Silverangel #268

1. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    Hello Group!

Here's some information about Silverangel #268. Signed by Ken on 10-9-2007, it has a red spruce top and curly maple back, sides and neck with an Orrico tailpiece. The neck is a nice v-shape with a smooth fiddle-style finish; the rest is oil varnish. It's got a well balanced tone across the strings and up the neck, a deep woody chop with plenty of volume, clear definition on single tones...all subject to my ever-trying-to-improve abilities! I notice that the rest seem to have names; mine as of yet is not named...were these given by Ken or the original owners?

Anyway, glad to be part of the group, I'll try to put up some pictures.
  2. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Thanks for the info and welcome! Sounds like you're very happy with your mandolin. How do you like the fiddle-style neck treatment? What does that mean exactly? Do you have the finish mostly off the neck?

The names were given by Ken, and not generally mentioned to the buyers. You'll likely find the name hand inscribed on the back of the soundboard, the inside the mandolin. The name of mine, "Debbie" was written in the center of the soundboard. Also mine and several others have a hand inscribed message, almost like a journal entry that Ken wrote before closing up the mandolin. You'll have to get an inspection mirror and a light and try to read it backwards in the mirror.

Don
  3. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    Hi Don,

Thanks for the tip...I'll have to go looking for the name. I wonder if Ken keeps a record, but it sounds like a spur of the moment inspiration from him.

The neck is unfinished and really smooth. The natural figure of the wood shows up well. It feels like a fiddle that's been played long enough to wear any finish off the neck...that's the best description I can come up with right now.

And I thoroughly enjoy my mandolin!

Mike
  4. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    The name should be on the inside of the bottom, not the soundboard...and right about in the middle. Many can be easily seen if you hold the treble F-hole up to a good light and look in the bass F-hole...
  5. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Also I believe Ken has named every F-model, and some A-models. He may have records on some...
  6. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    Her name is Norma. It was right where you said it would be, DC.

I wonder...mine was given a female name [as were many others apparently] - if the original owner [the one who placed an order] was a woman, did the mandolin get a male name? Just curious...
  7. SilverAngelFan
    SilverAngelFan
    They all have female names to my knowledge. Usually named after friends of the Ratcliffs.
  8. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I misspoke about location. Mine is also on the inside of the bottom. Thanks for clearing that up DC.
  9. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Hey ducati08. I think some of his messages were found where you said, on the underside of the soundboard...