Week #119 ~ Run Boy Run

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Run Boy Run, which was submitted as an Old Time Tune.

I'm not familiar with this tune. but I did find it in The Fiddler's Companion online. This tune was apparently known as Run, (socially unacceptable slang for Negro), Run, and does have history and lyrics on Fiddler's Companion site.

This is the ABC from that site:

X:1
    T:Run, Boy, Run
    L:1/8
    M:2/4
    S: Viola “Mom” Ruth – Pioneer Western Folk Tunes (1948)
    K:G
    d/e/d/B/ GG|D/G/A/G/ Bd|d/e/d/B/ Gc|B/G/A/F/ Gd:|
    |:g/a/g/e/ dd|A/d/e/d/ fa|g/a/g/e/ dd|B/G/A/F/ Gd:|

Here is another link to the notation from "Documenting the American South"

This is interesting reading on "Negro Folk Expressions: Spirituals, Seculars, Ballads & Work Songs".
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a very interesting historical perspective on this old time song from a man named Jim Treat who was born in 1851. Another name for this tune is the Patteroller's Song.

http://www.okgenweb.org/collection/n...threat_jim.htm
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This is a lively little fiddle tune- certainly more my style than the Lee Hazlewood or Link Wray songs.

4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is a fun tune and well played, Duncan. Congratulations on being first out of the gate this week.

It's happened again that I seem to be learning a completely different melody. That's what you get from learning it from a banjo player, I guess.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's the version of Pateroller's I learned.
  6. GKWilson
    GKWilson

This is the only one I found.
    I hope this clears up any confussion. Not.
  7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I found THE song on a Russian Page on Google.
    It's done by the Skillet Lickers several decades ago.
    You must Google 'Run N##### Run'.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I found that one too, Gary, by searching Run Boy Run on Youtube. That was the only thing to come up that sounded remotely old time, but I had a hard time picking out the melody. I've listened to Duncan's a few times, but can't tell if it's derived from the Skilet Licker version or not. If he could record another with the whooping and hollering added in, it might help to decide.
    When I searched for Paterollers, there were a lot more results. I used a slow clawhammer version to figure it out. The only other mandolin offering of this tune on Youtube seems to be from Michael's medly of Hobbart's Transformation and Paterollers.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcelyn, the version I used in the medley came from a banjo picker named John Courtright who I pick with. I'm working on the Skillet Licker's version, and you're right, the melody is mighty sparse. (They do have twin fiddles to confuse it even more.)
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm looking forward to that one, Michael. Is the Paterollers Song in your medly at all related to the Skillet Lickers tune or is it just a case of the same name on two totally different tunes? I think that's the one I posted It really doesn't sound similar to me except that they're both sort of repetitive.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcelyn, I'll have to ask John where his version came from, I just learned it from his clawhammer banjo playing. I'd never heard a fiddler play it till I listened to the Skillet Lickers. I think your version and mine (from the medley) must be related but I'm not exactly sure how -- maybe they're distant cousins! The Skillet Licker's version I'm working on doesn't seem to be the same tune at all -- but maybe it's the great, great, great grandpa...

Great version and playing by the way, Marcelyn!

Here's my old F2 Gibson backed up with guitar trying to get a little flavor of the Skillet Licker's "Pateroller's Song."

12. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice versions. I especially like the Michael's homage to the Skillet Licker's! I looked at three versions of this and like them all. But the names "J.P. and Annadeene Fraley" on the "Run, Johnny, Run A" version "Fiddlers Fakebook" got me to settle on this one. It starts out as a sashay and then turns into a run.

13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice ones, guys. It takes tallent to get a repetitive tune like this to sound great.