Week #135 ~ President Garfield's Hornpipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner by overwhelming majority, is President Garfield's Hornpipe.

I'm not familiar with this tune, here's what I've found:

Here is a link to the tune in G on abcnotation.com (from John Chamber's collection), and the abc from that link:

X: 1
    T: President Garfield's Hornpipe (G)
    C: Harry Carleton
    B: Ryan's Mammoth Collection of Fiddle Tunes
    R: hornpipe
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    Z: 2000 John Chambers jc:trillian.mit.edu
    K: G
    BA \
    | "G"GDB,D GDB,D | GFGA BABc | "D7"dAFA dAFA | d^cde d=cBA |
    | "G"GDB,D GDB,D | GFGA BABc | "D7"defe dcBA | "G"G2B2 G2 :|
    |: gf \
    | "C"ecGE CEGe | "G"dBGD B,DGd | "D7"cFed cFed | "G"BGed BGgf |
    | "C"ecGE CEGe | "G"dBGD B,DGd | "D7"^cdfe d=cBA | "G"G2B2 G2 :|

Here is a link to the tune in C from abcnotation.com (from mandozine) and the abc from that link:

X:44b
    T:President Garfield's hornpipe
    S:Jim Coon to CoMandoList TOW
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:214
    K:C
    z6dc|:_BFDF BFDF|_BFDF Bcd^d|fcAc fcAc|fefg f^d=dc|!
    _BFDF BFDF|_BFDF Bcd^d| \
    f_bag f^d=dc|1_BdcA B2dc:|2_BdcA B2_ba|!
    |:g^d_BG ^DGBg|fd_BF DFBd|^dcgf dcgf| \
    d_Bgf dB_ba|!
    g^d_BG ^DGBg|fd_BF DFBd|^dgfd =dc_BG|1F_BAcB2_ba:|2_BdcAB4| \

Here is a link to the tune in Bflat on abcnotation.com (from John Chambers) and the abc from that link:

X: 1
    T: PRESIDENT GARFIELD'S -- HORNPIPE
    C: Harry Carleton
    B: Ryan's Mammoth Collection of Fiddle Tunes
    R: hornpipe
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/16
    Z: Contributed 20000427134328 by John Chambers jchambers:casc.com
    K: Bb
    (udc) \
    | BFDF BFDF | BABc dcde | fcAc fcAc | f=efg f_edc |
    | BFDF BFDF | BABc dcde | fgag fedc | B2d2B2 :|
    |: (uba) \
    | geBG EGBg | fdBF DFBf | eAgf eAgf | dBgf dBba |
    | geBG EGBg | fdBF DFBf | =efag f_edc | B2d2B2 :|
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    If you want a real pinky workout, try the third version in Bb.
  3. luurtie
    luurtie
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/garfield2.txt if you want the tabs in in Bb.
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Great litte tune!

The version in G is the easiest, though the third measure in B is a finger twister that's easier to play if you keep your first finger on the C and your second on the F# through the measure. The middle version, in C, is the most complicated. The Bb version isn't as scary as it appears, though it is indeed a pinky workout. It's listed first in the Fiddler's Companion, which is a pretty good resource on where these tunes came from, so I'm wondering if that is the original key. I found what appears to be a link to a pdf of the 1883 Ryan's Collection. It's talking a while to download. If I get it, I'll let you know what key the tune is in that book. Does anybody have the collection an know for sure?

Link: http://violinsheetmusic.org/collecti...collection.pdf

I've been looking for another tune to play with "New Camptown Races," the only other tune I know in Bb, so I'm going to work up that one. Bb tunes pretty few and far between.

President Garfield was a fiddler, and an amazing person, though it doesn't appear he wrote this tune. I believe he is credited with "Garfield's Blackberry Blossom," which is a cool (of course) tune that was in Ed Haley's repertoire.

LATER: Download the collection! It's filled with great tunes! The original key is Bb.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Mike I have Ryan's Collection and the tune is in Bb composed by Harry Carleton. There is also a companion piece: President Grant's Hornpipe also in Bb. I'm working on the Bb version but the B part is quite a challenge.
  6. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I saw the President Grant's! ... So, do you think this tune should have a pronounced hornpipe swing to it, or be played more straight? It's almost a cross-picking exercise. Measure 3 in the B part of this version is a bear. ... Ah ha! Play it out of first position all on the A string, with the first finger on the Eb.
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is the .TEF file link for the tune in G. If you would like either of the others, please let me know.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1322248443
  8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    There's a nice version of this tune in C that is a medley with President Grant's and Rising Fawn Reel on the Baldassari, Reischman, Bullock "Traveller's" cd. A highly recommended cd if you don't have it already!
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here it is in Bb on a Savannah.

[YOUTUBE]Qq3H1SaQMw8[/YOUTUBE]
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Wonder if this will work
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    Good work Maudin, jou did it! I'm still practising on this difficult tune, cramping fingers and still a lot of mistakes. Ik hope I can pull it off later this week.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Maudlin that was impressive, as you can see I can only make through 1 A part and 1 B part without screwing up badly. This was by far the most difficult tune I have tried to date. I could have chosen an easier key but I prefer the sound in Bb, it must have been written in that key for a reason. I will do my Eddie impression and set this as a marker for improvement.

13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely done Maudlin and David. Bb is indeed a popular key on the fiddle, however a hornpipe is always a challenge and Bb adds a little extra hurdle on the mandolin. This is one you've got to memorize and work out the most economical fingerings for before attempting to increase it in tempo or else you're sunk. Think I'll need a couple more days of practice at least ... especially the B part.
  14. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here's my version of this tune in Bb. The second part is difficult to play so I won't go any faster than this.

15. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Enjoyed all the videos so far; David, your video is very clear visually, making it easier for me to learn this, thanks; hopefully post my first SAW vidoe sometime later today.
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Man, you guys picked this fingerbuster up real quick! It's a tough one! Killer! One question: what is the difference between the C version and the Bb version ABCs up above besides a couple of different notes? They both sound the same to me? The recording I mentioned above is actually in Bb, I guess?
  17. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I think you are right Rob the C version looks exactly the same but with the flats included as incidentals and D# instead of Eb.
    Very nicely played David and luurtie- the B part is a killer. I will keep practising it and see if there is any improvement in a few weeks time.
    Look forward to seeing yoyr version Neil.
  18. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice work. I'm still woodshedding this bad boy.
  19. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Far from perfect, but if I don't post something now I'll never be happy with it;

Hopefully the embedding of the video will work as I've never tried it before.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Neil, that was great, and the embedding worked like it should! Hope to see and hear more from you!
  21. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow Neil, what do you mean with "Far from perfect", I think you did great. The second part was outstandimg, and I know how difficult it is. I think I played it at least 100 times before I posted it.
  22. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Cheers both of you; Luurtie, I wish I could say I only played it 100 times before posting
  23. luurtie
    luurtie
    Ahum, I said "at least" ...... My wife said at least 200 times
  24. luurtie
    luurtie
    What kind of mandolin do you play? It looks like a Army-Navy Gibson..It has a nice sound for this kind of music..
  25. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Neil, I would very much like to have that long, straight pinky finger you are sporting. Please send to me. You may mail postage due. Seriously, that was a nice job on a tricky tune. That's goes for everyone. I don't think I'm going to attempt this one.
  26. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Martin - Well I've got a spare one I don't use on the other hand so I'll see what I can do

Luurtie - It's a Tonewood AN-100, yeah it's based on the gibson Army Navy one. As it's my first mandolin, it's well in the cheaper range (i don't think they sell them in US, but guess it would probably be in the range of $100 if so), I'll buy a better one once my wallet can afford it and my ears can appreciate it, but I must say to me at least it sounds better than others in its price range. And the pick's a Jim Dunlop Jazz III.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I was wondering just how 'hornpipey' this is traditionally played (since most hornpipes are notated with straight eighth notes, and it's up to YOU to play it dotted)... so I was looking on You Tube, and found this. They are playing it in G... and while they aren't mandolins, I like it!

28. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That is a nice one Barbara. In my experience most hornpipes sound fine played straight, but then I'd call them a reel. President Garfield's Reel is just fine. I do love the hornpipe swing though.
  29. luurtie
    luurtie
    Not my cup of tea, I don't exactly know how a hornpipe must be played. I think David played the most "horpipy" version but I might be wrong. Is there a jury for the most authentic play in this group? I'd like some opinions...
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    My hat is off to you all who take the pains to play Bb straight. I'll stay out of this since all I'd do is put a capo on the 3rd fret. I'll be in my current tune memory consolidation sabbatical...

31. luurtie
    luurtie
    I'd never thought about a capo for my mandolin Where can I buy one, my family needs me
  32. laura809
    laura809
    This is a little rough, and I didn't even attempt to repeat it for fear my left forearm would collapse. I was really impressed with how quickly some of you were able to get this down. Great first post Neil. You picked a really tough tune to start with and did a great job with it.
  33. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice job Laura.
  34. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Not there but out of time for the week. : )

35. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Mike, sounded pretty good to me. In fact, since it's a hornpipe you could even slow it down a little.
  36. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Really liked that version, mike; I tried to incorporate double stops and slides to other positions, but couldn't really pull it off like that.
  37. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Mike. I liked the tempo. You didn't have to dress for us.
    We actually seem to prefer pajamas.
  38. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What do you know, fifth night's the charm. I've listened to you guys all week thoroughly impressed. Mike, great job and fun variations. I'll have to learn a few of those when I'm not so sick of this tune. Here's mine in the humble key of G.

39. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    fantastic
  40. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I love the triplets, Marcelyn.
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much Mike and Niel.
    Niel, welcome to the group, and if you can play this one so cleanly and so early in the week , I have high hopes for hearing a lot more of your submissions around here.
    Mike, the triplets evolved as a smoke screen to distract listeners from all the missed notes.
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great submissions, all! I may even get this one recorded! Marcelyn, I see your ceiling fan going in the reflection on your picture on the wall... I've discovered that ceiling fans wreak havoc on the sound of mandolins, etc!
  43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Barbara, nothing gets by you. You're like one of those FBI agents that can extract every detail about a criminals location from a 30 second ranson video.
  44. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Great work Neil, Mike, Laura and Marcelyn. I'm still working on this #$#$#$#%& tune. That Bb alternate picking on the 3 strings in the B part is so hard for me! Great work!
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, ah yes, I have super power powers of observation, haha! Or, maybe I'm just easily distracted by things like reflections, cats, dogs, and children's antics!!! But, the ceiling fan caught my eye, because one of our band members ALWAYS comments on ceiling fans, and has this thing he does, where he says "ahhhhhh" while thumping on his throat, to give an idea of what it makes our instruments sound like!

And, I DO watch CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc... so, I'm pretty schooled in detective work, haha!
  46. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    In my experience ceiling fans are worst on windblown instruments like a whistle; make them darn near unplayable.
  47. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here is sunny California we always have box fans blowing and it's nearly impossible to tune an instrument with one of those darned things going... but if you turn them off the sweat drips into your eyes from the heat and you then can't see what you're doing...

Rob I'm still working on this #$#$#$#%& tune too! I've got it memorized and hopefully my fingers will develop their "muscle memory" such that I can get through it three of four times in a row – without going off the rails that is!
  48. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Finally got it down on video! Only one mandolin player was injured in the production of this video and I expect I'll stay away from the key of Bb for at least 6 months in order to get the cramp out of my hand.... This one is played with a Kentucky KM600 mandolin with a Texas swing kind of back up played on a Simon & Patrick guitar.

49. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That was swingy, maaaaaan! The work was well worth the wait for sure, Michael!

Gosh...why is my left hand so sore?.....
  50. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow Michael, that's a nice composition. Very nice to listen to! I will rip it to mp3 to play it on my way to work! You let it blend so well with that nice swinging guitar!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast