Week #140 ~ Snake River Reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Snake River Reel, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with this tune. It was composed by Peter Lippincott of St. Louis, Missouri, a musician and dance caller.

Here is a link to tab and standard notation for this tune.

Here is another link to a notation and dulcimer tab (you can ignore that part!)

Here is a You Tube video of the tune being played on a banjo:

2. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut

Once again, my youtube video is wider than normal, if anyone knows why this is / how to fix it please tell me.
  3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Jeez Neil. I'm just waking up enough to realze that it is Friday. And, you already have a post.
    You give it a very nice bounce. Got my feet moving.
    Gary
  4. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Yeah, that's the advantage of living this side of the atlantic
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love it, Neil. That has just the right feel to it.
    Just a guess, but I think your videos are bigger because you're using the forum's embed tool as opposed to typing the embed code in manually.
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely that Neil, i wish i could get a feel for these old time tunes but they tend to baffle me.
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    [YOUTUBE]QHuJfutuiu8[/YOUTUBE]

Happy New Year, everybody!
  8. Toycona
    Toycona

Happy New Year, everybody!
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work Neil and Toycona - I rather like this one:

10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    so good i had to listen to it a few times, great stuff OS
  11. Lou Giordano
    Lou Giordano
    Great tune, great job guys. OS how many bpm is that?
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one OS. I decided to end the year with a whimper rather than a bang as whatever perfectionistic tendencies I had yesterday are clearly absent today. So I went with a loose feel rather than precision and after I was all done with the audio I noticed that my new camera angle only caught half of the show. Happy New Year!!!!

13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    All the better for a touch of relaxation, I'd say, and a superb end to a great musical year from you David. Many thanks for all of your entertaining videos and arrangements, I look forward to many more.

Oh, and thanks gortnamona, and Lou - it was 116 bpm I think.
  14. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Wow. Already another impressive week.
    Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.
    My resolution is to post much more often in the coming year.
    When my new mandolin gets here I'll probably go crazy.
  15. Tavy
    Tavy
    Yikes you guys are too good!!

Great versions everyone, great little tune too - looks like another one to add to the (long) list!
  16. laura809
    laura809
    I love this tune. It's very fun to play. My backing track was way too loud in the recording, but I was trying to squeeze in a video while my husband took the kids out for a while. It's a lot harder to keep up with the song of the week when the whole family is home for winter break.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Neil: very fine my friend! Toycona: nicely done (those position markers on the neck are really cool...) Old Sausage: Very nicely played with a bunch of those nice variations of yours... David Hansen: that loose feel brings so much life to the tune... Laura: Love that tune and the way you play it!

Here's the version I've worked up. It's played with my Kentucky KM600 mandolin (a Gibson style knockoff from Japan) and my Simon & Patrick guitar (from Canada).

18. Toycona
    Toycona
    Really great playing, Michael! Talk about loosey goosey!!
  19. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    A great tune played so well by all. Very enjoyable.

Michael - Are you wearing shorts? Don't you know it's January? It hit 80 where I live south of San Diego today. The warm weather is nice but we really need rain.
  20. Toycona
    Toycona
    Rain? What's that? I was at Tanaya Lake (Yosemite high country - 8600' - for those of you not from California)last week and stood on a frozen lake beside sandy shores. No snow anywhere!!! I'll never see that again...I hope!
  21. Tavy
    Tavy
    More great versions!

Mike & Toycona: just so you know, I think all the rain is over this side of the Atlantic - just non-stop rain and gails all through Christmas
  22. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Here it is, my version of the song. I'm still experimenting with various recording techniques. This time the mandolin audio is from the video camera and the rest is through a different microphone, mixed into Logic on a Mac. Just one me this time ;-)

23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great work, Bob. That's a nice flowing river-like feel. Pass my compliments on to guitar-playing Bob too.
  24. Rob Meldrum
    Rob Meldrum
    Well, I've been lurking and watching, and one of my New Year's resolutions was to start posting. So, here is my first shot at this. Very new to the mandolin, but I am really enjoying myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66SZU...A_MSjdB93RiYpI

How do you embed videos here???

Thanks,

Rob
  25. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Robster, that's a great first post! Welcome! If you click on the full reply instead of quick reply, there's an image of a filmstrip on a button. It's right above the youtube image. If you click on that, you can put the link for your video there and it will show up in your post.

And Marcelyn, thanks!
  26. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice first post Rob. And welcome to another Washington picker.
    Gary
  27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    What a great tune, and as always, tuneful versions. Very clean, Robster! Welcome. It takes a little finagling to get the image online. If you run into trouble, folks here will always help.
  28. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Great stuff this week, everyone! This tune was a lot of fun, hopefully I will be able to find time to make a post yet. Well done, Rob. Great first post and it looked like you had fun with this one!
  29. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Late, as usual, but I did at least get another one in. Wish I had someone to play with for this one - fun tune!
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, Aaron, I'm late too on this one due to holiday busyness. I'm getting a message that your video is unavailable. Here's what I've got so far on this one, I want to try to catch up on this week's too if possible.

31. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Marcelyn, nice work! I like those slides on the B part. Thanks for the heads up on my video, something happened during the upload from iMovie but I think it's fixed now.
  32. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great stuff Marcelyn and Aaron and well done Robster for your first post. Here's mine.

[YOUTUBE=Lh5PuLx8YYw]
  33. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Try again

[YOUTUBE=/Lh5PuLx8YYw]
  34. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's Maudlin Mandolin's video - good job MM:

35. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Aaron and MM. Great job Marcelyn – all well worth the wait!
  36. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Oooh, ooh! One more... I've been spending time in the woodshed, but I suppose I should get back to posting more for the new year.

Apologies to everyone for having to look at that half-grown-in beard - twice!
  37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That one really gets your toes tapping. Great job TOF. I like the backup banjo you did too.
  38. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    Here's my LATE contribution. Played on my Collings MT with J75s. Love this tune and it really lends itself to some drone action. I really enjoyed everyone's version of this tune!

39. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good to see you picking again - and sounding so good. The top strings on those MTs are so nice and punchy.
  40. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    OS, just saw your comment! Thanks a bunch!
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Awesome pickin' Rob, and on a GREAT sounding mandolin too.
  42. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks, Michael! I very much enjoyed your version, also!