Week #106 ~ Spike Island Lasses

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This was another week for a neck and neck race! The winner by one vote is Spike Island Lasses (Spike Island Lassies).

I'm not familiar with this tune, but from what I've found, its one that you have to really get the feel of the tune by listening, but here are 'the dots' found on thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Spike Island Lasses, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |=cAGE AD (3DDD|ED (3DDD (3EFG Ad|=cAGE AG (3EFG|Adde fded|
    =cAGE AD (3DDD|ED (3DDD (3EFG Ad|=cAGE AG (3EFG|Addc d3 e|
    f2df efge|dfed cAAe|fedf ed{ed}cd|Addc d2{ed}cd|
    eaag efge|dfed cAGG|Addc d4|Adde fded|
    =cAGc ~A3d|~B3G~A3B|=cAGB AG(3EFG|Adde fded|
    =cAGc ~A3 c|BGGF ~G3 B|=cAGB AG(3EFG|Addc d3e|
    f2 ad faad|faaf geeg|fdAd faad|fage dcAc|
    defg ~a3 b|agfa ~g2 ae|fedf edcA|d3e fded|

Here are some videos

2. Eddie Sheehy
    When I was in the Reserve Navy in Ireland - An Slua Mhuiri - we used to row out to Spike Island from Crosshaven. Never did see any Lassies there, but there were plenty in Crosshaven...
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I like the pace of that Derek Hickey/Siobhan Peoples clip - that'll be the one I work from for my version I reckon. Angelina Carberry and her da, Peter Carberry, do a great version on their "Memories from the Holla" CD as well.
  4. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Eddie,
    then why did you row over to Spike Island?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    It was too far to swim...
  6. Susanne
    Susanne
    Aaaw, some good old Cork accent - LOVE it. The tune? Rather boring but I loved hearing the lad speaking!
    Well, I guess the tune was a bit more interesting with some speed - like the third video with the fiddle.
  7. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    OK.........so those of you who voted for this tune, I'd like to see a rendition! I'm having a tough time learning this one. Is anyone going to go for it??

C'mon Eddie you've even been there!

Jim
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm working on it but haven't had the time to really sit down and have a proper go of it yet. Might get a moment today though.
  9. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Love those pipes!
  10. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Wow, so I guess I'm going to be the first one to post this. Nice way to come back after my educational hiatus.

I gotta say, pipe tunes are tough. Didn't sound right on the mandolin, so I brought out the tenor banjo (which isn't much more right, but at least I can get through the tune with it). Probably sound better with backing of some sort, like a Uillean piper that knows how to play the tune!

... Ok, so I can't seem to embed videos anymore. Aah... just haven't done it since the board was updated. Much easier than it used to be.

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You start at your youtube video, and go to the address bar, and copy the code after the "=" in the url address bar. Then, go to 'reply' (not quick reply) and type your message, then click the 'tube' icon at the top of the message pane. Then, paste the code you copied from the url of your video. Then, preview, it should be there, then post! Can't wait to see it!
  12. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Great job on this one Hastyman and good to see someone break the ice!! I'm still working on this. Found another abc on JC's tunes.com. Seems to make more sense. What notation did you use?

Jim
  13. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Jordan, I kinda used the abc's posted by Barbara and listened to the playing of the pipers on the youtube videos listed above. Then I just kinda sorta found a (mostly)happy place between the two. Not exactly the easiest piece for a plectrum instrument, especially since I'm not familiar with the tune. I should have made my comeback on the Kesh!
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job on that Hastyman, well done! I keep starting it and then being distracted by other tunes so end up setting it aside. Maybe I'll get round to it at the weekend...
  15. Susanne
    Susanne
    That sounds great, Hastyman.
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great. I love your banjo triplets.
  17. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Well I guess I'll be the second post on this tune. Hastyman did a great job on his TB, so I thought I 'd try on my Newell mandolin. It was not an easy tune for me to learn. So I searched for other versions on JC's ABC Tunefinder and found one that made more sense to me. I made some mistakes but still hope I recorded the essence of the tune.

Here's the ABC file I used

X:1
    T: Spike Island Lasses, The
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:4/4
    K:D
    =cA GE AD (3DDD | ED (3DDD (3EFG Ad | =cA GE AG (3EFG | Ad de fd ed | =cA GE AD (3DDD | \
    ED (3DDD (3EFG Ad | =cA GE AG (3EFG | Ad dc d3e | f2 df ef ge | df ed cA Ae | fe df ed cd | \
    Ad dc d2 cd | ea ag ef ge | df ed cA GG | Ad dc d4 | Ad de fd ed | =cA Gc A3d | B3G A3B | \
    =cA GB AG (3EFG | Ad de fd ed | =cA Gc A3c | BG GF G3B | =cA GB AG (3EFG | Ad dc d3e | \
    f2 ad fa ad | fa af ge eg | fd Ad fa ad | fa ge dc Ac | de fg a3b | ag fa g2 ae | \
    fe df ed cA | d3e fd ed | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Jim
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Jim! And cheers for posting the different ABC's as well!
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job, both you guys! I can't make this sound like anything but a bunch of unrelated notes!
  20. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Never heard of this tune, but the way you two interpreted it, it got my foot tapping and will put it on my "to learn" list!
  21. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    This is one of my favourite tunes, each individual phrase is great but it also seems forever to be heading in an some other direction!

Surprised to be only the third post for it too - it's been over 3 years someone else must have learned it by now?

22. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Nearly missed this one Mike. Fantastic playing, what a tune, great sound from the banjo and an interesting bike!
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Joe (I always had my suspicions about the poster name), and I second James' view about that bike - surely looks like something the Spanish inquisition invented for people with very short legs...