Week #105 ~ Kesh Jig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, in a neck & neck race, was an Irish Traditional Jig, Kesh Jig.

Here is the abc from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Kesh, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    |:G3 GAB| A3 ABd|edd gdd|edB dBA|
    GAG GAB|ABA ABd|edd gdd|BAF G3:|
    B2B d2d|ege dBA|B2B dBG|ABA AGA|
    BAB d^cd|ege dBd|gfg aga| bgg g3:|

This tune had a run as An Other Tune starting almost 2 years ago! Will be interesting to see how many of the original contributors are around to post a follow-up!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .TEF for Standard Notation and TABs

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1304098682
  3. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Here are a couple of different tabs of this tune from Jay Buckey:
    * Jay Buckey Kesh Jig 1
    * Jay Buckey Kesh Jig 2
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Fresh from the oven... played on a John Roberts B-10 Bouzouki (GGDDAADD)...

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Not so fresh, in fact a recording of June 2009 when my camera setting was very different from now. However, I think it has a nice archaic feeling, creeping from the mists of time when smiling was not invented yet...

6. Toycona
    Toycona
    Bertram, what energy! I really like your attack.
  7. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I like the way Bertram can play all them notes while moving his hands once every couple of seconds. Imagine what all he could play moving his fingers quickly like all these other videos and not so start-and-stop!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's a new recording of mine. I'm having some issues with my Collings, but lookee here... .I've got a Weber Bridger A that's been waiting patiently for it's turn again!

I think this video sounds pretty close to the one I did in 2009. I can tell, however, that I've fixed up some pick direction issues, and that I'm playing with a looser wrist... can you?

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here it is on my Slingerland May Bell tenor banjo (GDAE)

10. pickloser
    pickloser
    My Kesh Jig: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...562#post922562

Looking forward to hearing how I should have played it, especially the ornaments. (The little ending is just me kidding around.)
    Laura
  11. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    pickloser,

Love the coda!
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Laura, that was wonderful!
  13. pickloser
    pickloser
    Thank you Barbara. You are very inspiring. I'm so glad I joined this fun group!
  14. cjprince
    cjprince
    Sweet! One I already know how to play!

15. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Nice renditions all! Here's mine, a quickie, one time thru with my Newell mandolin.

Jim
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanx Toycona and Brent. Outplaying the camera frame rate is an easy one, though. Watch a session mate of mine do this on a much faster level.

Barb, it is indeed looking more relaxed, wristwise. Good to have a backup instrument - in fact a too good one to let it hibernate unused.

Laura, that is definitely my favourite so far, both for the pronounced groove and for the happy ending!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice versions everyone - well done to you all! (and the wrist definitely looks more relaxed Barbara!)
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is a spontaneous one-take rendition of this afternoon, richly flavoured in flubs.
    Regina on tin whistle.

19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram... that was nice.... and great seeing and hearing you again, Regina!!!!
  20. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great job on the duet! I think it's really fantastic to see/hear more duets. Nicely done!
  21. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Agree with Toycona on the duet. Good to see, especially whistle and octave. That's a fine pairing for these tunes.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks again and regards from Regina.
    This had me thinking... no cam fright at all.

I guess when we try to produce a perfect recording, we are instinctively impersonating someone we want to be instead of just being who we truly are, thereby committing the crime of lying to our intended audience - hence the fright (not all of us are born callous criminals )
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic versions all round and Bertram, there is nothing criminal about the vid with Regina, it's great to see and hope you do more. Mine is a bit dark as I am trying to get used to manual settings on my Nikon D7000, which is great....I've just got to experiment with it! Also I was a bit lazy on the high b......

24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely version there Tosh!
  25. Toycona
    Toycona
    Tosh, the tone of your 10 string is really, really opening up!
  26. Toycona
    Toycona
    So sorry that I can't participate yet on this one. We actually have a gig today, so all of my playing has been focused on getting our set down. I'll be back to learning this stuff really soon.
  27. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    I really enjoyed everyone's version. Well done!
    Here's my attempt. Eric

28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Very nice indeed Eric - well done!
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eric, nicely, cleanly played! Tell us about your instrument again...
  30. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks! Jill and Barbara.

I'm playing a Nigel Forster, 5 course bouzouki/cittern, rosewood, spruce, 25" scale and I have it tuned DGDAD. I'm playing this tune capoed at the 5th fret. Eric
  31. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Smooth, spirited and clean. Wish I could have such a calm right hand and left hand pinkie control!
  32. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan

Here's my latest Kesh .... tracking my progress with this tune. I'm wearing my flannel nightgown to honor Barbara's inspiring mandolin couture ... and yes, I have more double chins than a Chinese phonebook, but I didn't pick up my mandolin until after age 60 . The little video cut is when I left my body and came back with a slower tempo, sigh.

Oh, this is the new Big Muddy: Rosewood back and sides, spruce top, mahogany neck with something black on the neck.
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Loretta, this video reminds me of an Andy Irvine song about Mother Jones:

Mother Jones, the miners' angel, must be treated with respect.
    She's an old-fashioned lady and you never would suspect
    That this gown and this bonnet fill the rich men full of dread,
    She's the most dangerous woman in America they said.

Now we know that she can play mandolin, too!
  34. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Here is my attempt. I play it on my latest aquisition which came to me yesterday, a Plectrum Banjo with a 27" scale. As you can hear this causes some problems with the high "B", it is tuned GDAE and its fun.
    Bernd

35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's one killer machine Bernd - you'll find that you need much less pressure to fret the notes (a light touch is sufficient), which gives the hand more freedom to move and jump to the high frets with ease.

I played one like that decades ago and had never problems with the scale length - the hard part came when switching to the OM, because my fingers were not used to the forces neccessary there.
    That's what the dark side is like - easier, quicker, more seductive
  36. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Bertram that's right, in fact I was surprised about that little pressure I needed for fretting and that's one reason I could play it just as I took it out of it's case. The strings are quite old and the Banjo is now for a setup by a luthier and banjobuilder.
    Bernd
  37. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Loretta - nicely played and your new Big Muddy sounds awesome, well done!

Bernd - now that's what I call a stretch! Your plectrum banjos sounds lovely!
  38. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Love it, Bernd. I especially like the little triplet thingies you play .. it really brings on the jiggy sound.

Thanks, Jill!

Ah, Bertram, see that you have my number. I'm a well known trouble maker here in the Northwest. Too old for really frisky shenanigans, but not too old to use more cerebral and verbal methods.
  39. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Inspring renditions all! Loretta, your Big Muddy does indeed sound awesome... great tone and volume. I'll have to find a piece of flannel apparel so I can post soon.
  40. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Thanks Jill and Loretta.
    Bernd
  41. Theo W.
    Theo W.
    Well, I'm going to be playing this at a farmer's market on Saturday because of you Barbara! Thank you for the inspiration. Here's my rendition tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyNiff1sTw (Embed wouldn't work!)
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    To embed a video, you start at your You Tube Video, and copy the code after the "=" in the URL address bar. Then, you come over to the Song A Week Social group, and in the message you want to embed a video, you hit 'reply' (not quick reply), and type in your message. Above the box you are typing, is an red icon that says 'tube'. You click that, and paste the code you copied from your YouTube address bar. Click OK, and it should embed in your message. Click 'Preview' to see if it's how you'd like it to look.

Theo, This should be yours... (nice job!)

43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woo wee, you all are amazing! Great work. I was thinking, "I know this tune. I'll bang it out on the first day and move on." And finally, a day after the next week's tune is announced, here it is. There were definitely unforseen issues. On the bright side, I think it was a good work out for developing a better relaxed right wrist. This is on my Newell flat top.

44. dashdrum
    dashdrum
    Hello everyone! I think this may be my first video, although I've been reading your notes and watching your performances for awhile. Here's my attempt at Kesh:

45. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Marcelyn, That had a nice bounce to it. Well done!

dashdrum, Nicely done and welcome!
  46. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great bounce in your version Marcelyn, really enjoyed that!

dashdrum - nice to hear it in the lower registers - good job and welcome to you!
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good Marcelyn, no wonder it took longer than you expected, so elaborate with doublestops, slides and all! Gives us a slingshot catapult start flat out on the dancefloor...

Solid and droney Dashdrum - plus, I liked the way you watched the tones jump out of the soundhole and dash up the neck!
  48. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Bertram, Jill, and Eric. It's a fun tune and when I stopped getting tangled up on all the DUD DUD parts, it was much more fun.

Welcome Dan, your bouzouki sounds great. That was a wonderful version.
  49. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Marcelyn that is just great played and an amazing sound.
    Dashdrum, a very Fine start here. Welcome.
    Bernd
  50. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Amazing versions, instruments, and playing. And even a duet. And welcome Theo and dashdrum.

Here I am playing the version from the Fiddler's Fakebook. In the second part I have tried to play the 3/8th notes as 5-note rolls, as suggested by the Tilde sign. Hope these are recognizable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast