Week #118 ~ Cooley's Reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Cooley's reel, an Irish Trad tune.

Here is a link to the tune on www.thesession.org. Make sure you read the 'comment's page... interesting history, and such!

Here are the ABC's from that site:

X: 1
    T: Cooley's
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Emin
    |:D2|EBBA B2 EB|B2 AB dBAG|FDAD BDAD|FDAD dAFD|
    EBBA B2 EB|B2 AB defg|afe^c dBAF|DEFD E2:|
    |:gf|eB B2 efge|eB B2 gedB|A2 FA DAFA|A2 FA defg|
    eB B2 eBgB|eB B2 defg|afe^c dBAF|DEFD E2:|

Here's a link to a slightly different notated version on abctunesearch

and the ABC from that site:

X: 13
    T:Cooley's Reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:180
    K:Em
    D2-|:"Em"EB {B}{c} BA B2 EB| {B}{c} B2 AB dBAG|
    "D"(3FED AD BDAD|FDFA dAFD|
    "Em"EB {B}{c} BA B2 EB| {B}{c} B2 AB defg|
    "D"afge dBAF|1 DEFD "Em"EGFD:|2 DEFD "Em"Egfg|:
    "Em"eB (3BBB eBgB|eB (3BBB g-edB|
    "D"A2 FA dAFB|ADFA B^cdf|
    "Em"eB (3BBB eBgB|edB^c defg|
    "D"afge d-BAF|1 DEFD- "Em"Egfg:|2 DEFD- "Em"EGFD||E8||

Here's a link to a midi file

and lastly, here is my rough ABC transcription of the way this tune is notated in "Irish Session Tunes The Blue Book" selected by Brid Cranitch.

X: 13
    T:Cooley's Reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:180
    K:Em
    D2-|:"Em"EB {B}{c} BA B2 EB| {B}{c} B2 AB dBAG|
    "D"(3FED AD BDAD|FDFA BAGF|
    "Em"EB {B}{c} BA B2 EB| {B}{c} B2 AB defg|
    "D"afef dBAF|1 DEFD "Em"EGFD:|2 DEFD "Em"Egfg|:
    "Em"eB (3BBB egfg|eB (3BBB g-edB|
    "D"A2 FA DAFA|A2FA defd|
    "Em"eB (3BBB egfg|eB (3BBB defg|
    "D"afef d-BAF|1 DEFD- "Em"Egfg:|2 DEFD- "Em"EGFD||E8||

(don't quote me on those chords!)
  2. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Here's a nice version someone posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxEmm...eature=related
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That is a nice one... hopefully this will embed it

4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Here are two versions, once they both finish being rendered. (Which in Iowa, calls up visions of rendering trucks.) Sally Gardens & Cooley's, first on the fiddle, then the mandolin. I really like to play these minor-mode tunes with a major. Recording these made me realize how different my approach is on the mando vs. the fiddle.

5. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Mike, they were fantastic vids, really enjoyed both of them. Here's my version of Cooleys, taken from the Foinn Seisun book by Brian Prior........

6. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Mike & Tosh, Great stuff!
    Wonderful playing.
  7. El Dino
    El Dino

Here's mine, complete with flubs or "improvisations".
  8. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Here's a link to Cooley's Reel posted earlier on this forumhttp://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...333&do=discuss

Jim
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice playing El Dino and welcome to the group. How you get them to print Eastman backwards?

Here's mine on the Sobell mandolin the 1st time through and then as a duet with my Sobell octave mandolin the 2nd time through.

10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You guys all sound terrific.

It really is interesting the differences in your techniques between the two instruments, Mike. I like the old time feel to your fiddling and really love the liveliness your mandolin brings to the tune.

Tosh, I'm going to start learning your version this afternoon. What great tone you consistantly get.

El Dino, that's impressive. I love all the double stops in there. Hope you post again soon.

David, I think those mandolins were made for each other. Cool percussion too.
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Mike, you rock on both fiddle and mandolin. I'm envious. Tosh, I agree with Marcelyn--love the tone and feel of your playing. El Dino, welcome and great playing. And David, boy howdy, those Sobells sound wonderful together. Stellar playing, too--what a groove!
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic versions El Dino and David, great playing by both you guys. Ed, Marcelyn and Don thanks for the kind words, make it worth all the effort. I still need to work on the consistency, especially the trebles!!!!! It's inspiring to have a go at the music presented here, there is plenty of food for thought.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions everyone! - I've a lot of work on at the moment plus a pal in town for a visit but hopefully I'll get a free moment to get a vid of this one up soon.
  14. llamela
    llamela
    ... and here is one I did earlier

15. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Here's mine. I did stray from the text on occasion....

llamela, I really like that version. I'm going to practice from that one.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nicely played ten_or_fifths! And your Regal tenor sounds great!
  17. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Excellent work everyone! This is a great tune and fun to play. Mine is still a work in progress, but here it is. I'm having trouble with the little triplets (or 2 16ths and an eighth in the score I have). I may have to just play it as eighth notes.

18. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Ten and Martin. I often think I'd like a tenor with a shorter scale.
    I play mine mostly to backup really bad singing. Maybe someday I'll grow up
    and be able to play it better. Martin. The derby is way cool. I used to have
    a neat brown one. It disappeared one day. I think a previous wife didn't like
    it. I wish I had the HAT back.
    Gary
  19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks. I got that hat for Civil War reenacting.
  20. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Yes. I remember your great video's from last year. Fun stuff.
    I frequent mountainman rendezvous' myself. Just got back from a ten day encampment.
    400 camps and a lot of musicians. Remembering your video I packed my Q3.
    Coming home I packed it extra safe. So safe I haven't found it yet.
  21. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Good playing Martin. Both you and Llamela demonstrate the importance of wearing correct headgear to get optimum results from your instrument. Here is my version performed, Im sorry to say, bareheaded.
  22. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks maudlin. Your lack of a cap seems not to have affected your playing though. Fine job. Gary, have you looked under the seat?
  23. llamela
    llamela
    Indeed. One more and we have a hat-trick!
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Exceedingly late, but August was a crazy month so not a lot of spare time for recording..played on my Fairbanks-Vega Style M Tubaphone tenor banjo...

25. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Jill,
    Great rendition of Cooley's!! What more can I say!

Jim
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I completely missed out on this thread (that's what you get when you go on holiday). Luckily, I have an older one to add - Cooleys is the second tune after Maid Behind the Bar.
    I didn't have the right headgear back then, so you'll have to do with my helicopter landing pad.

27. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Excellent renditions Jill and Bertram, and I wasn't even blinded by Bertram's bald pate. Welcome back from holiday! Jill, do you always start triplets with a the stroke in the the same direction? Up or down?
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I always start triplets on a down stroke - that's how I was taught by Angelina Carberry (though she herself self taught herself to play triplets UDU - something she admonishes her students to NOT do) and starting them on the downstroke is also is advocated by Enda Scahill.
  29. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thank Jill. With that admonision I'm sure I will master the triplet in mere minutes. . . . NOT!

I haven't entirely given up hope yet though.
  30. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Posted on another 'unofficial' thread too, but jsut found this official thread!

This tune was made for the banjo. I have never bothered with it on the mandolin before, but the new tenor is widening my repertoire of tunes

31. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Cooley's sounds great on the banjo. Try it in Am to get more power out of the instrument (hint: you just move down one string and play the same patterns. (see http://youtu.be/siBW1y7HEzo)

Mike Keyes
  32. Francis J
    Francis J
    peddyrmac, youre making great music on that banjo, and nice crisp triplets!
  33. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice paddy , enjoyed that.
  34. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Sounds great Peddy and on a banjo too. Who'da thunk it.
    I think you had the perfect pace and very nice triplets.
    [I still don't need a banjo - I still don't need a banjo]
    Gary
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Luke, it's your destiny!
  36. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here you go Eddie. There is an error in the link from the table of contents.
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Ah, thanks David. I scoured the posts from that timeframe and couldn't find it either...
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks guys, for catching this linking error. I think I've got it fixed!
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Paramount Tenor Banjo, Beard Octave Mandolin, Guinness Whistle... Put together in Cyberlink Power Director 10.0

40. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Eddie, That's fun, but I didn't know you had that many twins...

How do you like PD 10. I notice that 11 is out, now that I'd decided to spring for v10. I'm wondering if the extra $30 is worth it.
  41. Eddie Sheehy
    I had to get a new PC with a faster processor and more memory to get it to run properly. Unfortunately, an upgrade to v11 is as much as buying it new... but v10 does nicely for me.
  42. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I went the converse route; I bought a new computer with enough power to run PD10 or a similar product. After trying the Sony software and PD, I think their capabilities are pretty similar, but PD is MUCH easier to use.
  43. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Amazing stuff from the EDDIE BAND. Enviable multi-instrumentalism!

RE PowerDirector,
    do you guys also record in PD 10 or just edit and publish?
    When I use it to record I only get mono from ONE speaker. Any comments?
  44. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    All I can say is WOW!
  45. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Manfred,

I just use it to edit. I record the audio on a Tascam Portastudio, and video at the same time. I use PD (or similar software) to combine and edit. I learned the hard way why they use a clapboard, when trying to coordinate the whistle clip.

DWP
  46. Eddie Sheehy
    I also just use it to edit. I record with a Zoom Q3 and use the Zoom software to trim the videos and save the audios and videos/audios separate. I then use Audacity to synch and mix the audios into one track (stereo). I use PD to set up a 4-screen Video with Mixed audio. The time consuming part is synching the audio in Audacity - the videos don't have to be synched, at least it's not that noticable when they're not in synch... Dana, what's a clapboard?
  47. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I may not have the right term, but a clap board is that thing that the director's assistant uses when the director goes "lights, cameras, ACTION", SNAP. It usually also has a scene number and take number on it. I'm assuming that it allows the clips to all be put together and edited, as it marks the beginning of the clip, and also helps synch all the cameras that are filming.

This, BTW, may be my next step - buy a second camera, and have them both going. Then you have a couple of different views to switch between. This occurred to me while watching videos of a live performance we did a month ago. (Lots of things occurred to me: the gig was at a restaurant, with the camera on a table. You can hear people's conversations as well or better than you can hear us. So, for a hypothetical "next time", we would need to get something up close to record sound. Maybe the Zoom H2? Also need to motivate the cameraman better, although I did feed him...)
  48. Urbo39
    Urbo39
    Voici ma seconde contribution.
    Le tempo augmente dans la seconde partie.
    Merci tous de vos retours!

Here my second contribution.
    The tempo increases in the second part.
    Thank you with all for your returns!

49. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Tres bien Urbo - that's about all the French I can do Great rhythm.