Fender FM-60E

1. RBMB
    RBMB
    I bought a Fender FM-60E, sunburst, 5-string yesterday at the Philadelphia Guitar Show and am very excited. I've always wanted to play a 5 or 10 string mandolin, and this is the least expensive way I can try one out. I'd like recommendations concerning what strings to put on it and whether there are any instructions books, websites, etc., that will help me learn the best way to play this instrument.

I'm particularly curious concerning strategies for playing chords. I assume that I should be playing closed chords like when I play jazz melody guitar. I'd like to hear about the strategies other folks use.

I've played mandolin and started mandola a few months ago; hence the desire to have a C string on my mandolin. The 5-string gives me lots of options for playing melody on higher and lower notes, and I'm curious what strategies folks prefer.

Thanks, Mark
  2. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    Check out Martin Stillion at emando.com. He sells strings and a wealth of other things and information.
  3. F-2 Dave
    F-2 Dave
    Martin is a heck of a nice guy to boot. You might also check out Jazzmando.com. It's run by Cafe moderator Ted Eschliman. Lots of good stuff there.