Week #110 ~ John Ryan / Dennis Murphy's Polkas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is a pair of polka's: John Ryan Polka and Dennis (Denis) Murphy's Polka.

Here are the ABC's for John Ryan's Polka from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Ryan's
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    R: polka
    K: Dmaj
    dd B/c/d/B/ | AF ED | dd B/c/d/B/ | AF E2 |
    dd B/c/d/B/ | AF Ad | fd ec | d2 d2 ||
    fd de/f/ | gf ed | fd de/f/ | gf a2 |
    fd de/f/ | gf ed | fd ec | d2 d2 ||

X: 1
    T: Dennis Murphy's
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    R: polka
    K: Dmaj
    fgfe d3B|A2D2F2A2|G2E2e3d|c2B2(3(BcBA2)|
    fgfed3B|A2D2F2A2|G2E2e3f|1e2d2d4:|2 e2d2d2B2||
    |:A2f2fef2|A2g2gfg2|A2f2feg2|efedB2A2|
    A2f2fef2|A2g2g2a2|b2a2g2c2|1 d2d2B2:|2 e2d2d4||

I actually should have posted this as Dennis Murphy / John Ryan, rather than the other way around... but it probably works as a medley however you'd like to arrange it.

Our band plays it 2 Dennis Murphy's then 2 John Ryan's. Sometimes, with medleys, it's fun to play it longer, and go back to the first tune two more times.

(my granddaughter is helping me post this, and she wanted to post some smilies!!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Dennis Murphy's, The 4 pound Cheque (aka 42-pound Float), and John Ryan's... Played on a Gypsy Mandola - CGDA...

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Eddie! Sounds lovely on the mandola.
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Hey -- an underhanded pitch! But I better listen to the ABCs to see if John Ryan's/Dennis Murphy's I've been playing for 10 years.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version of John Ryan's Polka from last year that I erroneously posted on another thread. This is John Ryan's Polka played in the aeolian mode.

6. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Hi All.
    For tab readers, here are Aidan Crossey's tablatures for these tunes as posted to the Cafe:
    Dennis Murphy's Polka
    John Ryan's Polka
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is a much older recording of mine from 2009, showing the neolithic visual frame rate I had back then. However, my way of playing these polkas has not changed much since.

8. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Three completely different styles/versions, all wonderful and skillfully played! I am familiar with John Ryan's, and when I looked at Murphy's I thought, great, two easy tunes in one - I can do this! And now you gentleman turned them into your wonderful renditions that are far beyond "easy". Thank you - you give me inspiration to work harder on these tunes. Don't know if I can do it, but I'm trying.
  9. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Eddie, David, Bertram - I enjoyed your posts, you make it look so easy. Mine is about as fast as I can go without making too many mistakes.

10. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Eddie, David, Bertram, & Mike:
    Very fine jobs all, on a couple of lovely tunes.
    Sounding great!
  11. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    And here is the standard notation:
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Mike, once more you demonstrate that speed is not neccessary to make people want to dance - and dance tunes they are, after all. There's a gentle hopping quality about your version that would make nursing home inmates jump out of their wheelchairs.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Aye, great versions one and all, and Mike, Bertram is so right, you've great feel in your version - well done!
  14. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Beach Blanket Polka Mandolin A Go Go.

15. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Great playing, one and all. Ah, I'm visualizing me at the nursing home, launching out of my wheelchair when some young (or old) whipper snapper comes in playing these polkas on their fiddle, mandolin, pennywhistle or squeezebox. Oh, I think I launched myself tonite~they were that good.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Mike R. what a lively medley full of fancy chords and slides! And all that comes with an unmoved face Buster Keaton would be proud of
  17. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Bertram, Jill, Loretta- Thank you for your kind and humorous comments. I’m currently working on three jigs (The Blackthorn Stick, Eavesdropper, and The Kesh Jig) which I plan to post as a medley when I get my guitar player (me) off his dead behind and motivated to learn his parts. I’ll call this the “Geriatric Jigs Medley” in honor of Bertram’s nursing home inmates comment. What a wonderful bunch we have here. Thank you all for the fun.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, looking forward to hearing the Eavesdropper - that's a great jig that!
  19. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Mike R.: Excellent job! You definitely established a dance (Go Go?) groove.
    I found it basically impossible to listen with movin' (feet and other assorted body parts).
    That's obviously a sign of a great dance-tune arrangement. Well done!
  20. pickloser
    pickloser
    Guys! You all sound wonderful. I'm still working on these.

Is 3 times thru each tune the standard?

MikeR, Am I hearing a parakeet? Mine has a screaming fit, if I forget to bring him into the music room when I practice.
  21. WillFly
    WillFly
    I recorded these about 18 months ago, together with a 3rd polka called the "LNB (Late Night Band) Polka". They're very rough and ready, I'm afraid, and played at session speed. The ceilidh band I play in often finishes the evening with these as people say goodbye and get their hats and coats to go home. I play mainly guitar in the band, so I thought I'd have my own session - all to myself - at home...!

22. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    It's good to see everybody enjoying these. How can you not like playing polkas? Fun, fun, fun! Have the Ballydesmonds been done here? I think I'll go play them!
  23. Toycona
    Toycona
    I like the third polka in there especially well!
  24. pickloser
    pickloser
    Here's mine. Lovin' this song of the week thang.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...440#post935440
  25. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    PL - Very enjoyable. Great sound, great ornamentation, great tempo. Thanks for sharing.
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love all these polkas, the old posts and the new. Mike R. your speed and variations are astounding, and Mike O, the arrangement sounds absolutely professional. Will, I hope in a future decade or so to play as fast as you mannage. Laura, your clean and lively style is always something I shoot to emulate.

I've been gone on a fun vacation, but luckily I learned these way back when Four Pound Float was the tune of the week, so I was able to crank this out on time.

27. pickloser
    pickloser
    Thanks guys!
    MikeO, I enjoyed your whole presentation. The guitar work was perfect for your mandolin.
    Marcelyn, very nice ornamentation. I'd trade lively for some of that. I especially liked the slides.
    Willfly and Eddie's speed is beyond me right now, but I have aspirations. How Bertram gets the speed making those reaches and pressing double strings, well, Idunno. And David, your productions are mightily impressive.
    Okay, I still DO NOT WANT an octave mandolin, a mandola, a flat top, a tenor guitar. DO NOT WANT. DO NOT.

(. . .but I'm starting to get a real yen for whatever is making that concertina type sound in David's videos. Uh Oh.)
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Pickloser!
    Marcelyn, there's a stompiness towards the end of your rendition that makes me wonder if a contradance could be danced to that.
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Good question. I was just reading a controdance thread on the Old Time Mandolin Cafe forum yesterday which made me think song selection is very important. I know nothing about controdance, but it's on my list of things I'd love to try. I've actually badgered Jeff about getting into square dance, but no luck yet.

The stompiness is really just tappiness and a highly sensitive camera. I finally remembered to record without shoes, but even socks seem to make a commotion.
  30. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I'm really enjoying these (and the bonus) polkas; all posts have been wonderful. I love Mike R's Beach Blanket title, but even more how he steps it up around 2:35. Wow. Willfly, I like your little surprise stops in Part B of the Murphy polka and your session speed. I'm not officially a granny yet, but I definitely play at granny-speed. I wonder if I can find a granny-speed session? Marcelyn, your lovely rendition is inspiring with its lilting melody and double stops. Now I've got to get busy and learn these.
  31. pezdork
    pezdork
    i'm falling behind already (i have been working on my fccp lately though...hoping it pays off). Its funny to me how different (better) polkas sound without an accordion or a tuba. great job as usual guys.
  32. pickloser
    pickloser
    I'm not going to be able to do the SOW for a couple weeks. I'm going to Kaufman mandolin camp in Tennessee on the 19th, and I am thrilled about it! This will be my fourth time. The playing, listening, and learning is non-stop. With a little more than a week to go, I need to dust off older repetoire and brush up on lyrics and guitar playing. I'll try to bring back some tunes to share here.
  33. WillFly
    WillFly
    The stops I played in the B part of John Ryan's are the way we play it in our band and at local sessions - each instrument type taking a break. So, for example, all the fiddles would take a break together, then perhaps all the free reeds - and so on. No idea whether that's a traditional treatment of the polka.

As to speed... well, with speed comes some wrong notes but - as the great Northumbrian smallpipes genius Billy Pigg said, "I never let a few wrong notes get in the way of a good tune". Which is my excuse!
  34. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Will, I think I'll have to adopt that philosophy! I'm doing what I can to use your stops for my version, hoping to post tomorrow. Pickloser - hope you have a fantastic time, lucky you!
  35. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    This has been another fun week for me. Thanks for all the great styles and positive comments. I’m looking forward the Mike R’s Ballydesmonds. Marcelyn - Great playing as usual plus more lighting. All in all, a very enjoyable week 110.
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The Ballydesmond Polka's have had a run already, but would love to hear more!
  37. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, folks! Anybody else think that Ryan's sounds like a polkafied version of Soldier's Joy?
  38. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Well here's yet another try at these polkas. Didn't know them before, but do now and even introduced them to one of the Celtic jams I play in, since we haven't played them as a group. Don, you're right Ryan's does have a Soldier's Joy ring to it! These have been fun to learn!
    I'm playing with my Collings MF5-V mandolin.

Jim
  39. pickloser
    pickloser
    Good playing, Jordan. I like that mandolin too.
  40. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Great job everyone! Very impressive stuff!
  41. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Jordan, you have a nice relaxed style and I enjoyed your tune, but then who wouldn't on such an instrument! I have really had fun listening to all the posts and deciding how to play mine - I did 'borrow' a couple of things

42. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Nicely played (and great smile at the end) Kay & thanks for your comments! Is that a Collings MT mandolin you're playing?

Jim
  43. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice job Jordan and Kay.Those Collings sound nice. I tried to play them together but couldn't get them sync'd.
    But, you could tell they were siblings. Their voices would make a great duet.
    Gary
  44. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    My foot's tapping! I love your double stops and hammer ons in the DennisMurphy part! You totally have the dance mojo. Inspiring me to get over myself and post my own version.
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very inspiring syncopation Kay!
  46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Had a moment late last night to record a video! My man and granddaughter were sleeping, so I'm playing softly..... on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

47. pickloser
    pickloser
    Kay, that's a great sound you're getting! Well done and totally danceable. It's interesting to contrast the tone of Barbara's oval Collings. Barbara, you sound great. Even quietly, you're getting beautiful tone.
  48. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there Jim, Kay and Barbara - a veritable feast of Collings mandolins going on there! You should all get commission for promoting how great they sound! Well done the lot of you!
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I don't know who this young man is, but this is an awesome demonstration of this medley played fast!

50. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Jim, Kay, Barbara - All three, very enjoyable. Smooth playing, sweet tone, lovely smile. Life is good. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast