Week #147 ~ The Tailor's Twist

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by one vote, is The Tailor's Twist, which was submitted as a hornpipe. I'm not familiar with this tune.

I found this ABC on the session.org

X: 1
    T: Taylor's Twist, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Dmaj
    |:FE|DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ed|(3cdc (3BcB (3ABA (3GFE|
    DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|
    |:fg|~a3f df af|ba gf eA ce|{f}~g3e cd ef|(3gag (3fgf eg fe|
    df ec dD FA|B/A/B ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|

Here is a link to the tune's notation and abc with mid file on abcnotation.com

And another on abcnotation.com
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .TEF file for Standard Notation and TABs.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...7&d=1329501016
  3. Francis J
    Francis J
    Back to the cheapo microphone again for this one! A few flubbs but I wated to be first this time!

4. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Nice work, Francis, and way to get it out there on the first day!
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This might be a record. Great triplets, Francis, and thanks for the nice example so early on.
  6. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice, Francis. The first player out of the blocks sets the standard and you've set it very high. Thanks for sharing.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well played, Francis! Lovely relaxed right hand there and, as Marcelyn says, very well-executed triplets. And the cheapo mic was no hindrance.
  8. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Nice version, Francis
    I'll prob be quite late this week - realised I was gonna be busy, and tried to get a head start by learning the tone of the week before the poll finished, just to see it pipped at the post
  9. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    just in case you all haven't yet found the tab on the 'cafe's web page:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/tailorstwist.txt

f-d
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    What an electrifying performance! Great job, David.
  11. Francis J
    Francis J
    Nothing rough about that performance David, lovely pace, perfect for getting the toes tapping!
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Anytime there's a word like "twist" or "wind" in the title of a tune it's time to watch out. Good job David! That baritone guitar sounded very nice in the "mix" for this song. I don't think I've heard that instrument from you before...
  13. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    One pass via the 'cafe tabulature.

I do like this twisted tune!

f-d
  14. justkaron
    justkaron
    I don't think all of the regular posters of videos here can imagine what a joy they are to watch! And what a valuable learning tool they are for those of us who're JUST starting out. Don't ever stop, please!

Karon
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Beautiful, David. Another inspireing arrangement.
    Very ringing and melodic FD. You're a quick learner on these tunes.
  16. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac

my early version of this weeks tune. It's a nice hornpipe. I know of it from the Planxty album ' the woman I loved so well', but that is an Uilleann pipe version and very different in rhythm too.
  17. laura809
    laura809
    Francis, that was very impressive how quickly you learned this song. David, your version was excellent as usual, and I particularly liked your backing track and tempo for this tune. F-d, I'm glad to see you posting again this week. Peddyrmac, that was a nice solid performance. I had some trouble with youtube earlier today, but I finally got this to upload.
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Laura, that's a very nice multi-tracked version. I'll bet you played all the instruments too! Just love the old time tone of that A style mandolin. (By the way, is that a Rode mic that's sticking up in front of the mandolin?)

Peddymac: the oval hole mandolins seem to rule on this tune! The triplets were very tastefully done.
  19. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    David and Laura, lovely multitracked versions. I would live to have the facility (and skill) to produce such polished tune versions for this group. Francis and FD, you and I are rocking the a capella mandolin!

Can't wait for next weeks tune. I get a bit sad when I have submitted my SAW and am waiting for the next one!
  20. Tavy
    Tavy
    Nice playing everyone - some tricky triplets in there that you all make so easy!
  21. laura809
    laura809
    Michael, that is a Rode NT1 mic. I used Logic to make the multitrack recording. Peddyrmac, I think there's a clear frontrunner in the polls, so you can get a head start.
  22. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    laura...I have already found some sheet music and plan to make a start, but I am travelling this weekend (without my mando!), so I will be from a standing start on Monday I reckon.
  23. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Another fun tune this week. Well done by everyone who's posted a video! Here's mine, without accompaniment.

24. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nicely played Colin and Laura, I likedyour really full sounding accompaniment.Here it is on a Gremlin
  25. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut

Once again, some problems with the video sticking, though this time the audio seems to have worked ok.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Looks like everyone is getting a late entry in on this one, just like me - it's a fingerbuster for sure. Very nice work from Colin, Maudlin and Neil. Colin, you really made this sound good. Here's my humble attempt, once through, reading the tab:

27. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I kind of wish I could rewind the clock a few years and start with you all. It's just so fun to see all of these recordings, the different sounds, approaches, styles, techniques, etc. It's also fun to get a new tune under my fingers.

Great videos!

f-d
  28. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Thanks, O/S. Your mandolin sounds sweet as a bell. As Michael P. said at the beginning of the week, the Twist in the title is a giveaway. It's like "Mountain Road", another tortuous tune, where it's a challenge not to fall over the cliff. Maybe we can introduce it to the Group in weeks to come.
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Colin, I'll take look at "Mountain Road", sounds interesting. F-d, since the fun here never ends, it doesn't matter when you start
  30. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great efforts everyone.
    Another late entry:

31. Toycona
    Toycona
    So smooth, Manfred!
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm late too, but in very good company it looks like.
  33. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Tom. I put a lot of effort into trying to be smooth
    Marcy, late but very nice on your NEWell.
    I hardly dare to offer such an accomplished musician as you advice, Marcy, but I often think you could be even better with less 'flying fingers'.
    John McGann has great advice on the left hand here:
    http://www.johnmcgann.com/techtips.html
    Hope this comment was not too bold.
  34. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Manfred, Marcelyn, - You triplets are wonderful - Smooth and solid. Thank you both for the lesson and thanks to all who posted this week.
  35. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    today's videos are just great!

f-d
  36. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks everyone. And Manfred, I really appreciate the advice. I hadn't noticed it until OS pointed it out a few weeks back too. Since then, I've been making a conscious effort to focus on that, but it's a tough habbit to change for some reason. I'll check out that link and maybe it will have the cure.
  37. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very nice versions from Manfred and Marcelyn. Manfred, I liked your B part a lot.

I think song of the week is taking over my life. I woke up at 4 am yesterday with ideas for the B part of the Golden Eagle hornpipe, and had to get up and try them out....

A question: how do I get my profile picture to appear in my posts for this group?
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes,mgreat work from Manfred and Marcelyn. Colin, click on "Settings" in the top right hand corner of this page. Then click "Edit avatar" under My Settings in the left hand menu.
  39. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Took me 2 years of practice to get this... fun tune.
  40. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's really nice, Dusty and on such a pretty sounding mandolin. You're right--I remember that tune was a tricky one.