Week #125 ~ Star of Munster (IT)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one! The winner, by one vote, is an Irish Trad tune called "Star of Munster"

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Star Of Munster, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Ador
    |:ed|c2Ac B2GB|AGEF GEDG|EAAB cBcd|eaaf gfed|
    |cBAc BAGB|AGEF GEDG|EAAB cded|cABG A2:|
    |:de|eaab ageg|agbg agef|gfga gfef|gfaf gfdf|
    |eaab ageg|agbg agef|g2ge a2ga|bgaf ge:|

In the comments section, they have some variations you can try out.

The above is for the tune as a reel, but there's also one as a jig

Here's a link to the tune as a jig

and the abc

X:282
    T:Star of Munster Jig
    R:jig
    H:This is a jig version of "The Star of Munster", reel#11
    Z:id:hn-jig-282
    M:6/8
    K:Amix
    cBA BAG|AGE GED|EAA ABd|eaf ged|
    cBA BAG|AGE GED|EAA ABd|edB A3:|
    |:eaa age|~a3 age|~g3 ged|gag ged|
    eaa age|~a3 age|~g3 aga|b2a ged:|

I like it both ways!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I think I saw a great video of Jill playing this one a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can remember where that was.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It was on her blog, but here it is on this forum in its run as an additional tune along with some other awesome performances. What a fun song to learn.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...scussionid=458
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, thanks for catching that, and linking to it as a separate discussion! I've linked this discussion in that discussion, as well!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'll submit my SOTW version on either me tenor banjo or tenor guitar since I've already got a mandolin one in the archives! Tis a great tune indeed!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Since I played this as a single tune in the other thread, I re-post my set Julia Delaney/Star of Munster here.

7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Bertram. Great tone and double stops.
    Man, this is fast! Did you use the Amazing Accelerator to record this ?
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Manfred. I use a device similar to the LHC which collides fast 8ths to create intermediate harmonics and tiny black holes which absorb flubs and mistakes.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    The Star of Munster - aka Paul O'Connell. To celebrate Ireland's famous victory today over the Australian Wallabies in the Rugby World Cup. Played on an Eastman DGM1 with TI Starks.

10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Eddie, has a very celebratory bounce to it there when you sped it up as well!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fascinating Eddie - with the slow pace, this bears an uncanny semblance with King of the Fairies. Then, sped up, it suddenly sheds the disguise as if to say "hey it's only me"
  12. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    OK, here's my try at it. Just learned the tune this weekend, mostly from the Mandozine version - I made a couple minor changes, but it's mostly all there. I gotta work on triplets, can't do 'em fast enough but those of you who can really make them sound great!

Dan

13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Absolutely perfect Dan, and it has that trampolin bounce.
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Dan, loved the way you ended it as well!
  15. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job everyone, and welcome to the forum Dan.
    It took me a while to get a feel for this tune. I found several different versions and had trouble choosing which one to play. The version I chose is a reel, similar to the version on thesession.org.

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work Laura, and all the rest of you guys. This is a real driving tune, and there are so many cool versions of this on YouTube by all kinds of people. So here's my version, with my own arrangement based on some of the ones I heard.

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Old Sausage!
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Homely elaborate version there Laura, bringing up details I never heard before. It seems the accompaniment is coming together.

David, that's Ole Sausage style I've been missing these days - and what a rebel ending!
  19. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    That was great! How do you get the accompaniment into your video?

Thanks,

Dan
  20. laura809
    laura809
    I am not sure what OS does, but I record the the accompaniment first with audio software, then simply play it through my speakers as I video tape the mandolin part.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks! Dan - what I do is record all the parts direct to disk using Sonar, a multitracking program for Windows. I video the mandolin track while I'm recording it. Then I save the mixed audio track out from Sonar and import it into Windows Live Movie Maker, which comes free with Windows 7. I tweak it to sync the audio up with the video, then mute the sound from the video, so all you hear is the mixed track.

Sonar costs $$$, but there are some free multitracking programs, such as Audacity, available for both Mac and Windows.
  22. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    Thanks Laura and OS. I need to start figuring out how to get the accompaniment on the videos. Glad to know I have some options.
    Dan
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    I have used Audacity to capture and mix tracks with varying degrees of adequacy...
  24. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well done to everyone who has posted this piece. I found it pretty difficult; especially the ending of the B section. It was too much for me so I simplified it a bit.
    Played on a Stagg.

25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nothing wrong with simplification (I do it all the time). But, with that electric feel, I'd have expected some string bending...
  26. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Glad to have you posting again, OS. Laura, I really liked your lyrical version. Great playing, Dan, glad to have you joining in too. maudlin--enjoyed your version. Eddie, you sound great on that mandolin with the TIs. Bertram, you always amaze on the octave. I hope to get to this one--love those minor key tunes.
  27. avwdds
    avwdds
    Eddie, great job playing it through at different speeds. That gives it a great feel. OS, I like the accompaniment, may have to try that some time... I stumbled through this one a bit and waited to post this recording hoping that I might find time to have another take during the week; oh well! I used my Fender FM-53 for this one.

28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice job!
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good feel to the timing there Aaron, enjoyed it.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, look behind you, Aaron is coming up on the fast lane!
    He already does ornaments like hammer-ons, doublestops he didn't do in his first video just days ago. Tomorrow, he'll whizz past and leave us all (including C. Thile) in the dust. End of prophecy.
  31. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great performances everyone – from Bertram's masterful medley to Avwdds very spirited rendition on a great sounding Fender mandolin. In between are Dan, Laura and Maudlin Mandolin's very nicely picked versions as well as one of my favorite mandolin players – Old Sausage and his very modern new grassy influenced multi-instrumental extravaganza! It doesn't get much better than that...
  32. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I chanced upon Old sausage's version of this on youtube which inspired me to have a go.
    Usual mandolin and bouzouki combo but with a tenor banjo thrown in half way through, if you stick with it.

33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Fantastic playing, James! Love the banjo and mandolin together.
  34. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice! I'm intimidated by reels, they're too fast for me. But, one day, this will be on my list.