Week #105 ~ Kesh Jig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, great to see and hear you again! That was great, and very impressive rolls!
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version Manfred!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The rolls are indeed not only recognizable but well in time, Manfred - I didn't know that these rolls consist of a numer of notes you can count, though - 5 it is? I can't count that fast...
  4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Barbara, Jill, and Bertram.

Bertram, I got the information about the roll from the introductory pages of the Fiddler's Fakebook. On page 17 they explain how the Tilde sign is to be interpreted. There are different numbers of notes that can be played.
    I only got interested because pickloser asked a question about the Tilde in the 'Mist on the Mountain' thread. I checked it out and sent her the info, and I also praticed the 5-note roll. So it was by accident that the new SAW had the Tilde signs as well and I was able to show off my newly acquired knowledge.
  5. Toycona
    Toycona
    Manfred, Great job with the flourish! I'll post this jig in the next day or two, now that I have this song goin' on.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is the definition of clean picking, Manfred. And I would not have dared to try those rolls on mandolin. Really nice.
  7. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice indeed, Manfred. I’m also learning the Fiddler’s Fakebook version but without the ornamentation. Thanks for the great example.
  8. pickloser
    pickloser
    That was extra special nice of you to send that page to me, Manfred. I'm gonna be practicing the tilde thing. You do it well; I don't have it yet.

Oh dear, so much to learn, so little time to learn it. (Especially since you all have got me day dreaming about octars and mandolas and octave mandolins and tenor guitars.)
  9. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    What a treat to see so many smokin' versions of one of my favorite jigs. Great first video, dashdrum! Wow, Marcelyn ... great interpretation.
  10. etteM
    etteM
  11. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Very jiggy, etteM. It works well using the open strings as well as holding the fretted D for some extra ring.
  12. etteM
    etteM
    hehe, yeah I´m dancing around my teacher keeps telling me to jig it down a little, ever since i learned the d. u, d,d technique, i tend to overdo the first down. fretted d?
  13. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Holding down the third finger for that D on the A strings (I think that was it) a little longer than the note so it rings through. Instead of letting it off on the downbeat while you're playing the E or the G. I like to do that too. That whole measure sounds good with one long D ringing. Or something like that.
  14. Kadenza910
    Kadenza910
    Hello everyone! This is one of my favorite tunes, but I haven't played it in a while. I am about to start learning mandolin (getting mine tomorrow). I hope you don't mind me putting up a fiddle version of the tune for now. These are both old videos. The second one is a little slower and has a variation at the end. This will be one of the first tunes I try out on mandolin.

~Katie

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's some nice fiddling, Katie - welcome to the group!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome, Katie! I love fiddle music, and those were both great!
  17. Kadenza910
    Kadenza910
    Thanks! I'm going to pickup my new (well new to me) mandolin in about an hour. Yay =)
  18. cwboal
    cwboal
    Very nice playing Katie; I look forward to hearing your mando!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very nice Katie - I too came to mandolin from the violin, long ago. Those ornaments in the second video indicate that triplets will come naturally to you. However, I liked the first one better because of that cameo appearance in the back
  20. Kadenza910
    Kadenza910
    Haha yes, that was my grandma.
  21. Shanachie
    Shanachie

Here's is my second contribution. I've really enjoyed hearing everyone's versions. Nice work everyone. There are a lot of talented folks on this site.

I didn't realize I sway so much when I play till I watched myself on video. Kinda funny.
  22. llamela
    llamela
    Here is a younger me, with one I prepared earlier.

23. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Awoke Sunday with this in my head.

24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And what better tune for a Sunday morning, Mike. Lovely playing of a fine tune.
    I was getting a wee bit worried by the smoke swirling on the left of your picture, but I'm sure it was harmless.
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Waking up in the morning is for blues musicians, but we give you a special permit, Mike Smoke on the water
  26. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    OK, so I'm treading water. It's Sunday! My wife Korah and I having a little innocent fun.

27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I just love the way Korah looks and smiles at you when you play music together. What a connection!
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great driving Kesh JIg. Always a favourite in any session I have been involved in, Mike, and the two of you give it that live, session feeling here.
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff, and how lucky to have someone at home to play music with during these isolating times! My better half is a biologist and more interested in bird song (recording all our garden birds for a survey) rather than trad tunes!
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You are so right, Jill. I really miss (as we all do) being able to play live with my usual playing partners. I am looking forward to some of your next recordings when you incorporate snatches of birdsong into some great Irish tunes.
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Mike - both your submissions are unique!
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s a lovely tune Mike, thanks for posting it, and nice to see the two of you enjoying it so much. Lockdown has benefits too.

Well here’s my version, hammered it out this morning, practicing a bit loud, recorded a couple of takes but had to stop as soon as my neighbour started playing the Beach Boys etc. (Which is nice too, but she knows I don’t want it on my recordings).
    May have to put birdsong as the backing track again!

https://youtu.be/AN5MY5M8V-c
  33. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nice, Simon. You inspire a yen to get the mandola out.
  34. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, Simon! It's quite a fast tune for the octave mandola, but you managed to find all the right notes.
  35. John W.
    John W.

I think this is the latest thread…SAW Group tune of the week…so I’ve added my contribution here…

I’m stuck in a bit of an Irish Jig groove in my head at the moment…

Phil Davidson Mandolin
  36. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Well done, John -- sounds very nice! For some reason, I have never got my head around this tune even though I've tried several times. Maybe time for another attempt.

If in doubt, posting in the official SAW thread is always preferable to posting in "Other tunes" when there is more than one option, irrespective of which one is more recent. We have been rather profligate in the number of different tunes and threads here, but checking Barbara's official thread of numbered SAW tunes is a good idea, especially for session standards such as this one.

Martin
  37. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John!
  38. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nicely done, John. I like the triplets.
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one from a year back, Simon, and a grand delivery from you, John W.
  40. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Sound'n good John W.!
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice bounce and tremolos John.
  42. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I like the percussive effect, when your pick hits the strings, Simon and the clean picking on your bright sounding mandolin, John.
  43. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you all for the appreciative comments.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian and John K, yes it's been a year now and with this Covid thing I certainly feel as though I'm locked up in the Kesh. Not too happy.

Interesting about my style a year ago though. The rhythm appears to be lumpy! This has actually cheered me up, because I think I can see at least a bit of progress made.

However in the video I am picking further away from the bridge which seems to be improving the tone, and picking more vertically down into the instrument. This I remember gives the pic a more bouncy, trampoline feeling. This in turn improves the flow.

Recently I've been playing across the strings maybe because it's easier to play faster maybe because there's less of a forearm movement when changing strings.
  45. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks for bringing this one back to life Simon and John, lovely playing from both of yous.
    i really enjoyed getting reacquainted again
  46. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one and well ornamented, Lawrence.
  47. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fast and bouncy as ever, Lawrence.
  48. John W.
    John W.
    Solid stuff, Lawrence
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS