Hello! New to group! and a question.

1. multidon
    multidon
    Hello! I just joined this group even though I have owned 2 Mid-Mos for some time. Both purchased used from Elderly, and great deals! I have a M-2 maple mandolin and a M-14 "rosewood" (actually morado) mandola. Here is my question: I think the mandola would get more playing time if I changed it over to mandolin tuning. After checking with an on-line string tension calculator I think that the commercial set that would come closest to working would be GHS Ultra-Lights which are .009-.032 or .034 I beleive. Has anyone else done this? If so, is the sound good?
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Not so sure that will work as it takes the mandola out of the tonal range it was designed for. How about changing changing it to DAEB tuning, i.e. one full step above standard mandola tuning? That's a very useful mandola tuning for folk/Celtic styles as most fiddle tunes never go lower than D and you can play them fingered like the mando, but one string (and one octave) down. Having the top string as B extends the first position range at the top by a fifth, which can be handy. Alternatively, try DAEA which gives better options for double-stopping and open chords.

Martin
  3. multidon
    multidon
    Martin- thanks for your answer. Is there any problem with a Mid-Mod tuning it up like that having no truss rod to compensate? Can it take the extra tension? Would you have to go to lighter gauge strings to accomplish the DAEB tuning?
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Mid-Mos do actually have a truss rod, it's just not adjustable which is why there's no truss rod cover and no adjustment nut. I wouldn't think tuning up by a full step gives you a problem with structural integrity, but it is possible that you'll find the tone suffers -- that's a matter of trial and error. If you do find that to be the case, go for slightly lighter strings. Alternatively, and easier, you could just stick with standard tuning CGDA and play with a capo on the second fret. That will get you DAEB without any retuning or restringing.

Martin
  5. multidon
    multidon
    Here's an update for Martin and anyone else following. I did try a capo but I found the tone quality suffered quite a bit. It sounds muffled and does not ring. I have ordered some lighter gauge strings to try the DAEB tuning, which I like. I used an on-line string calculator to determine the string tension on a 15.5 inch scale mandola. Using Mike's standard GHS recommended set, I come up with about 176 pounds. Substituting DAEB for CGDA and playing around with the gauges I came up with this ideal set, which gives almost identical tension: .012, .020W, .032W, .042W. I had to buy single strings to get this combination. I will let you know how it turns out.
  6. multidon
    multidon
    I just put on my new string set a couple of hours ago. After rough tuning, letting it settle a while, then re-tuning to DAEB, I have to say I am in love with the sound of this tuning! It sounds brighter and more sparkly than the old CGDA, and the fingerings are great! It's like having 3/4ths of an OM with an extra top string that comes in handy! 2 full octaves in the key of D without shifting up! Awesome! thank you for the suggestion. This will make my mandola much more useful.