Week #104 ~ Mist on the Mountain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm posting the winner early again this week, as it's a runaway winner!

This week's tune is Mist on the Mountain, which is an Irish jig.

Here is the link to the tune on thesession.org

Here's the ABC that I'm doing mine from:

X:1
    T:Mist Covered Mountains, The
    L:1/8
    M:6/8
    K: Ador
    G|EAA ABd|edB AGE|~G3 GAB|dBA GED|
    EAA ABd|edB ABd|efg dBG|BAG A2:|
    a|age ~a2b|age edB|AGE ~G2A|BAB deg|
    age ~a2b|age edB|AGE ~G2A|BAG A2a|
    age ~a2b|age edB|AGE ~G2A|BAB GED|
    EDE G2A|BAG ABd|efg dBG|BAG A2||
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I went ahead and knocked this out on my Petersen mandolin. I think my right hand is behaving well on this one... my high B's are kind of weak...

3. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Barbara,

Nice tone and lovely triplets. All that right-hand work pays dividends, doesn't it?

If I could offer one suggestion or critique it's that the strings of eighth notes could perhaps be less smooth and even. Do you ever try letting the sets of three eighth notes in a jig "swing" just the slightest bit? A couple times in that recording I thought my ear heard a bit of deviation from "straight" and I wanted to hear more of it.

But maybe there's a Rule that jigs are played straight in ITM. And in any case totally a personal preference but for some reason on this one my ear kept trying to find a bit of a bounce or swing to latch on to. Hope you don't mind my mentioning that possibility...

P.S. I ought to try my own version and see how it would work but I've been under the weather this week and my timing and tone are so shaky I'll spare the group a recording of my current bleats and stutters.
  4. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Here's a direct (deep) link to the GIF with the "dots". There is definitely something wonky with TheSession.org at the moment.

And the matching ABC's.

X: 1
    T: Mist On The Mountain, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    G|EAA ABd|e2 A AGE|~G3 GAB|dBA GED|
    EAA ABd|e2A AGE|efg dBG|BAG A2:|
    a|age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAG A3|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    EDE G2A|BAG ABd|efg dBG|BAG A2||

P.S. And even as I type TheSession.org seems to be working normally again.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Barbara, that was great! Here's my version, cheating a bit as I recorded this awhile back, a year ago actually, now that I check the date on it!!:

and here's an mp3 version of it on the banjo:

The Mist Covered Mountain (jig)
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That is a fantastic rendition Barbara, and as Brent says the triplets are spot on.....
    Here's my take which I based on the Brad Cranitch version from Irish Session Tunes - The Orange Book.

7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version Tosh, you're giving me ideas for some variations in the version I play!

Oh and just a heads up to all, the Tune of the Week is a tune by Junior Crehan - there is another tune out there that goes by the same name, but is a completely different tune. That other tune appears in the book/CD set by Gerry O'Connor and David McNevin "50 solos for the Irish Tenor Banjo", not the same tune at all...
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Jill, that's fantastic.......
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice, you three. I love those tripplets. Here's another chance for me to practice them this week.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Tosh, you're too kind!
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    sorry I'm late. here is the .TEF for Standard Notation and TAB's.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1303497244
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Brent... I'm no expert on how these tunes are supposed to sound (traditionally).... so that one I posted was just as I'd play a jig. I believe that jigs SHOULD be played as fast as Jill's, and pretty much 'straight'. I do love dotted rhythms, though, and often turn reels into hornpipes!

Here is the jig, played 'dotted'... is this what you were referring to?

13. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Good one, Barbara. I think at "our tempos" that are a bit too slow for dancing the dotted-ness adds some interest. Then again I think I detect a slight swing in Jill's dance-tempo version but as you speed up it's hard to tell perfectly straight from less straight.

So I'm definitely of the persuasion that something other than dead-straight works well at slower speed. Usually, it probably depends on the tune.
  14. pickloser
    pickloser
    I'm not at all sure I have done this correctly, but my attempt a Mist on the Mountain is at post 202 here (I hope):

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-posting/page9

I'm playing my Phoenix Bluegrass, made by Rolfe Gerhardt.
  15. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Nice "attempt" there. Great solid rhythm.

What sort of mandolin were you using. It reminds me a lot of when I record tunes with my Mike Black A5.
  16. pickloser
    pickloser
    Thanks for the encouragement Brent! I edited my post to note I'm using my PBG. I'll try to remember not to stomp my foot next time. I'm something of a technophobe--actually I'm not afraid of it, I'm just bad at it--and I had to accomplish two downloads (Audacity and LAME) and then figure out how to post it.

I'm exhausted.
  17. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Yeah, I installed a nice two-microphone recording setup but using Reaper (which has LAME built in). After I got used to it the workflow wasn't too bad. But the whole process is just enough hassle that I seem to always end up just turning on the webcam and clicking record, at the expense of audio quality.
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely done, pickloser (great handle by the way)! Your recording is excellent! Loved the foot stomping too...
    Barbara, dots nice! (couldn't resist sorry!)
    Tosh, the mandolin aways sounds great and so does your picking.
    Jill, excellent version. Kind of the gold standard around here.
  19. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Ditto what Michael said, Tosh, love the sound you make with your mandolin.

Jill, great to see videos from you again, hope for some 'new' stuff soon!

Here's my 'attempt'. Note to self, it's twice as hard to learn a song on two different instruments.

20. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    "... Note to self, it's twice as hard to learn a song on two different instruments..."

At LEAST!
  21. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Great job everyone!
    Here is a version I recorded a couple of months ago. I threw some tremolo into the B part, and it's not nearly as smooth as I would like, but it's an honest effort.
    Please excuse my absence. I'm still deeply invested in my technique transformation practice, so the past several weeks have been all scales, arpeggios, and metronomes for me, with very few songs.

22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    tnt2002 - that was awesome! I loved hearing it on the guitar as well, nice stuff!

Ed - at some stage it would be fun to hear a comparison recording, what with all the work you've been putting in recently. Ooh, maybe when your 2 point is in your possession!
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Tom, that was great, love the energy you put in and I love that video editing software! I may have to invest in it!
    Ed, great stuff, cleanly done and sounds good to me. Learning all the technique is fine, but don't forget the fun bit and play the tunes, that is practice in itself. You need to have a balance of the two.....only I ignore the practice bit!!!!!
  24. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Barbara, you are picking them cleanly, I'm off to practice right hand too...

Jill, as usual great tempo and lift. I've just come back from a festival where I heard the best tenor banjo ever - left the fiddles and flutes for dead, it was in a session but I think the woman in question is in a band, I'll try and find the name and report back

Tosh, as Jill said interesting variations that I may have a lend of

Tnt, Ed, I reckon you both nailed it

I've liked this tune ever since I heard in on De Danann's "Mist Covered Mountain" album, here is a quick run through where it is preceded by "Mac's Fancy"

Abc for "Mac's Fancy"
    X: 1
    T: Mac's Fancy
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Amix
    |:eAA fed|eAA A2f|eAA gfe|dBG GBd|
    eAA fed|eAA A2f|gag gfe|1 dBG GBd:|2 dBG GAB||
    |:A2a aea|aea aec|Ace agf|gdB GAB|
    A2a aea|aea aef|gag gfe|1 dBG GAB:|2 dBG GBd||
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff Harry, and thanks for those ABC's for Mac's Fancy as well - I've been searching for tunes to pair with The Mist Covered Mountain!

Will be interested to hear who that tenor banjo player was as well!
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I find that Mist on the Mountain goes right into Ten Penny Bit!
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Really great versions all round, all of you! It's a tune I must get into the repertoire now! Not too sure whose interpretation to lean towards as they all offer something different but equally entertaining and valid.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Everyone sounds great. And special thanks to Pickloser and Barbara. I got to know your versions really well as it took quite a while to learn this song.

29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn.... that was great! I'd been wondering where you were off to!
  30. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Marcelyn, that was AWESOME!!! Your triplets are sounding the absolute business too - well done to you!
  31. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Barbara and Jill. I've been plugging away at the tripplets for a while. I think I can get them in better now, but I still need to hear a recording from one of you guys first to help with tripplet placement. Maybe there are some rules to it, or maybe it just becomes more natural with time.
  32. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I suppose it's always possible to play them faster but in this case it's hard to see how your triplets could be better. I dream of the day I can let them flow like that without sticking out too loud or too soft or too harsh. Just right!

Plus your usual great sense of time, of course.
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Brava Marcelyn! All that wood shedding is paying dividends on your triplets! Especially liked the ending slide into what seemed to be a triplet but then turned into a tremolo... great pick control there.
  34. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Everything came together on this one Marcelyn - tempo, triplets, super ending. Very easy on the ears. Thanks for the super example.
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That was a really fine piece of playing, Marcelyn! It really flowed very well and your tone is great here. You have made excellent progress in your playing and your confidence.

Here is a link to my effort over on SoundCloud. Not been doing the video stuff at the moment as I have been getting to grips with a new computer and installing my software, etc on to it. Nearly there, and Windows 7 sems like a good system, though I still love the XP I have on the laptop I record on.

http://soundcloud.com/user9128887/mist-on-the-mountain
  36. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a great, upbeat version, John, and it sounds really nice on your J.K. mandolin.
  37. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    John K,

Your version is a nice pairing with Marcelyn's. Hers is smooth as silk and yours is bright and forward. Kind of like a cafe-au-lait versus a steaming hot shot of expresso, straight.

Hmmm, guess you can tell it's still morning around here...better go get another cup...
  38. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice metaphors, Brent--very Bertramesque
  39. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    My only two aspirations are for Bertram's wit and Jill's triplets.
  40. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great version John and your mandolin sounds lovely as well!
  41. ieatcrayons
    ieatcrayons
    Hi all. I haven't been very active in this group but haven't given up on the instrument yet. Thought I'd give the song of the week a try.

It's just once through, and not really very good, but at the moment it's the best I could muster.

I'm still having a hard time using my pinky. Practicing a ton with it and I think it's slowly starting to strengthen, but still very difficult. Eventually opted to shift hand down a bit to avoid using pinky in this one...not sure if that's a bad habit to get into or not.

42. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Your pinkie might be a little dodgy but that's some fine right-hand work and a nice, dry tone. Good sound for this tune.
  43. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Not very good??! Sounds grand to me! I used to shift my hand down (and sometimes still do!) to avoid pinky use as well.
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Who needs a pinkie when you can get that fluid movement into your left hand without it! I too will often ignore the pinkie on mandolin, but find it comes into play a great deal more on the octave and tenor banjo, though again lots of folk who are great players stay with the pinkie-less approach there too.
    As Brent says, very good picking hand technique and great timing.
  45. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Rapid-fire triplets and all! That was great.
  46. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Harry, Marcelyn, John, and IEat, fantastic versions all!
    So much great playing on this one.
    Well done everyone!
  47. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Ieatcrayons: Your playing is great! Many musicians never use their little pinkies and do just fine. Check out Django Rheinhart's playing! This old movie shows his injured left hand and what he could do with essentially only two fingers!

Here's a site with information on how to strengthen your little finger with exercises. Imagine Django's playing if he could have used all the fingers of his left hand! (Although it appears that he was not limited in expressing whatever he wanted on the guitar!)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...pinkie-finger/
  48. pickloser
    pickloser
    John and Crayoneater--I enjoyed your renditions. I'm feeling like I played it way too slowly, now, but that was as fast as I could go at the time and still hit the triplet thingies cleanly. Marcelyn, you sure needed nothing from me.

I do have a question about those triplets. I saw the tilde looking squiggle where Barbara played deedelleet, so I figured that must be what it meant. But is this a figure one should use as the spirit moves them or on dotted quarter notes, or what? I am as unfamiliar with ITM or whatever it should be called as they come.
    Laura
  49. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Here's my perhaps naive beginner's understanding of ornaments.

There are often symbols that will be a "turn" or other left-hand phrase on fiddle which we have to translate to something that takes up the same rhythmic space while not being muddled-sounding on the mandolin. Sometimes a triplet on one note works or it could be a picked grace note. Or maybe a "turn" for that matter.

The criterion is that it must sound clearly and distinctly and it must be absolutely in perfect time. For us beginners, sometimes the only version of an ornament we can play cleanly and in perfect time is to leave it out altogether...

P.S. That make be more of a "Scottish fiddling" perspective than "ITM" as I am totally unfamiliar with the formalisms of the latter.
  50. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Lots of great versions, so far, and some amazing sounding triplets.

Here's my short version; I kept messing up and my pinky was about to fall off, so one time through is all I could muster. Played on a Forster 5 course bouzouki, capoed at 7th fret, tuned DGDAD. Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast