Week #101 ~ Barney Brallighan (Barney Brannigan)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is a slip-jig, Barney Brallighan, aka Barney Brannigan.

Here is the abc from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Barney Brannigan
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    R: slip jig
    K: Dmaj
    F2A ABA ABA|F2A ABA Bcd|F2A ABA ABA|BGB .e2d cBA:|
    |:.f2a f2a fed|.f2a f2a gfe|.f2a f2a fed|g2f e2d cBA:|
    |:.f3 .a3 d2f|g2f e2d cBA|f2a e2f d2B|A2B A2G FED:|

Here is a link to several other ABC's.
  2. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    A long term favourite thanks to the JSD Band's version, here's my take on Barney Brallaghan......

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Tosh - setting the bar high sir!
  4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Tosh. Very clean playing on a well-sounding instrument.
  5. custer
    custer
    Nice! I'm going to see about adding this tune to our Irish session!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Nice slip jig! I didn't know the tune, but it falls under the fingers fairly easily. I've recorded it pretty unadorned on the Ajr, and then again on the bouzouki.

Martin
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks for the kind words Jill, Manfred, Custer & Martin.
    Martin, it sounds great on the Bouzouki......love it.
  8. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    My quick take on The Session's version.

Every darned video I make the audio/video sync gets worse and worse. I don't know what's going on...
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Brent, sounded pretty fine to me! great stuff
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Tosh. I liked playing it on both instruments, but the Ajr take is more fluent. On the zouk you can see my timing being a bit off towards the end, as my hand was starting to hurt and I was trying to keep it going through to the end -- you can see it in my face and me stretching the hand at the end. The zouk has a 26" scale length, which is a bit manly for fast(-ish) fiddle tunes picking. But it's a nice instrument -- plays easy and sounds good, especially for its ludicrously low price.

I've only noticed after recording it that this tune is also on Dave Swarbrick's fabulous 1967 debut solo album "Rags, Reels and Airs", as a set with The New Widow Well Married and Paddy Be Aisy. Swarbrick plays his teens Gibson A on about half the tunes on that album, but this particular one is on fiddle, and played at fairly close the same tempo as mine and Tosh's takes above, which is somewhat reassuring.

Brent -- sounding good. Sync doesn't seem any worse than on mine; I tend to have a slight offset as well which I don't seem to be able to get rid of.

Martin
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing from Tosh Martin and Brent although as you said Martin the timing on the Bouzouki was a bit unsteady. Here is my version.4F6Q4OqET28
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Try again=4F6Q4OqET28
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Must read the instructions
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Maybe we've been spoiled a bit by the high numbers of great recordings on the past few tunes of the week -- the recordings we have of this one are great, but there are so few of them. Looks like this tune doesn't inspire so many of our members. I'd encourage everyone to try it: it's really not a difficult tune and it's great fun to play!

For added inspiration, listen to Dave Swarbrick's 1967 fiddle version, which is high-energy, not too fast, and features Swarb's inimitable clear phrasing. Link on we7 (you'll have to listen to an advert first):

We7 link

Martin
  15. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    maudlin mandolin,

Impeccable phrasing on the final section. I have trouble getting the main melody notes timed properly there but you nailed it. Thanks for that!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm planning on recording this one today; had a very busy weekend. This tune isn't really inspiring by itself. In one of my books, this is written about slip jigs, and is applicable to this one:

"Their unusual rhythm gives many of them an 'unending' quality, which results in a curious aspect of slip jigs: Often they do not end on the final note of the last part, but return to the first phrase of the tune and end of the last note of the phrase (not necessarily the first measure, but the PHRASE). In the case of this tune, you would end it on the first note of the 2nd measure. Another way to deal with this, is to play these tunes in a medley, as they lend themselves to going right into another tune.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here it is. I'm playing it slowly, and started out showing my pick direction for jigs (DUD DUD), then how I pick the measures of slip jigs that are a quarter note - eighth note, and then 3 eighth notes (D D) (DUD). Playing it on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here it is on my Slingerland tenor banjo. I'm working on changing my right hand grip, on my mando, but the curled under finger grip seems to work better on my tenor banjo.

19. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Right after recording my "for real" version of this week's tune I went back and did another take, trying out the new right-hand stuff I've been working on lately. The idea is to be able to lightly damp the strings just above the bridge and get a more muted and percussive or punchy sound.

Two problems. First, I can't do it consistently enough to really get much of a different tone (except when I bear down too much and totally choke it off). Second, thinking about the new right-hand position distracts me so much I can't play the song right.
  20. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Barbara,

Cool. Nice to have the banjo version on the thread. Now we've got mandos, a 'zouk and a banjo. Anyone got a tenor guitar?
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I do!
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here it is on my Petersen mandola. I'm playing this in G, instead of D, which I would have had to work harder at learning that fingering! Excuse it if it sounds 'sleepy'... haven't played it in forever!

23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here it is on my Petersen tenor guitar. It's 'sleepy', too!

24. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Aye, you're a wonder Barbara.

I enjoyed those.
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff everyone - and well done to you Barbara for providing versions on your arsenal of instruments!

maudlin mandolin - a wee suggestion for you: perhaps try picking nearer to the finger board, right near the end of it - you're currently picking very near to the bridge and generally the "sweet spot", tone wise, on mandolins is up near the fingerboard.
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Howard Morris A4 with backing on a Richard Beard zouk mixed in Audacity and combined with the video in Roxio...

27. Eddie Sheehy
    The Howard Morris A4 alone...

28. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto

Oh, what the heck. I actually love the sound of my little jury-rigged "Tenor".
  29. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Richard Beard Octave Mandolin...

30. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a 1926 Bacon B Tenor Banjo (17 fret) - GDAE...

31. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Eddie,

I think the Morris mandolin version is the pick of the litter but the Beard octave is awfully cool, too. If you were playing for a dance I'd go with the big OM every time!
  32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there Eddie!
  33. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Maudlin, Barbara and Eddie, that's absolutely great, especially on the variety of instruments on show! Fantastic stuff.
    For those that have never heard the JSD Band version, I have uploaded it to Soundcloud so you can hear it: http://soundcloud.com/toshmarshall/04-barney-brallaghan
  34. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Fine done everyone so far, Barbara your collection is absolutly great, I like the sound of the Tenorbanjo for this tune. Eddy your collection seems also uncountable and on the same high level, the Octave sounds great too. Having not much time at the moment,
    I' m inspired now by listening and watching all your great playings and think I start learning tis one too.
    Bernd
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tosh, that JSD version is very nice! I have to say that a whistle, fiddle and drum do add a LOT to this tune!!
  36. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another fiddle/whistle version, plus bodhran and piano (!) found on Youtube, from an Irish session in Granada, of all places:

Martin
  37. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Barbara, the JSD Band were gods to a certain generation (college circuit eary 70's!). I managed to catch them live a couple of times and have loved them ever since. They did a couple of reunion albums, were supposed to be doing another one, but it's all on the back boiler now I think. Martin, that is great!
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Does JSD stand for anything? Were they an English/Irish/European band?
  39. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    It's the initials of the first names of group members Jim Divers, Sean O'Rourke and Des Coffield who formed the group along with Colin Finn on drums and Chuck Flemming on Fiddle, although on the album with Barney Brallaghan, Lindsay Scott played fiddle, and Chuck returned for the next album. They are a Scottish group, Nigel has a discography page http://www.nigelgatherer.com/perf/group1/jsd.html and this is about them on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSD_Band
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Gibson 1917 H1 Mandola...

41. polymerchm
    polymerchm
    We, I've done messed around with this one long enough.

42. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice version, Polymerchm.
    Jill- Thanks for the advice. Right hand position is definitely something to look out for. Sometimes I start in the correct position but then the picking gradually creeps towards the bridge unless I watch it.
  43. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As I'm leaving this week's new tune (Clinch Mountain Backstep) well alone -- far too many bluegrass gunslingers in this group who will nail this far better than I could hope for -- I thought I'll add to the nice variety of different instruments we have for last week's tune, Barney Brallighan/Brannigan/Brallaghan. Here it is on my 1926 waldzither, tuned GDAEA:

Martin
  44. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Nice, very Waldzithery (or is Waldzitherie). So many instruments seem to have a sound that works well on this tune. Nice one.
  45. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Here is my take on my Vega Tenorbanjo. Sorry I have cut the first note with the video and my dog remembers his voice in the middle of my playing.
    Bernd