Jefferson and Liberty (The Gobby O)

1. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    My brother introduced this to me on hammered dulcimer. Apparently The Gobby O is an old Irish tune to which someone put the lyrics to Jefferson and Liberty, a patriotic song extoling the virtues of the author of our Declaration of Independence.

X:1
    T:The Gobby O -- Jig (or Jefferson and Liberty)
    R:jig
    B:Ryan's Mammoth Collection
    N: 85 434
    Z: Contributed by Ray Davies, ray:davies99.freeserve.co.uk
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:Am
    A/B/|\
    c2A A^GA | E2A ABc | B2G GBc | dBG GAB |
    c2A A^GA | E2A A2e | edc BAB | E2A A2:|
    |:c|\
    A2B c2d | e2f g3 | e2f g2e | dBG G2E |
    A2B c2d | efg a3 | edc BAB | E2A A2:|
  2. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice Martin. I've just copied this one and The Banshee (McMahon's Reel) and added them to my never ending collection of tunes to learn. Thanks for digging these out.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm familiar with the tune which I seem to remember has Gaelic words - Teir Abhaile Liom? or somesuch... but I don't ever recall it being called the Gobby-O... It'll be buried in subconcious somewhere... I'll see if I can dig it out...
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Ah, here it is - or at least close - Teir Abhaile Riu...

5. Eddie Sheehy
    Teir Abhaile Riu is also knon as the Behind the Bush in the Garden:

X: 1
    T: Behind The Bush In The Garden
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    |:B|c2A AGE|c2A AGE|G2A G2E|GAG GEG|
    c2d e2a|g2e d2e|c2A BAG|A3 A2:|
    |:B|c2B c2d|eag e2d|c2B c2d|e2G G2B|
    [1c2B c2d|eag e2d|c2A BAG|A3 A2:|
    [2c2d e2a|g2e d2e|c2A BAG|A3 A2||
  6. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Mmm. Very similar Eddie, but different enough I think they could not be called the same tune.
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I learned this one recently and made a recording with my phone. I don't have that nice Gaelic lilting feel that Martin exhibits yet, but I love this tune and think it's a good one for warm ups.

8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice playing Mark. You pull a very nice tone out of that Collings!
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks luurtie!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow - Mark, should anybody on the Cafe ever again complain about their "fat fingers" preventing them from playing the tiny fretboard, I'll show them your video to prove they have no point. Your hands look like you could mash raw potatoes with them, and I wish that you had withdrawn your right hand just once so we could actually see if there is a mandolin underneath

BTW that "gaelic lilting feel" Martin did is easy to achieve by just doing the odd hammer-on now and then, i.e. fretting more, picking less. I once said that Martin could play a whole tune with just picking once at the beginning and using up the sustain over the rest of the time. His mandolin is good at that, and yours could do it, too.
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Cracked me up about the hands comments, Bertram, my sons say that I have Popeye hands and forearms. Seems 80% of the muscle tissue in my body is concentrated in my forearms. The big gnarly fingers give trouble fretting cleanly even on adjacent guitar strings and I require a great deal of slow practice on the mandolin. BTW, I put all the hammer-ons I felt I could get away with into this one; if they're not noticed then I suppose they're alright. Some of them don't sound out cleanly enough to me.