Deedley-Eidle

1. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm not sure what the name of this jig is... Played on an Eastman DGM3 Mandola

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's Dingle Regatta. It might even be a Kerry slide, it has that sympathetic openhearted simplicity.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I haven't heard it before, but I like it. That open-hearted simplicity Bertram pinpointed makes for my favorite kind of jigs.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Eddie. I recorded this last year in May and posted it on YouTube but a search just now did not throw it up in the SAW tunes.

Here's the tenor banjo/mandolin version I recorded then. Apologies if this is already in the system!

5. Eddie Sheehy
    Absolutely the Dingle Regatta and it is a Slide. BTW, the Dingle Regatta is a Currach competition - those big open rowboats you see in the old Guinness ads... it's quite a spectacle... This tune is commonly 'lilted' - hence the deedley-eidle.... another good liliting tune is "The Little Beggarman aka the Red-hailred Boy...
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    ...you mean like this?

7. Eddie Sheehy
    Arís...
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And it is such absolutely LOVELY stuff! Feeling thirsty just watching that one again, Bertram. May just head off now for a pint.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I saw the ad in a longer version when I visited the brewery at St James's Gate back then. It made you feel far more thirsty than this one.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes, and this one is missing the end part where the tap runs dry and the barman says "Arís" to the lads who go get the boat for the trudge to the pier...
  11. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Poke 'im in his deedly eye.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing there John, sounds very authentic Irish with the banjo.

https://youtu.be/LpGoTZ-pjAA
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Gosh! Almost exactly ten years since I posted this one, Simon. The banjo rarely gets an outing now, which is a shame.
    Your new version is really well played, with slight simplification of the descending runs but it works very well here.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, I was hoping noone would notice!
    That’s what I like about SAW!

Against my better judgement I’ve been using a TAB player to practice Devil’s Dream for a couple of days along with harmonies and a tumbling forward mechanical reel rhythm but it messed up my 7:4 jig rhythm with this disappointing result.

I had intended to record one of four tunes this morning but as always I opened the ‘To Do’ book and now it’s a different tune.
    But it definitely needs ironing out.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Now you have me intrigued, Simon. What is a 7:4 jig rhythm and how does it line up against the standard 6/8 jig rhythm?
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s where the 1-3, 1-3 triplets in a 6/8 measure sound like this:

-so instead of being 1,2,3 4,5,6 with exactly equal time lengths for each note, the 3 note and the 6 note are very slightly longer, giving a slight up beat feel at the end of each triplet.

Of course there’s a subtle difference between the two groups, 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 which gives closure to the measure but I can’t get the metronome app to do that!

-one way to do that is to play straight, mechanical, equal note lengths for the 4,5,6.

Most people play an subtle approximation of this anyway.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Wow! That is some device you have there, Simon. Does the local ICU know you have purloined one of its monitors?

Seriously, you have said you can't get the metronome to do what you want it to do: inject the "subtle difference" and play like a human (?) - why not just do this yourself without the device? You mention exactly equal time lengths for each note in the triplet; in Scotland we tend to play our jigs with the first note of the triplet slightly lengthened/emphasised and the middle one shortened, giving the tune quite a lift. Possibly comes from fiddle and piping tradition.
    Dingle Regatta still sounded really good in your version above!
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sorry John, I can’t hear you, you’ll have to speak up, I’ve got my capo on.
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ouch! I hope you have matching capos for each ear, Simon.

Great picking in all vids above.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  21. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Simon!
  22. Bren
    Bren
    This thread title minds me unavoidably of the LIDL and ALDi song by Mick MacConnell, a paean to those German discount supermarkets that proliferate in These Islands .

23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Jill, and that’s an inspiring song, Bren.

John I was laughing because in a live context, a session for example, I think it’s very difficult to play subtle rhythms if you’re listening to four or five different (rhythm) versions all at the same time. People hear things differently, play differently from how they believe they’re playing, and then it’s a football match.

I believe up in the North of Scotland they do play with that extension of the first and fourth notes in 6/8. To me this sounds more like a slip jig, and I’d give it an 11:5!
    And then there’s a huge variation in people’s rhythmic definition of what a slip jig actually is, just look at the vocabulary we have for words concerning rhythm -there are not many, and quite ambiguous, and subjective.

So that’s it, we need to define all rhythm using mathematics.

(Signed, the Metronome Missionary)
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    There's that cool drone again! I'm not imagining it! I'm not going crazy ... right? RIGHT?

Very nice playing, Simon. And an inspiring video as usual.

Those were the days 10 years ago, when John could write something about popping out for a pint and everyone would find that perfectly normal. The pandemic has changed the world. And perhaps we can one day go back to how we want to be, and not necessarily to how we were.