Week #133 ~ Tripping Up the Stairs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Tripping Up the Stairs, which is an IT jig.

I found several slightly different ABC's...

This one is from thesession.org. They say that this is also known as The Evesdropper, Plains Of Kilkorkery, The Plains Of Kilkorkery, The Pride Of Kildare, Roscabury, Sacho's, Sacko's, Sackos, Sackow's, Sackows, The Syracuse, Tripping Up Stairs, Tripping Up The Stairs.

X: 1
    T: Tripping Up The Stairs
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |:FAA GBB|FAd fed|cBc ABc|dfe dAG|
    FAA GBB|FAd fed|c2c ABc|dfe d2A:|
    dBB fBB|dBB fed|cAA eAA|efe edc|
    dBB fBB|fgf fed|cBc ABc|dfe d3:|
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for Std Notation and TABs
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1321034699
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's an older recording of mine.

5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Ausgezeichnet, Bertram!
    Another smoking, forceful performance. Very clean and great sound. You made my breakfast
  6. laura809
    laura809
    That was excellent Bertram. There was a lot of confidence in that performance. Can you tell me about the instrument you were using?
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    Prachtig, Bertram!

*Hablo tanto Aleman para ser bien alementado y congenial.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Danke schön, Manfred & Toycona!

Thanks Laura, it's a Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandola, tuned GDAE.
  9. Toycona
    Toycona
    ...Well, ok, just one story. I was in Munich a few years ago and found a cigar shop. Thinking I could procure some 'Cubanos," I went in and fumbled through my very limited German, then flipped over to my slightly better Spanish. The German salesperson spoke no English, so we cobbled together the deal in pidgin Spangermlish...guess you had to be there...
  10. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Okay, guess I have to ask...what does IT stand for?
  11. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Toycona wrote: "...Well, ok, just one story."

12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    IT stands for Irish Trad (or Irish Traditional). I'm not certain, but I think it's the more preferred term for what others call "Celtic Music"...
  13. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Code:
    I'm not certain, but I think it's the more preferred term for what others call "Celtic Music"...
    That is spot on. Some people can get downright snippy about it. I really don't care one way or the other. However since I've been playing this music I've gotten so used to calling it Irish Trad that when I hear the term celtic used to refer to it that I have to absorb the word for a second to realize what people are talking about.

Most of the fairly serious musicians I've met (and I mean only serious about the music, as many of them have been quite funny off-stage) will almost always call it either Irish Trad or just Trad music.
  14. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Well, I want to be cool, so I'll call it that too. Thanks.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine, played slowly (as usual) on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

I'm always trying to work on my technique. I know that it is said that the more you can leave your fingers down on the strings, till needed somewhere else, the better. It is said that you use less energy that way, than picking up your fingers then putting them right back down. That has made sense to me, but that technique brought out two weaknesses... 1) I would use too much tension in keeping those fingers down, which would increase my 'grip'... not a good thing and 2) the mandolin fretboard being as small as it is, there was a tendency of those fingers that were being left on a fret (rather than being lifted back off) to ever so slightly touch adjacent strings (or the part of the finger closer to my hand, touching the e strings) making a buzz or dampening.

However, with this tune, I was working on trying to leave my fingers down when I could, working on not squeezing too hard, and having clean placement of those fingers, so as not to affect the other strings.

So... here it is, played twice through. I know you've been missing my polka dotted jammies!!!

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fine rendition of this polka dotted jig (if that ain't no oxymoron) Barb

I just noticed for the first time that the more economical your first 3 fingers behave, the more your pinky tries to stay out of the whole business...
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram.... my pinky has a mind of it's own. Or, it takes its cue from my other fingers... I can't seem to send a brain command to make it stay straight.... it thinks it may have tea with the queen!
  18. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here's my version of this jig. I made a guitar recording first.

19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That was so nice I listened to it three times and my feet were dancing under my desk!
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I've been through a slumber lately and have had a real struggle to keep going, but after seeing the great efforts here, you have inspired me to get a grip! Here's my effort....

21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, ALWAYS good to see and hear you, jammies or whatever ....
    By the way, the slower speed makes it much more musical and melodical. Remember Geese in the Bog? My wife liked your slower version much better than my (moderately) fast verstion.

That was great, luurtie. Fast and smooth.

Tosh, good to see you posting. Where have you been hiding? Nice effort, as always

I will have to pratice A LOT before I am ready to post.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Luurtie you've got the groove, that's for sure.
    But it was all too short - next time, please remember to repeat A and B part respectively and play it all three times round at last, so I don't have to keep my finger on the repeat button all the time

Welcome back to life Tosh, there's a good boy! And triplets, too! Got to try that final upslide...
  23. luurtie
    luurtie
    Thanks for the compliments Bertram, I will keep that in mind! I noticed that it's hard to play in front of a camera, I played it 10 times and picked the best one. I'm very glad with this Social Club. Very good voor practising and you get a lot of feedback.
  24. laura809
    laura809
    Very nice versions so far everyone. I always look forward to each new interpretation of our weekly tune. I had trouble keeping up with the B section at this tempo, but I liked the way it made my kids start dancing around when I was practicing.
  25. luurtie
    luurtie
    I like it very much Laura. Nice to play the notes a little different, you give it a personal touch. Did you also record the guitarchords first? It was my first recording for mandolincafe, and noticed that it was much harder to play in front of a camara. You don't seem to mind!..Very nice!
  26. laura809
    laura809
    I didn't realize that was your first post luurtie. You did an excellent job. I was impressed with how cleanly you were able to play the song at that tempo.
    I did pre-record the guitar. I usually like to have some sort of backing track unless the arrangement has a lot of chords or double stops.
    It is definitely much harder to play in front of a camera, but recording yourself is great for practice. It forces me to practice the song until it is polished enough to get through it in a live take. Still, most of my videos take 5-10 takes before they are decent enough to post.
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    just nitpicking, blame it on no morning coffee yet: Tripping Up the Stairs is a tune, not a song - in irish trad music songs have words, whereas tunes don't.

Nice versions everyone!
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good morning, Jill.... now go drink some coffee!!!!! If I could do it all over again, when it was announced that the cafe was going to offer 'social groups', and someone suggested we have a song a week social group, I started it with that name. Me, of all people, who plays in a group that prides itself on no singing... it's TUNES ... not SONGS .... I should have titled it the Tune A Week Social Group.... alas!
  29. luurtie
    luurtie
    Although this tune is getting a lot of words! but you're absolutely right Jill.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hey, Irish Traditional, Irish Trad, IT, Celtic or whatever, song or tune, this is a cracking group of notes arranged tonally and rhythmically to produce a toe-tapping end product! SAW is better as an acronym than TAW, Barbara, so a good choice for your iriginal setting up of the group. Congratulations to all the posters and especially to luurtie for a very good first posting.
  31. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sean Cleland taught me some of the little variations in this.

32. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent versions all! Laura, your playing keeps getting better and better... it's a pleasure to listen to you play.
    Wow, luurtie! Hope to hear a lot more from you.
    Mike that was just excellent!
  33. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I could only get through it once without flubbing it up. Sorry.

34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A soldier never apologizes, Martin. You captured the mood well enough to make a stand for Irish music.

Mike, haven't seen you for a while, and there you bust in with a full-body tap that rocks the house and decorate it with variations worth a symphony!

Laura, that's as comforting and homely as can be. I like that matching-color-clip-on tuner of yours - looks like a clip-on scroll invented by Orville Gibson for this occasion (might be called T-style mandolin).

Jill and Barb, in my mind SAW stands for Sound a Week anyway, fits all the sounds we make.
  35. luurtie
    luurtie
    I'm very happy with all my new mandolinfriends. Mandolins are not very populair in Holland, so this is a nice way to meet you all.

Mike I like the way jou added the variations in this tune. I only played the tabs, but this sounds better. A jig plays easier when jou have a play along track, but you don't need it to play smooth.

Barbara, Laura, Tosh, Mike and Bertram, I like all your versions, and it's nice to see how everyone has it's own interpretation of doing it
  36. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Laura, I feel so humbled when I hear what you can do after just a few months. Outstanding!

Mike, no tripping here at breakneck speed. Great.

Martin, one of your best. Last time you reproached us for not criticizing you enough.
    So here is what a fellow learner thinks to have discerned: Your right hand motion somehow does not come from a loose wrist. Sometimes you seem to move the fingers with the pick up and down. But I may be mistaken.
  37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I had two choices:
    - TRY the breakneck speed of Mike, luurtie and Laura, and trip up, or
    - slow down and throw in a few triplets.
    In honor of Jill I opted for the triplets (far from Jill-like, of course)

By the way, I am trying out EXP74s for the first time. They are still boomy. Hope this settles down.

38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Manfred. The only tripping there was 'up the stairs'.
    Gary
  39. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice, Manfred. Solid triplets and a tempo I can appreciate.
  40. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow, nice triplets. That was very good. Although I like every version, I think this was the nicest one so far Manfred.
    A little bit slower but add more quality seems to be a good choise!
  41. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Manfred that was a lovely version there, and I'm constantly in awe of how amazing your Brentrup sounds!
  42. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Manfred, thank you! I think your observation is right on point. I have been struggling with that . . . well, always. I'm not very "bendy."
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    No tripping there at all, Manfred. Perfect time, including triplets. A role model of mandolin playing.
  44. avwdds
    avwdds
    Here is my attempt for the week, not very polished but I was falling behind and need to start working on #134!

Just did a (slightly) better retake and reposted this as the first attempt was rubbish. Also just put on some new FT74s that sound and feel pretty good! Using a freakishly large pointed V-Pick Lite. I rounded the points off to make it almost exactly the shape of the Wegan TF140 I normally use.
  45. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for your kind words, lassie and lads .

avwdds, your video is marked PRIVATE and I can't see it
  46. avwdds
    avwdds
    Manfred, right! Sorry about that. I usually just send my video to youtube from imovie and somehow it sets it as private by default. Nice work on the DUD DUD picking, by the way!
  47. cjprince
    cjprince
    A couple little flubs, but my left hand was killing me after 17 takes & I wasn't doing it again.

48. Rick E Vengeance
    Rick E Vengeance
    Hi folks, new to the forum. I'm primarily a guitarist, blues, old-time, Leadbelly freak, & mandolin is my second instrument. Used to play this tune in my Bush Band (think Down Under hoedown) so I thought I'd give it a go for my first post. This is my new Loar 520, they describe it as a workhorse & it certainly is. If I had a spare $200k I could buy one of the 3 real Lloyd Loars they've got at Elderly right now, but it would be a waste, can't really play it..

49. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Welcome to the Cafe Rick, and you've directly come to the right group.

Good job, too!
  50. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice fast Playing Rick! And I agree, The Loar mandolins are pretty amazing for the money. I bought the cheapest LM220 for holidays. It's sounding so well that I play it as often as my hand build Janish Flowerpot mandolin. As a guitar player you have to work on your right hand technique, I have that problem too. Too much stress on the right arm, but it doesn't seem to slow you down! Well done. I'm glad I'm not the last person who joined the club. I started 2 weeks ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast