Week #113 ~ Mna na h-Eireann (Women of Ireland) - Slow Air

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Mna na h-Eireann (Women of Ireland) - Slow Air. This has had a run as another tune here

Eddie posted this ABC in the other discussion:

Here's the ABC from Thesession.org - slow it right down...

X: 1
    T: Mna Na HEireann
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: barndance
    K: Dmaj
    "Em"EEF G d4|d"E"edc "A"E4|EF "Em"G2 FG E2|"A"E6 z2|
    "Em"EEF G d4|d"E"edc "A"E4|EF "G"G2 FG "A"A2|A6 z2|
    G"D"FA "Bm"D D4|z "Bm"DD d d4|e"G"fed BA B2|B6 AG|
    F"Em"E d4 de|"A"dcA "G"B4 E|E2 DC "D"D4||
  2. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    How slow do you want to go?

http://soundcloud.com/brent-hutto/womenofireland

Just noodling around brainstorming so far. Don't know if it'll turn in to anything or not. What say ye, any potential to this kind of ultra sparse, ultra slow approach?
  3. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Brent; great job! I really like your approach and tempo here, quite touching and graceful, perfect for the tune in my opinion.
    And that has to be your Black, right? What great, dry tone!
    Thanks for posting.
  4. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
  5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Thanks, Ed. Definitely the Mike Black mando there. I think it's worth doubling back and cleaning up that way of playing this tune, maybe flesh it out with a couple more chords or double-stops here and there although I like having certain phrases completely unadorned. It's just hard to focus on a slow song when I'm on a Pipe March kick!
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice Brent. Your playing has a haunting quality to it.

Here it is a little up-tempo a la Robin Hood...

7. Eddie Sheehy
    And at a more traditional pace...

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I think Eddie's tremolo version comes nearest to the original feel, but Brent's introduction of doublestops opens up a harmonic dimension it would be a pity to lose - if only the two could be combined somehow.

And as for "noodling": isn't that what a slow air is all about, I mean, no groove and all?
  9. Toycona
    Toycona
    Eddie, Memories of Steve Hackett and early Genesis just flew through my head as I listened to your Octave posting. Well played.
  10. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Eddie; I love both of your versions...Such classy and professional arrangements. Very nice.
    Both of those instruments sound lovely as well.
    I'd say the tremolo version on the F4 has a decidedly Mediterranean feel..."Iberian Women of Ireland"?
  11. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    I don't get the 6/8, 12/8, on a very long rest in the first part, line 3, (almost 7 bars?). Am I missing something? I pulled up the version that Ed posted from traditionalmusic.co.uk.
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    A simple yet evocative tune, here's my version of it.

13. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Anne; I am hoping to see some responses to your post.
    I am a tab reader, and I am completely lost by the tab on traditionalmusic.co.uk.
  14. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Is that the only version that people are using? I read standard notation, so that would be helpful.
  15. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi Anne; since you are among the literate, these should help you:
    http://breizhpartitions.free.fr/tf.p...Ireland%29.gif
    http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3890 (open & click on sheet music tab)
    I believe they are the exact same, but the first one might be easier to read when printed.
    If I want to work on this one (and it IS lovely!), I'll need to transcribe these over to tab. If I find the time to do that I'll post the transcription here for other notation/ABC illiterates.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely version Tosh!
  17. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Brent Eddie and Tosh - lovely playing all round. I opted for the version in G and agree that the rythmn and timing are a nightmare. There are several bars rest where presumably another instrument or vocal is supposed to take over. Anyway I did my best.

18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I think it is obvious that single note picking on a short-sustain instrument like the mandolin appears somewhat forlorn with this one, even if it's a singing one like Tosh's.
    If you listen to the Chieftains' version below, there's two ways out of this:
    - tremolo to simulate what fiddles, whistles and pipes do, or
    - surround the melody with lots of chords and arpeggios, thereby mimicking what harps do.
    Eddie has very nicely demonstrated both.

I also doubt that a discussion about correct timing will arrive at any conclusion. This is a slow air, i.e. like the wind it is supposed to be independent of time and without beat, and it is basically at the player's discretion when to move on to the next note. Timing suggested by any form of notation cannot be more than a guideline.
  19. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Ed, thank you for the link! This looks playable now.
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I did think about tremolo Bertram, but didn't use it because I'm not confident I could do it justice. But you're right and it is a really beautiful tune that is great done really slow as the Chieftains do fantastically well. Great versions from Brent, Eddie and Maudlin.
    I adapted the abc a little and this is what I did.......

X: 1
    T: Mna Na HEireann
    T: Irish
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: Air
    K: Dmaj
    "Em"EEFG d4|d"E"edc "A"E4|EF "Em"G6 | FG "A"E6|
    "Em"EEFG d4|d"E"edc "A"E4|EF "G"G6 |FG "A"A6|
    G"D"FA"Bm"D D4|z "Bm"DD d d4|e"G"fed BA B2-|B6 AG|
    F"Em"E d4 de|"A"dcA "G"B4 E/E/|E6 DC | "D"D8 :||
  21. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Tosh; that's really lovely. Wonderful job.
  22. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Nice job Maudlin. The way you handled the rhythm gives the tune a decidedly Celtic feel. I think that's a nice touch.

Well, here's my version. I'm not at all sure what I think about this, but here goes...I can say it's an honest effort:

23. dcdan
    dcdan
    What a challenging tune. I like brents chords tosh's sort of open sustain on mandola, and eddies picking on octave mandolin. The problem is on a staccato instrument how does one deal with legato phrasing...everyone is "filling the spaces" differently. I hope I'll have time to give it a go. This time just reading it won't do.
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice efforts here.

Eddie, great tremolo !
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So many great and varied versions here, all you posters. As dcdan said, a challenging tune with those long sustained notes and the flexible timing which slow airs allow. I have tried to fill in those "gaps" by using the longer sustain from the bouzouki and octave rather than the mandolin.

My photos show our close links with the sea and especially with the Firth of Clyde and the ferries we use to reach the "mainland" - though in fact we inhabitants of Cowal are not on an island but on a peninsula which is completely attached to the rest of Scotland! The ferry links just save a rather long and circuitous drive to reach the central parts of Scotland.
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's the style John - sustain forever!

I also like the echo effect from the two instruments.
  27. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Wonderful presentation, John. Your audio engineering made it sound like you had more than two instruments. Very creative indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed your visual presentation as well.
  28. Tavy
    Tavy
    Lovely tune, and some wonderful playing here! Looks like another one to add to my ever growing list of "must learn sometime"
  29. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    That was wonderful, David. Very smooth and relaxing. Enjoyed the pictures.
  30. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow, David, that was fantastic.
    The concertina was a lovely touch, and I loved the photo montage in the video...
    Though at times is was hard to concentrate on the music...
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    Absolutely fabulous David, as always. You nailed the whole tune, the feeling, the nuances. The pix were great - from Caitlin Ni h-Ualachan to Grainne Mhaol. Another must for your CD. I really enjoyed it.
    Eddie.
  32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Knew you'd come to the rescue with your concertina David

But you forgot Bernadette Devlin
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, David. That's definitely the way to play this one. The bowed bass gives it such feeling.
  34. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was beautiful, David. The song begs for wind and a bow. Actually, I'd love to hear everyone together, from Brent's double stops and Eddie's tremolo et al .... it would be awesome.