Week #115 ~ Hobbart's Transformation

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Hobbart's Transformation, which was suggested as an Old Time / IT. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here is a link to the notation

Here are the ABC's

X: 1
    T: Hobbart's Transformation
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Ador
    e2a2 abag|e2a2 abag|edef gfgf|edef gfgf|
    e2a2 abag|e2a2 abag|edef gfgf|edcB A2 z2:|
    A2Ac BAGB|ABAG E2EG|AGAB cBcd|e3=f edcB|
    A2Ac BAGB|ABAG E2AB|cBAc BAGB|A4 A4:|
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
  3. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Qristina and Quinn Bachand have a nice and (as far as I can tell by reading the same version as the notation above) at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN6Hzss71aU.
    Hobart's starts around 2:56.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well, I had everything out and ready after recording Possum Up A Gum Tree earlier today, and I've played half of this song for over 25 years, so I just learned the B part and recorded it. Hobbart's Transformation is the A part of The Pateroller Song with a B part that seems to come from Kitchen Girl. It's played here on a Kentucky mandolin with backup provided by a Simon & Patrick guitar. The last time through, I slipped into the Pateroller's Song just for fun... I love old time fiddle tunes!

5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, very nice! I'm sure that's how it's supposed to sound!

Well, I'm still away from home, but it's been so long since I've recorded anything, and this is a pretty easy tune to learn! Here's mine, one time through, on my Collings MT2O mandolin. There seems to be an annoying high pitched background sound (or maybe that's just my tinnitus!)

6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great way to kick off the week Michael and Barbara. That Paterollers song does sound like a lot of fun too. Really great playing.
  7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Really well done, Michael and Barbara.
    Here's another example of how rich and dynamic these tunes can be. So different, yet both so interesting and joys to listen to!
    Great stuff - Oh, and excellent playing as well!
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent playing Michael and Barbara. The title to this song apparently refers to the revival of the Episcopalian Church by Bishop John Henry Hobart. Played on a Savannah.

9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great-sounding tune and three very entertaining versions. Love the addition of the fiddle tune in your version Michael, and those fingers and the pinkie especially are flying!
  10. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Hi,
    It's been a while since I posted. I spent the afternoon on the back patio with my mandolin, guitar, my dog, and a beer working on this. By my definition, a perfect day!

Shoulda paid more attention to the lighting, I'm sporting my new Cafe baseball cap, but you can't tell.

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    tnt..... that was wonderful!
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    So is it Hobart's or Hobbart's? Here's a little different take.

13. Toycona
    Toycona
    Very cool, David!
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Absolutely cracking versions this week, another great uplifting tune to boot. Haven't done a vid for this as I'm waiting for Viny to get back from up North and I'll do one with him playing guitar. I have done as an mp3 and put it on Soundcloud...
    http://soundcloud.com/toshmarshall/h...transformation
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tosh, that was great!!!!
  16. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Loved that Tosh...It has a unique and wonderful "Spaghetti Western / Sergio Leone" feel to it. Outstanding!
  17. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here's my first mandola contribution...

18. Toycona
    Toycona
    And, based on Michael's suggestion, here's my mash up of "Kitchen Girl' and "Hobbart's Transformation."

19. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Really nice, Toycona!
    Great playing, and I really like the mash-up...Works beautifully!
    Oh, and your mandola sounds great!
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Barbara, Ed, thanks for the kind words. My only defence on the Spaghetti Western front is that I listen to Hugo Montenegro and Spaghetti Western Swing by Brad Paisley (I'd love to see him with a Mandocaster!!!!!).
    Toycona, the Dola sounds fantastic, great buy.......
  21. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great to hear the different versions of this, heres mine, warts in all!

22. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Y'all sound good, folks! It's interesting to hear the tune played on a variety of mandolin-family instruments.
  23. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Here's mine. I'm not happy with the phrasing I got into, but them's the breaks. Out out of time for this week. I really enjoyed the different interpretations of this one.
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    A veritable feast of listening on offer here folks - great versions one and all, well done everyone!
  25. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow! I must echo Jill's comments.
    Lots of really tasty stuff posted here.
    Great job everyone.
  26. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Here's my take.
    BTW, I'm using a new pick (The JazzMando 1.5mm) in this video. As soon as I started using this pick (just a few days ago) my wife and daughter immediately noticed what they called an increase in "warmth and roundness". They strongly prefer the tone of the mandolin when I'm using this pick. Hard for me to tell much difference from the playing perspective. Comments regarding the tone are welcome. Thanks.

27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice work Ed! And I definitely hear a difference in sound with that new pick, I like it! - what thickness was the previous pick you were using?
  28. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi Jill. Thanks very much.
    The old pick was teardrop-shaped, 1.2mm, and made of vintage celluloid material. Here they are side by side:

From a playing standpoint, I'm liking the new pick a little more every time I use it. I think the increased size enhances my drive through the strings. Also, I think the new pick produces a "woodier" tremolo on the wound courses. However, it will take a little more work with this new, larger pick to get my tremolo up to speed with it...Frankly, I'm kinda glad to finally be a "stick out of the mud" and trying a new pick!
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ed, I started out playing with teardrop shaped picks, in the 1 mm size. I got the Blue chip Pick in the large triangle size, which is my go to pick... but, I also got several of those Jazz Mando 1.5 mm large triangle picks, and if I don't play with my Blue Chip, the Jazz Mando is the pick for me!
  30. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Barbara, thanks for the info.
  31. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Ed, it's great to see you participating in the group. Great job and The Raven sounds wonderful.

I'm enjoying everyone's playing on this tune! I'm a sucker for A minor tunes so I think I'll be jumping in soon with a video.
  32. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    The light was fading fast but I got through it: Hobbart's Transmogrification.

I really wanted that first note to be a pickup note when I started in on this tune, but once I got the emPHAsis on the right syLABle, I could feel the fiddle shuffle on the first part of the tune.

33. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Don, that is just brilliant!
    Great playing and wonderful tone...Is there anything that Gilchrist can't do?
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    I especially like the little things, like the slides. Very cool!
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks Ed and Toycona. Glad you enjoyed that.
  36. Grommet
    Grommet
    Nice versions by everone! I nearly transformed myself into a non-picker on a Hobart once!

Scott
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Great versions guys.
  38. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Don, loved it....
  39. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Good on y'all. I don't claim to know, but seems to me -- from fiddle playing -- these tunes just beg for drones. YouTube did something to my video. Maybe it'll fix itself after it renders or something.

40. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Just to prove London's not burning and things are pretty normal, here is me and my mate Vinny performing in Twickenham today........

41. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's great, Tosh (and Vinny).
    Tosh, I knew that you were not a spring chicken. I didn't know, however, that you were already playing when films were still made in black and white.
  42. Toycona
    Toycona
    I'd throw something in your opened case if I were walking by...
  43. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Tosh. Glad to see your well and things are back to normal. I wish my buddy could play as well as yours.
  44. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Manfred, Toycona and GK thanks for the kind words.....
    Manfred, I know what you're saying! I'm feeling my age, believe me!!!!! Somebody did mention Laurel & Hardy!!!!!!!!
  45. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You guys work really well off each other. Great arrangement.
  46. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Tosh, Vinny - Very enjoyable. Great playing. Loved the B&W. I know London is a big city, but it must have unsettling with all the rioting. Thank for sharing.
  47. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Marcelyn and Mike, thanks for your kind words. The rioting was a moment of madness, it had been brewing, city types waving their fat bonuses in peoples faces, when they are told they are being made redundant or having wages frozen whilst living costs are spiraling out of control. The most poignant moment for me was a young couple in Ealing whose flat was set alight, possesions and memories lost,but the firemen saved the wife's treasured violin which she had owned since she was 12.
    Thank god for music! Here is an alternative I did which Vin added to (don't know how he comes up with this stuff!) which is not for the purists http://soundcloud.com/toshmarshall/0...sformation-who
  48. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Pretty awesome renditions so far! Here's my take on it, with my Breedlove FF Quartz mandolin.

Jim