Week #139 ~ Little Judique

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Little Judique, which was submitted as an old time tune. I am posting this from my phone, so if someone else could post more on this tune, I'd appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Indeed it is an Old Time tune - French-Canadian I think. Here it is on a Vega Tenor Banjo tuned GDAE.

3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds great on the banjo, Eddie, especially with all those triplets. I gambled on learning this one early when it almost won a few weeks ago, so I'm glad it made it. Here's the ABC...
    X: 32
    T:Little Judique Reel
    R:Reel
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    K:D
    fg|a^gab a2f2|d2A2 A2fg|a^gab a2f2|d4 e3f|
    gfga g2e2|c2A2 A2ef|gfga g2e2|c4 f3g|
    a^gab a2f2|d2A2 A2fg|a^gab a2f2|d4 g3a|
    b2gb a2fa|g2eg f2ed|c2A2 a2c2|d6:|
    K:A
    cd|e4 e3f|e2c2 B2A2|agab a2f2|e4 f3g|
    a3b a3f|e2c2 a3f|e2c2 B2A2|B4 c2d2|
    e4 e3f|e2c2 B2A2|agab a2f2|e4 f3g|
    a3b a3f|e2c2 a3f|e2c2 B2c2|A6:|

Merry Christmas to everyone.
  4. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here I found some mandolin Tabs + scores,

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...le_judique.htm
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .TEF file for Std Notation and TABs.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1324833502
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a version of Little Judique from an old LP by a fiddler named Andy Dejarlis.

7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Just a note that Andy Dejarlis plays it BABA, not AABB.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    So does Eddie when he plays it with Eli Greene's Cakewalk...
  9. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    I've been working from the Andy Dejarlis version and will post a version when I return home tonight or tomorrow
  10. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut

Still not getting the fast bits, and watching back it seems very rushed, but it will have to do for now; hopefully will come back to this one in a year or something.
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I was pretty impressed with your fast bits, Neil. I sort of bypassed those in this version.

12. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Brilliant, it works really well with the open string drone, never thought of that; nice tremolo at the end too.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, as a matter of fact, I stole the tremolo finale from you. I'm still working on those fast parts. It's a really weird feeling to have my brain sending messages each time but my fingers completely ignoring it. I don't think I've practiced a song that had a part quite like that quick AG#ABA flourish. I'll try it out in a year again too and see whether my fingers don't listen better. I notice they're still popping up too high as well, so that's probably a big part of the problem
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    You guys are too hard on yourselves, I think you both did great.
  15. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Hello to all! This is my first entry into the song of the week forum. I'm just learning the mandolin and I am excited! I was inspired by some of the other videos where people have played along with other recorded tracks of themselves. I decided to try and see if I could create a video where I play along with myself...literally....so here's my first attempt!

Bob
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Welcome Bob, and great work. I'll bet it's nice playing with someone who can practically know what you're thinking. If more people tried it, I bet there'd be a lot fewer band breakups.
    Thanks Eddie, now I'll spend the afternoon being hard on myself about being too hard on myself. It's a disease.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well done Bob, both you and Bob played really well.
  18. laura809
    laura809
    Nice work everyone. Bob, that was a great first post. What video program did you use to duplicate yourself?
    I haven't been getting as much practice time as usual because of the holidays, but here is what I have so far.

19. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Nice version, laura;

Bob, should you not change your user name to twofinebobs? Next time could you shake hands with each other / yourself at the end? Good work.
  20. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Thanks for the fun comments, everyone, from both of us ;-) I used iMovie 09 on my Mac with it's green screen function. I recorded a background of the couch and then set up a green sheet that covered the couch and the wall behind it. I took a video of myself with the mandolin and layered that on the couch, and then I took a video of me with the guitar and layered that on the mandolin and couch. It was fun to try! My screen was not perfect - if you look on the left side of the video, the shiny lines are the edge of the sheet. I took out what I could.

I really enjoy hearing everyone's videos of the songs. It's really motivating me to keep going on the mandolin and finally learn some tunes. Thanks for having this forum, and Happy New Year!
  21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Very cool Bobs.
  22. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Bob and Bob - You guys are having way too much fun. Thanks for the explanation on how you did this. It sounds pretty straight forward but will probably take me a year or two before I figure it out. You sounded great. Thanks for your posting and welcome to SAW.
  23. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    Thank you gentlemen! I'm excited to be part of the group! Nice to meet you all!