Week #145 ~ Jenny's Welcome to Charlie

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Jenny's Welcome to Charlie, which was submitted as a Scottish tune. I am not familiar with it, but have come up with several variations:

abcnotation.com has several.

This one is from Dan Cobb, and this is the abc:

X:160
    T:Jenny's Welcome to Charlie
    Z: id:dc-reel-150
    M:C
    L:1/8
    K:D Mixolydian
    D3B AGFD|E2cE dEcE|D2BD AGFD|E2cE EDD2|!
    D3B AGFD|E2cE dEcd|eddc AGEF|GEcE EDD2:|!
    K:D Dorian
    f3d e3d|cAAG AcG2|f3d ed^cd|eaag edd2|!
    f3d e3d|cAAG A2cd|eddc AGEF|GEcE EDD2:|!
    K:D Mixolydian
    a3b agef|g2af gedB|eaa2 ageg|agag egdg|!
    a3b agef|g2af gedB|ABcd eddc|AGcE EDD2:|!
    Add^c def2|AccB cAG2|Add^c defg|eaag edd2|!
    Add^c d=cAB|c2ec cAGE|DEFG AddB|cBcG EFGE:|!

This one is from John Chamber's Collection, and this is the abc for it:

X:106
    T:Jenny's Welcome to Charlie
    M:C
    L:1/8
    D3B AGFD|E2cE dEcE|D2BD AGFD|E2cE EDD2|!
    D3B AGFD|E2cE dEcd|eddc AGEF|GEcE EDD2:|!
    K:D Minor
    f3d e3d|cAAG AcG2|f3d ed^cd|eaag edd2|!
    f3d e3d|cAAG A2cd|eddc AGEF|GEcE EDD2:|!
    a3b agef|g2af gedB|eaa2 agag|eaag egdg|!
    a3b agef|g2af gedB|ABcd eddc|AGcE EDD2:|!
    Add^c def2|AccB cAG2|Add^c defg|eaag edd2|!
    Add^c dcAB|c2ec cAGE|DEFG AddB|cBcG EFGE:|!

I think these two notations play the same, it's just how they've handled the notation for the key (or modal?) changes throughout the tune.

This is from thesession.org, and the abc from that (be sure to read the comments section!):

X: 1
    T: Jenny's Welcome To Charlie
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Ddor
    |D2 AB AGE^F|GEcE dEcE|D2 AB AGE^F|GEcE EDCE|
    |D2 AB AGE^F|GEcE d2 cd|eddc AGE^F|1 GEcE EDCE:|2 GEcE EDD2|
    |:f3 d efed|cA (3AAA cA (3AAA|f2 fd edcd|eaag edde|
    |~f3 d efed|cAAB c2 cd|eddc AGE^F|GEcE EDD2:|
    |:a2 ab age^f|~g3 a gedg|eaag aged|eaag edde|
    |~a3 b age^f|~g3 a gedB|A2 (3Bcd eddc|AcGE EDD2:|
    |:Addc defd|AccB cdec|Addc d2 cd|eaag eddc|
    |~d3 e dcAB|~c3 d cAGE|D2 (3E^FG Addc|1 AcGE EDD2:|2 AcGE EDCE||

This tune has a number of alternate names: Jeannie's Welcome To Charlie, Jenny And The Weaver, Jenny's Welcome Home To Charlie, Jenny’s Welcome To Charley, Jenny’s Welcome To Charlie, Jennys Welcome To Charlie.
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for Std Notation and TABs
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1328295232
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great tune, just listened to Arty McGlynn's version, had forgotten what a great album McGlynn's Fancy is. looking forward to having a stab at it.

Donal Maguire does a nice version on the mandolin on his 'The Star of Sunday's Well cd
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a fiddler who's all over this tune!

5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Let's all throw away our mandolins, and learn to fiddle like that guy!
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona

i prefer this one myself
  7. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Here is my attempt. I just learned this tune about five minutes before the video and frankly my playing sucks but it is a great tune that needs to be learned. Give me a month with the tune and I think I can come up with something better. Nonetheless, it is a great tune which has spawned many children including the Clare version called "Jenny Picking Cockles" which plays the first two parts with a sharpened F note. I heard John Carty play this years ago at a workshop so I added it to the end of my terrifying trial.

I am playing a 1921 Gibson A-2 with a red Snark tuner attached. I'm using a 1.5 mm D'Andrea Jazz pick that Ted E. sent me with a packet of strings. The bridge on this model is a fixed height bridge so I replaced it with a Cumberland Acoustics bridge.

8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great sounding mandolin and a nicely played arrangement with variations. Thanks for pointing the way on this one! I'm still untangling my fingers from trying to play the abc file!
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice demonstration, Mikeyes - not to talk about the fact that you learned this in no time.
    It has pointed out to me that I have to use a more dotted eights approach in my practice. I have also been unsure about the "correct" tempo. (not that I could play superfast anyway!)
  10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice Mike, its gonna take me at least a month with this one.
  11. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Well done mikeyes, nice version, like the triplets. I'm still struggling to get it all remembered, four parts is tough.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Mike, and that A-2 sounds lovely as well. Really enjoyed the Johnny Canning clip gortnamona posted as well.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is my kind of tune! Still having to look at the notation, and made it just one time through... kind of rough, but I expect to get better at this one!

14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Absolutely gorgeous, Barbara. Even at a slower tempo, this song sounds like a huge challenge.
  15. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Very nice, Barbara. That mandolin sounds great!
  16. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Very, very sweet, Barb. I love it at this tempo. I really enjoyed your version, Mike! I'm impressed at how you and Barb picked up this tune so quickly and so well.
  17. laura809
    laura809
    Those fiddlers were amazing. I couldn't even come close to the fast tempos that many of the youtube videos play this one at. Mikeyes, I can't believe how fast you got a version of this together. It sounds great, and I like the swing you put into it. Barbara, that was a beautiful arrangement. The triplets and double stops really add a lot to it.
  18. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    laura,

Very nice. Maybe we need to start a Gibson A/Red Snark Group!

Mike Keyes
  19. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Nice work, Mike! Way to start us off on this fine tune. Barbara, those double stops sound great! I like the backing track you put together for this one too, Laura. I look forward to the upcoming posts and hope that I will be able to find time for this one this week!
  20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara: very nicely played on one my favorite mandolins. Laura: great tone and a good arrangement from your Gibson.

I found this song very difficult, what with the four parts and all. Eventually it'll be memorized and then I can start working it up to speed. Played on my Kentucky and backed up with a guitar tuned: DADGAD.

21. laura809
    laura809
    Excellent Michael! I agree, this song was particularly tough. I liked the tempo that you played it at. It had a nice bouncy groove to it that made me feel like moving. The open tuned guitar really seems to compliment many of our tunes-of-the-week.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great versions, all ya'll! When I was learning this, I worked on playing this more reel-like; but I like the dotted-ness of hornpipes, so now I'm working on it with a more hornpipe rhythm... hopefully, I'll have time to post it. I think that's what Manfred was referring to, earlier. I have a tendency to want to turn fast reels into a little slower hornpipe!
  23. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Movie maker seems to have done something a bit weird to the sound, and I messed up at a few bits, but I think this is the best I'll get it this week; hopefully next weeks will be a bit easier!
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played!
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's another submission of this tune, with a more dotted rhythm. Still has some rough spots (like where I found myself on the wrong string for a few notes!), but at least, I'm doing it from memory. I'm playing this once through, then going back for 2 more A parts. I think that's how Michael did it, and it's a nice way to do a 4 part tune. Snowball, my needy cat, was 'sitting in' on this practice session!

26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Awesome job, Barbara, you've become such a groover, even if you do have a cat in your lap while you're doing it.

And Michael, just a wonderful arrangement on yours, I sure wish I could afford one of those Dadgad guitars, they always sound good Neil, the nimbleness of your fingers got the spirit of you performance to shine even through movie maker's dodgy compression algorithms. Not many smiles this week though, I guess there's some serious sight reading going on.

Laura, you're doing a great job and your mandolin sounds really nice. Oh, and Mike, good to see you back in there, that's the spirit, leading the way.
  27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I'm loving this tune more and more. Every one knocked it out of the park! Love needy cats, especially in the winter. I'm always so impressed when folks can record backups for their tunes. As far as messy bits, Neil, I certainly couldn't hear them. Very Irish-y .... if that's a word.
  28. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Laura, Michael, Neil, Barbara, great variety and playing.
    David is right, Barbara, you are such a groover. I have desperately tried to get a handle on this tune, but especially part C does not speak to me. No bouncy feeling either. Oh well .......

29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Mandfred. The C part was the hardest part for me also. I like your take on it...
  30. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Nice versions, Barbara and Manfred.
    OS - no the lack of smiles was not due to sight reading but the opposite - by the time I memorised it so I didn't need the music, I was beyond smiling, and even then, my eyes couldn't leave my fingers. I certainly smiled with relief once the camera was off and this week's recording was over!
  31. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Thought I would try to record this before the end of the week. Its far from perfect, especially part 3 (which I don't lie anywhere near as much as the other 3 sections).

32. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great playing everybody so far. I didn't vote for this one, it isn't the easiest to learn, but once again, although I've never played it , I have heard some great versions over the years, and hopefully . Here's my best shot, ............shaky start, and a bit fast! Joe Foley mandolin, Joe Foley Bouzouki.

33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Francis, what an incredible duet. Those instruments work really well together, and what a driving rhythm you had through the whole arrangement. Really nice!
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Francis, what an incredible duet. Those instruments work really well together, and what a driving rhythm you had through the whole arrangement.
    And great playing Peddyrmac. You've got a great sounding mandolin and a good handle on that tune. Really nice!
  35. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thanks Marcelyn, appreciate your kind remarks.
  36. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent arrangement Francis. The backup you were playing with the Joe Foley Bouzouki really compliments the melody of your mandolin and made the tune drive like crazy.

What an incredible sounding mandolin Peddymac – and what a lovely color too! I couldn't read the maker from the video but would like to know.
  37. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Marcelyn, Michael, thanks for the compliments. The mandolin is nothing special compared with some of the amazing timber on display in the SAW group. It is an GR3126 Ashbury AM-370 Mandolin
    solid spruce top, solid maple body, maple neck, Made in China. I bought it secondhand (but never used)on the internet after some good reviews and rather superficially because I liked the scrolls and the colour. I have just restrung it, so it's sounding even sweeter now.
    This video was recorded in the kitchen so there is some natural reverb going on. Maybe that helped?
  38. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well done everyone - four sections is a lot to learn. Here is the version from the Session on a Gremlin.

39. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    It has been a busy couple of weeks but I liked this tune so much I had to give it a go! The four part tune definitely took me more time to memorize but I think I got it all down. Great versions, all around and I liked Barbara's double stops on the B part so much I had to try to use them myself! Here goes:

40. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    my hats of to everyone who managed to record this one, pat on the back all round, i couldn't manage it myself, been playing it all week but just couldn't get through it once i'ld hit that red button, so this" close but no cigar" effort was the best of the bunch.

41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Man, do I know how you felt when trying to record this tune. There must be 30-40 takes still on my camera that I had to get thru before hitting the one I finally finished. Your A, B, and C parts sounded great as you recorded them and that darn D part was so close! There's no doubt in my mind that you've going to hit a super cool version of this song just around the next bend...
  42. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thought it was about time i had another crack at this, as per usual the the record button got me again and i tensed up and rushed it a bit, so my timing is a bit up the left but hopefully its an improvement on my first effort

had a go on the ozark tenor as well

43. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    been practicing this one myself...on the tenor banjo. I will repost it soon.