Week #111 ~ Calliope House

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Calliope House, which was written by Dave Richardson. I found this info on the tune:

"This tune was written by Dave Richardson of 'The Boys of the Lough' and recorded and popularized by that group. The tune is dedicated to a long time friend of Cathal McConnell and The Boys of the Lough who owns a Victorian mansion in Pittsburgh where many concerts, parties and sessions have been held featuring traditional music of many styles. The house was dubbed 'Calliope House' when it became the home of a non-profit folk arts organization using the same name. This organization continues sponsoring folk music concerts and a folk music school in Pittsburgh under the name 'Calliope: the Pittsburgh Folk Music Society'"

Here is the link to the tune on www.thesession.org.. In the comments part, many people say to play the B part first, then the A part. Other's say it sounds better in E...

Here is a link to the tune in E.
  2. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    This is a great tune and there is a brilliant version on Mando Lore by Brian Taheny & Andrew Collins.......... The not so brilliant version:-

3. WillFly
    WillFly
    Lovely, Tosh. Our band does this one for dancing. I can't recall offhand, but I think we pair it with "The New Rigged Ship". Must check through the music files!
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    For what it's worth, if you read the discussion on this tune at The Session it says the original and proper key is E.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    D with a capo on 2... j/k
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Between the two keys, D is much easier to play in than E!
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff lads, you're setting the bar high!! Loved the sound of it in C David! Hopefully I'll get some free time after the weekend (which isn't my weekend - Sundays are now my Fridays...) to try to learn this one..
  8. cjprince
    cjprince
    Here's kind of a rush job as I'm on my way out the door. I think I can do better....

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    cj, that was great! I hope I can do close to your 'rush job'! And, such a tasteful background... I know I can't match that!
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    sounded grand to me cj - well done to you!
  11. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Great tune and certainly some fine playing by you all. Not a tune on my radar for some reason -- is it usually played as a 3 part tune? One version seemed like 4 parts?
  12. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Tosh, David - Sounds great. CJ - I believe you nailed this one. Very cleanly played, with confidence, at a tempo I can only hope to achieve one day. On top of that, your Eastman sounds great. Life is good.
  13. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    David & CJ, absolutey fantastic........Mike, I looked up the version in E and downloaded the one in E, I'll have a play around with it...in most tune books over here it's in D.....
  14. cjprince
    cjprince
    Thanks everyone! I admit - I've been playing this one a while, and it's one of my favorites. My mando instructor sometimes accompanies me on this tune with his cello, and it sounds absolutely lovely. I'm going to try to get a video of it for my 2nd take.
  15. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Tosh, David, & CJ - Great stuff! Well done.
  16. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Nice work CJ, Tosh and David. Here's a quick take:
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great job Ten_or_Fifths!!
  18. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Tens_or_Fifths, you've got the feel......
  19. cjprince
    cjprince
    Oh Barbara - you only think that's a tasteful background because you can't see the dust on those wine glasses....
  20. dcdan
    dcdan
    This tune is growing on me and everyone sounds great..but each is different...SO.....now that I am such a pro at posting, This tune said "fiddle" to me and thats good because it was the only thing I had in my office today.
    I will try to post one on mando when I get home.
  21. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Hi Dan, I agree that fiddle's a great option for that tune....but your video's private so we can't see it!
  22. dcdan
    dcdan
    Thanks tenth of fifths..just fixed it
  23. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Well I caved in also and had to learn it. I recorded in in the key of E to give my pinkie a workout. So it's not as fast as everyone else's version but hopefully got the essence of the tune, playing my Collings MF5-V mandolin.

Jim
  24. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Great versions everyone. Love the fiddle, Dan. I'm going to learn this one slowly, as I practice my jig picking .... as per Barb's recommendation. It might take me a while with an overbooked work schedule and family arriving soon. I'll just listen to you all for inspiration if I get frustrated.
  25. dcdan
    dcdan
    here's my shot on mandolin
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    more great versions! Enjoyed both of yours dcdan, and Jim, thanks for posting it in E as I'd been wanting to hear it in that key - plus your MF5-V sounds lovely! Managed to learn the tune meself, but been too busy to record a clip of it - hopefully can squeeze in a bit of time to do it tomorrow, better late than never!
  27. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    One of the few jigs I kinda know already. Could get a bit more "jiggy" wit' it though.

28. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    This is a tune I've known a while but for some reason am a bit rusty at it lately. Here's my attempt at it anyway! Playing in the key of D, tuned GDAD.
    Kyle

29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle! Nice to see and hear you again! Sounding great, as always!
  30. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, I managed to record not one, but TWO versions of this for ye all - first on the mandolin:

...and then on the banjo:

31. cjprince
    cjprince
    Stellar, Jill, Kyle & Rob! I'm going to work on throwing in some triples & slides.
  32. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sorry about the clipping. My audio inputs must be set hot.

33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Oooh so many good renditions here, and I missed out completely on this thread, what with the recent terribly high temporal density of sessions plus one festival in our area! But I have started practising and will post one soon.

Kyle, I am completely shocked - where is your cap? where is Jack Spira?
  34. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Got a haircut yesterday! I'm letting my head breath, it's hot here now! Summer is in full force
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeah, the head can breathe more freely with less hair! I know exactly what you mean
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Late night, man and granddaughter asleep, I was able to make a couple of videos. I've played this twice through at about 90 bpm (2 beats per measure), so you can see the DUD DUD picking, then a couple times more at around 110 bpm. I'm playing it on my Collings MT2O mandolin

37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a good reference version Barb. Quiet and sweet, no frills, just the pure drop. The character of this tune seems to support it, too.

Somehow, your new late-night film noir recording style reminds me of the last verse of "She Moved through the Fair":

Last night she came to me
    she came softly in
    so softly she came
    her feet made no din...

Anyway, here's mine, paired with Lilting Banshee, both versions courtesy of thesession.org:

38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Betram, thanks! I was just thinking, "it's been a while since I've seen a video from Bertram".... and here it is! Love the sound of your OM, and that's a great pairing! I'll have to learn that second tune!
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff Barbara and Bertram! Such clean playing Barbara, and Bertram, it sounds great on the OM!
  40. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Nice versions by everyone! Bertram, I always like how you bring the speed!
    Jill's tenor banjo version inspired me to do my own recording on the banjo.
    By the way, this is a 19 fret Alabama (Chinese) tenor banjo, and I cheat and tune it GDAD
    Cheers!
    Kyle

41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle, that was great! I tune my TB ADAE, so your GDAD isn't cheating if it works for you! Do you have the notation or ABC for the version you are playing? It goes great with the version I'm playing, I'd like to learn your version, too!
  42. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I learned this one by ear at A session, so I dont have notation... sorry
  43. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Drats! I was afraid of that! I guess when I have time, I'll just try to learn it by ear from your video!
  44. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Everyone has done such a great job, and I've enjoyed them all. I was hoping to add some of Rob F's cool slides, but as you can see I had to focus on the written music. Each time I tried to record without the music I go the phrases mixed up.

45. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Kay - we are all looking forward to hearing you play but your video is marked "Private."
  46. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    ooh, I love the "B" part in Kyle's version - gotta learn that meself!
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Barb, Jill and Kyle.
    Kyle, I think cheating is not possible in tuning an instrument that has no orthodox reputation at all What a carefree lepreachaunesque rendition!
  48. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent stuff from everyone on this one.
    I decided to play in the key of E for a change. However this is the first outing for my new mandola which I cant play yet so just pretended it was a mandolin, resulting in a key a fifth lower (G# or Ab -music theorists please correct me if Im wrong)

49. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I never thought my B part was really that great... but thanks I tend to come up with simplified easy ways to play things sometimes, and I'm pretty sure that's what I did with this one.
  50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, when played with the notation posted here, it makes a great 'counter melody' when played on the bigger instruments along with the melody on the mandolin...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast