Another Newbie checking in

1. Starfish
    Starfish
    Hi, everybody. I got a "learn to play the mandolin" kit off the Internet last month on a whim and have been enjoying it ever since. I used to play guitar when I was in my twenties and really loved it, but i never really learned it. Now that I'm older and more patient, I hope to do this the right way.

I am currently rockin' a Rogue rm100 right now, but plan on upgrading at some point to something that is a little nicer once I get through my introductory mando book...if my fingers don't fall off first. Ouch! Mando playing sure is hard in the fingertips. I have resorted to covering my fingertips with little strips of tape for some relief until my callouses build up.

I'm about half way through the Hal Leonard Mandolin Method book. I think it is fun and challenging. Anyone else using this book?

Enough about me. You all seem like a fun group and I'm happy to be here.
  2. Crabgrass
    Crabgrass
    Welcome Starfish! You're right, being older has a few advantages...more patience for one thing. And I think it's great to learn something completely new at any age. I agree the mando is very hard on the fingertips. Some folks have no problems, but I have tender fingertips and overdid it the first week. Been paying for that ever since (3 months later). So learn from my mistake and don't overdo it. Let your calluses develop slowly. The Rogue should be fine to learn with, but make sure it's set up properly. That's really the most important thing at this point. Look forward to seeing you around.
  3. onawhim
    onawhim
    hi and welcome - exciting isnt it. I used white spirit to harded fingers - but try not to draw blood as the healing can take forever - i had to learn the fingering without pressing at times.
    goog luck with the book - my mistake was flipping between parts i liked and not getting the basics down so i can only advise take you time!
  4. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    Welcome! This is a really nice place to hang out when you're trying to give your fingers a break
  5. jdawson
    jdawson
    Welcome! No turning back now.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Hey Starfish, welcome to our merry band of newbies! Good to have you here.

I'm of the opinion that any mandolin is good enough to help you catch the bug and learn the basics, so embrace your current instrument as the one that opens up a whole new world! I don't know the model, but I'm sure it will serve the purpose just fine.

@Crabgrass: Bravo! I think you must be the only person on the Mandolin Cafe who gets "calluses" right in writing.
  7. Kevin Turinsky
    Kevin Turinsky
    Starfish, welcome to the band! Now I'm not the newest newbie!
  8. Didge
    Didge
    Congrats and welcome! I started out with the same instrument. It works just fine for a beginner, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!