Bach on 10-string, G maj Prelude

1. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Still learning how to best record, not to mention play, this fine instrument, but here is the familiar Prelude in the original key. Buchanan 10-string mandolin recorded into AKG D200 dynamic mike, on M-Audio Microtrak.

Download by right-click and "Save link as" for PC, control+click and "Save link as" for Mac, or simply play in Mac.

http://www.twtunes.com/pages/Bach_Gmaj_Prelude.mp3
  2. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Wonderful job Tom! I started working on that one myself on the 10 string not too long ago. There are some tricky fingerings in there...
  3. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Thanks, Chip.

I looked for fingerings that allowed pedal notes to sustain, and other overlap notes. Sometimes I use my index finger on a bass note and end up using the remaining three for the melody while holding the bottom note. The fact that I can have a low note sustain while playing a melody above it is an advantage over the bowed instruments.

In one place I hold the G bass with fourth finger, when I could use the open G. This allowed consistency in the pattern, and I went to open G for the last measure of the four, where I could let it ring.

The C major suite is great on 10-string, and especially in the Bouree I add chords like a guitar.