Week #124 ~ Geese in the Bog (IT)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one... the winner by one vote is Geese in the Bog, which was suggested as an Irish Trad tune.

I'm not familiar with this tune, this is what I've found:

Here it is on thesession.org

and the ABC from that site:

X: 1
    T: Geese In The Bog, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Amin
    |:cEE GEE|CEE GEE|cEE GED| EAA A2B|cEE GEE|
    CEE GEE|cBA GED| EAA A2B:|cee gee| aee gee|
    cee gee| gaa a2e|cee gee| aee ged| cBA GED| EAA A2B:|

Here it is from John Chamber's abc collection

and the ABC from that site:

X:1833
    T:Old Geese in the Bog, The
    O:ireland
    R:jig
    H:Also played in D, #350
    D:Music at Matt Molloy's
    Z:id:hn-jig-248
    M:6/8
    K:C
    cEE GEE|cEE GAB|cEE GED|EAA A2B|
    cEE GEE|cEE GAB|cBA GED|EAA A2B:|
    |:cde g2e|gea ged|cde ged|eaa age|
    cde g2e|gea ged|cBA GED|EAA A2B:|
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    For a "bare-bones" version, it sounded pretty fleshed out to me. It didn't need anything else .
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, David. Your playing always looks so effortless and is so clean. And when I clock you I notice that it's pretty fast, too.

I think you played all DUDUDUDUDUD ... Is that true? I am working in DUD DUD mode, which makes accentuating easier but seems to slow me down.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I found this variation, as well (from the comments part on thesession)

T:Geese in the Bog, The
    X:1
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    S:Sean Kane, Matt Molloy, Liam O'Flinn: "The Fire Aflame"
    R:jig
    Z:G.M.P.
    K:ADor
    B|cEE GEE|cEE GAB|cEE GED|EAA A2B|
    cEE GEE|cEE GAB|cBA GED|EAA A2:|:B|
    cde ged|eaf ged|cde ged|eag ~a3|
    cde ged|eaf ged|cBA GED|EAA A2:|

Manfred, I am a believer in DUD DUD for jigs... once you get the hang of it, it'll speed right back up!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Just when I thought I'd have time for some of the 2do list backlog.
    I heard this one first from a Tannahill Weavers record and ever since thought it was a Scottish tune (?):

I'll be downstairs starting to practise...
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that's crazy fast! Looks about 145 bpm! 120 is more my speed! At that 145 speed, I'd think it would be hard to play DUD DUD....
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a link to the tab on the Mandolin Cafe:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/geeseinthebogs.txt
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, I will see what I can do DUD-wise
    One thing's sure however: the Tanahills play it all in Bb-ish keys to accommodate the pipes, which is not what I will do.

Another interesting thing is that, according to thesession.org, this is another much debated tune with different versions, some of them apparently mystery 4 or 5 part ones. I predict that by the time I have the 2-part version down, either Tosh Marshall or John Kelly will come up with longer ones.
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff David, I've been stuck for time, but I've just taken the plunge and joined the Mac brigade so when I receive it later in the month I'll have to experiment. Two parts is more than enough for me Bertram, the less the better! As for the Tannahil Weavers clip I have Alba ( http://www.nigelgatherer.com/perf/group2/alba.html ) doing exactly the same version along with Dr McInnes Fancy. It's available via Music Stack http://www.musicstack.com/album/alba/alba
  10. Niall Anderson
    Niall Anderson
    There's a version of this tune in Book 4 of Donald Macleod's Collection of Music for the Bagpipe, which credits the arrangement to Duncan Johnstone (two of the major figures in 20th Century Scottish piping!). It has 4 parts, but the 3rd and 4th are very slight variations on the first and second. The first part has been transposed up to fit on the pipe scale, and the second has been squashed in to the scale a bit. This seems to be what the Tannies are playing on Betram's clip. Definitely an example of an Irish tune being chopped down (not terribly successfully IMO) to fit on the pipes...
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is another "bare bones" version

12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was very nice Manfred. Did you play it DUD DUD? I must confess that I can't hear the difference.
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, it's DUD DUD DUD ...
    You can't see it in the video because I play a STEALTH mandolin
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine, with some variations from the notation, played slowly DUD DUD once through on my Collings MT2O mandolin

15. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Here's my take on Geese, another bare bones........

16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great versions everyone and janey mack all of your mandolins are sounding particularly lovely as well!
  17. laura809
    laura809
    Great posts so far everyone. Being able to watch several interpretations of a song is very helpful, especially since I am not particularly familiar with this style of music. Here is my version, played on my Eastman 504.

I am curious if this style ever incorporates improvisation. I had difficulty sticking with the melody because I was so tempted to play around with it.
  18. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Laura, that's your best one yet! As for improvisation, iTrad (Irish Traditional or Celtic) doesn't really have much a tradition of improv like bluegrass does. However, it's not a stickler for presenting cookie-cutter interpretations either. As long as you stay within the structure of a tune, variations on the melody are certainly acceptable and even encouraged. Go to YouTube and look for a common tune like, say, Morrison's jig, and listen to several different interpretations of it. You will see that there's quite a bit of variety out there. I would encourage you to go ahead a play around with this Geese tune and show us what you come up with.
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Laura. I can't believe that you just started playing.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nice and solid, Laura.

As for improvisation/variation, the situation is exactly reverse from bluegrass:
    - the melody is definitive. Variations do exist, but typically one player or one group of players always do the same variation. Variations exist on the name of many tunes, too (that's where it's getting interestingly confusing).
    - the chord accompaniment is improvised. The question "what are the chords?" is typically met with blank stares, because every guitar or zouk player is supposed to hear what would fit in at real time. Often a tune is accompanied with slightly different chords every time round. Therefore, in ITM, accompanists are unsung heroes (they provide much of the harmonic drive, but the melody players get the credits). Newbies quickly find out that their regular pattern of 1-4-5 does not help them with the harmonics of many tunes and that their other regular pattern of sticking to one chord until they are forced to change to another is not well received.
  21. laura809
    laura809
    Thank you for your comments Martin and Bertram. Your insight is helping me get a better idea about how to play this genre of music. Bertram, I thought that was particularly interesting what you said about improvised chord changes. I started on an Am chord instead of a C based on watching youtube videos, but analyzed the melody to come up with the other changes since I couldn't find chords anywhere.

I did notice that the tab on mandolin cafe for this tune was quite a bit different from the version at thesession.org. I am noticing this is common in many of the different genres of music typically played on the mandolin. Sometimes the different versions barely seem to resemble each other. I like how Barbara incorporated some of the variations into her performance of the tune.

Manfred, while I have only been playing mandolin a few months, I have been playing guitar and bass for a long time, so adjusting to the mandolin is a much quicker process than starting as a true beginner. By the way, I love the tone you get on your mandolin.
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great versions everyone! That was especially fine Manfred and what a great sounding mandolin. Laura, great effort and good questions. I'm always amazed how many different versions/variations of the same tune there are in traditional Irish music. Bertram, thanks for the information -- exactly what I've discerned from listening to IT this last year. Here's my effort in the key of D. It's played on my Gibson F2 with a Simon and Patrick guitar tuned DADGAD providing backup. I tried to get a few "Jill" style triplets in the tune too... as well as some hammers and pull offs.

23. Toycona
    Toycona
    Nicely done, Michael, and that's a really cool camera angle.
  24. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I dub this version "The Greese in the Bog" as my hands were so dirty from changing out the battery in the minvan that I had to add visual effects to the video to disguise the dirt on my hands! This is just a straightforward interpretation. Nothing special. Fun tune to learn though. Thanks, to whomever suggested it.

25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Michael, you can make anything sound Old-Time (The Geese Mountain Cabin Waltz), and doesn't it sound cozy&cool!

Martin, Christmas time is drawing near, so I can only assume that's the ghost of mandolins past, showing ol' Ebenezer how happy he was before turning an old miser. Bah - humbug!
  26. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Ha! Yeah, that's it Bertram!
  27. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    Greetings! Long time lurker, but this is my first post to the tune of the week. I play mostly guitar and I learned Geese In the Bog from an Adam Granger version. Heard a very similar version on the Collings guitar album "Songs for Sophie". Anyway it is the full five parts, in D. Played on my Mix carbon fiber mandolin. Pardon my outfit (and the few duffs in the tune), but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the navy!

Dan

28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Welcome Dan. Hope this is just the first of many more posts to come. That's a great sounding mandolin and I enjoyed your version with all its parts very much. Thanks
  29. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    That's some great picking there Dan! You've really got the DUD thing going well. I'm still struggling with it myself.
    And no need for a pardon on the outfit.......you're serving our country......no better outfit than that!
    Thanks for your service!

Jim
  30. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Welcome again, Dan. I enjoyed your playing in all five parts. I like your outfit as well. I wore one for 23 years (Air Force). I’m glad you have your mandolin with you. I also look forward to your contributions and comments. Thanks for sharing.
  31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Welcome to you Dan, great first post and your Mix sounds lovely!
  32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good Dan, constant solid timing, you can afford to play in any outfit.
    Plus, I guess this is yet another video that would qualify for my long-suggested thread of "playing your mandolin in dangerous places".
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Dan, the extended version and not even a tiny flubbed note. I'm envious and impressed. Hope you keep posting.

I'm really enjoying all the versions so far.
  34. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    Thanks for the nice comments. I really enjoy watching everyone's tunes too - some very nice mandolins and talented pickers! Many of these traditional tunes have several different versions - keys, parts, even melodies. That's one thing that I find really fascinating about traditional music - really no wrong way to play a given tune, just gotta figure out how they play it where you are and go with it.

Dan
  35. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Dan, I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm thinking there's not a strong Celtic or American folk muscial tradition where you find yourself at this moment. ;o)
  36. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Martin, to add some chaos to your wild guess there: About a year ago, one of our session fiddlers had a small sheet of music she showed around. It was a reel called "Glen Kabul"...
  37. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    Yeah Martin you are right about that! Fortunately back in the real world I live in Southwestern Virginia where there is a strong folk music tradition! I was thinking about trying to get a little group together over here....one suggestion I got was the "Kabul Mountain Boys"....well, maybe not!
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's mine. I stuck with the simple Irish version, but tried to give it a touch of Tannies at the beginning. Also, I am shamelessly copying Michael's camera angle - you just can cram more instrument into the same picture.

39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was great! I always love hearing your OM! That was a bit of Sean Connery look at the end!
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Barb - if I can't play it like a Scot, at least I can look like one
  41. avwdds
    avwdds
    Hello, I am new to the group and to the mandolin. I started playing when I was given two mandolins a couple months ago. I am playing a Tacoma M-2 mandolin here. I found the Song of the Week group after reading the description in a YouTube video that someone had posted for the group a couple years ago. This seems like a great way to learn new songs and hopefully see my playing improve! Maybe I will have to re-do this song sometime down the road.

42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome to the group! Great first video.... impressive for only playing for a couple of months! Do you have musical experience on some other instrument! Hope to see and hear more from you!
  43. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bertram that was faster than greased lightning and twice as smooth.
    Good effort avwdds!
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Michael, means a lot to me coming from you.

Very good avwdds, I guess we can expect great things from you in the future. Now there's an alternative to in-play toe-tapping I haven't previously thought of - gotta try that.
  45. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great stuff avwdds. Wish someone would give me two mandolins especially if one was a Tacoma. Until they do though I'll keep on with the Gremlin which I used on this version.

46. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    M.M. at last there's a video that takes a tune name literally - and such a crisp audio. Please, stick with that recipe if we ever elect "An Fhis Phliuch" for SotW
  47. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Maudlin and Bertram, you continue to hold the banner of mandolinism high; nicely done. Avwdds (I'm guessing you're a dental student?), nice job. There is a mandolinist hatching from you (don't worry, it won't explode our your chest like on Alien).
  48. avwdds
    avwdds
    Martin, yes, I'm a second year dental student in Colorado. Learning the mandolin makes for great study breaks. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. Bertram, hahaha, I'm not sure That I was trying to do that or that I even noticed at the time. Maybe I just need more help than most staying in time or just can't keep still? It is great to see and hear all of the variations that everyone does!