melodic variations on this tune, and good technique. jonny, I really like your version too. You've really got the fingering and the tempo nailed. A question (since you asked for constructive criticism): how heavy is your pick?
  31. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    2 versions I quickly recorded tonight. Both with major flubs. Oh well! I only got started on this one on Friday and am out of action all next week, so will try to learn Maple Sugar and the new one the week after.

I discovered I can play a bit easier/quicker standing up, but the added pressure of recording still turns my fingers into sausages and I make mistakes all over the place. Any tips of keeping cool while the red light is on?

32. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Peddyrmac, both versions were great! Not sure what flubs you were talking about. That sounds really awesome for just learning this on Friday! The only thing I can suggest with the nervousness which comes on with recording yourself is to just keep doing it and it gets easier every time you do it. Beer or wine help, also!

David H., your high standard is once again upheld with this tune. So clean!

Francis J., Jonny250 and Michael T. really nice versions with some very interesting variations that I'm going to have to steal...once my hand heals from playing this damn tune too much!
  33. jonny250
    jonny250
    Peddy, thats sounds very nice well played.
    Colin, i use a 1.2mm wegen tf120 pick with the end rounded off, what do you think? Im always gratelful for advice...
  34. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Peddyrmac, your versions were quite wonderful, very musical. I heard no flubs (and you'll say the same about my versions, right?).

jonny, your pick is fine. I thought I heard something in your right-hand attack, but that's not it.
  35. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Colin, thanks for the compliments. I am in awe of your maple sugar recording and all the double stops. I am away for a week but intend to use your version to learn it when I return!