The Parting

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamie Stanek linked to this video on Facebook, and I just had to get it posted here. This is Marla Fibish, who plays in the band "Three Mile Stone". We need to learn this tune, too! She is just awesome.....

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Not having any luck finding the ABCs for this one. Very Nice, on my list!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Mike, it's probably copyright so the ABC's won't be readily available and neither will tabs or notation. I already got dinged for providing ABC's for Round The Horn... Maybe if we ask Marla she'll share... and we could give her a few bob so she could move out of the parking structure...
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    There are several tunes of the same name in The Sessions and Fiddler's Companion but not the same tune that she is playing.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Apparently it was written by Cyril O 'Donoghue. I'll see what I can dig up...
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Maybe we can take up a collection?
  7. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    I'll have to do my next video in a parking garage

She can really get the full sound out of her oval hole Gibson (an A-2?) and she has impeccable technique. The tune is great, it should not be that hard to learn it from her playing because it is so clean.

Eddy, I didn't mean to ding you, just point out the obvious. I suspect that if you asked the composer that we could probably post the ABCs without much problem unless his publisher controls the copyright.

Mike
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    I hear you Mike, I am well aware of copyright issues but I didn't see the problem with pasting a copy already 'published' on TheSession.org.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Saw Marla play a gig with tenor banjo player Dave Cory last Tuesday evening and they did this one, great stuff altogether. I've a lesson scheduled with her next week - can't wait!
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    From Jamie Stanek's post on FB: " I came to find out that Marla is Ms. March in the 2011 Accordion Pin Up calendar. Accordian Pin Up Calendar!?! You can't _make_ that up. Fantastic. Marla looks great in it too."
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Jill ask her for a tab for The Parting...
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Will do Eddie!
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill..... lucky you! I've only heard her on the CD of theirs, bet she's awesome in person!
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I got the Three Mile Stone album and I wanted the other one she did recently but it seems only available at CD Baby, and after my experiences with them I'm loathe to use them.........Great vid and Marla is a fantastic player......thanks for posting Barbara.....
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tosh P/M me your address and I can pick up a copy and post it to you if you'd like - I can get one directly from Marla at me lesson with her next Tuesday.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Me, me too!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Will do! P/M me your address Barbara and I'll grab a copy for you as well!
  18. Toycona
    Toycona
    What a beautiful and haunting song. Just beautiful...
  19. Toycona
    Toycona
    Well...while I was on vacation, I tried to remember "The Parting" and learn it by ear memory. So this is what I taught myself around the campfire. Hope you like it (warts and all). It made a really good campfire drone...

20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's beautiful. Vacation time well spent. The crickets make pretty good backup too.
  21. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Very nice indeed! Tom, you outdid yourself! You have a great ear for learning by ear.
    In October I'm planning on being in AZ at the Portal Music Week learning some things from Marla! I'm Jazzed!

Jim
  22. Toycona
    Toycona
    I find the melody really haunting, but when I re-listened to Marla's version, I realized how 'thin' my take on it really was. Nevertheless, the fire crackled and the crickets sung while I picked out what I could remember (through the Oregon coastal fog and a few glasses of merlot).
  23. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Toycona. I camp in Oregon a couple of times a year. Everyone I've met there think my melodies are haunting.
    And, my drones make the crickets moan.
  24. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Did we ever get tab or notation for this?
  25. Toycona
    Toycona
    Not yet. I plucked it out of the air. I'd love to re-learn it in its more complete form.
  26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This is my bare bones, no frills version of The Parting. We will have to wait for Jill's version, (Hint Hint) to get all the ornamentation properly demonstrated. Truth be told I'm not even sure that I got the B part right but I just had to give it a go warts and all.

27. Toycona
    Toycona
    David, you are on a roll. What a great job on 'The Parting.' I'm really glad that this song has a life in our ongoing musical discussions.
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That was lovely David - well done! As for a version from me, it'll have to wait til September I reckon, as I'm covering for my boss at work for all of August, roll on September, I can't wait for this month to be over - it's seriously cramping my playing time!
  29. cjprince
    cjprince
    Wowza - that's beautiful..
  30. cjprince
    cjprince
    Wowza - that's beautiful..
  31. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I finally got round to writing this down. I'm still not sure it's 100% correct but I think it's close.

X:1
    T:The Parting
    C:Cyril O’Donoghue
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:G
    GA||:B2 Bc dc|B2G2GF|ED CD EG|D2B,2G,2|G3FGA|B2A2G2|F4G2|A3ABc|BA Bc dc|
    |B2G2GF|ED CD EG|D2B,2G,2|G3FGB|A2E2F2|G3AGF|G6:||
    _B3 _Bc_B|A2=F4|D3CD=F|A,2G,4|G3 A_B2|A=F DC D2|d3 A_Bc|_BA GF GA|_B3_Bc_B|
    A2=F4|D3 CD=F|A,2G,4|G3 A_B2|A=F DC D^F|G3 AGF|G6:||
  32. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    David, thanks for the ABC's for this great tune.
  33. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    The .tef file for Std Notation and TABs'
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...7&d=1323007564
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    David you've inspired me. Thanks so much for the ABC I just couldn't get off my lazy ass to do it myself. Cyril hails from Shannon, a town I lived in during the 70's. I daresay he wasn't even born when I left... Anyways, since he's a bouzouki player I took a chance... coupled with Josefin's Waltz... excuse the extra line - I got confused - but it's all done in 1 take - I can't do repeats anymore (the law of diminishing returns and all that).

35. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one Eddie, I'm glad I could help. Hey it looks like you got a little frosting on your chin there.
  36. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Very nice there Bertram. Sorry, I mean Eddie.
  37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, I think in order to enable people to tell us apart, it is time you resumed showing your hair - which I don't have (I baldly go where no OM player has gone before)
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Even though I don't show my face... everyone knows my polka dotted jammies!
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    Actually I was going for the Mike Romkey look...
  40. Francis J
    Francis J
    I just love this tune, and had to have a go! Playing my Joe Foley, miked with a Sony condenser mike, but also (here's the funny bit) running the on-board pick-up through an old spring reverb on a guitar amp which is cranked up loud-ish in the background to create a "car park ambiance".