Tell Us about Your Girouard Mandolin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    This is the place to tell us about your Girouard mandolin!
  2. old time picker
    old time picker
    I own two Girouard mandolins and have a 3rd on the way.

The first is a Girouard A5 mandolin. I was one of the lucky few who got one of these Awsome mandolins on E bay of all places when Max was building more for a hobby as well as for his love of the mandolin, Good thing for the Mandolin communtiy he has made the move to building full time. The A5 I have has a western red cedar top, beautiful Maple back and sides and I believe a rosewood fingerboard,but I could be wrong on that. Also has a very beautiful hand rubbed stain job done by Lauri witch I believe was her first. The volume and tone on this thing is just Awsome, Plays smooth as can be up and down the neck with clear highs and plenty of bark,I flat out fell in love in the first few minutes of playing it, I love it so much I orderd a custom girouard 2 point witch you can see on the add on photos that got you to this link or on Girouard mandolins web site. It is the beautiful solid brown 2 point.

About that 2 point that is something I have had in my head for a while and after getting the Girouard A5 I knew Max was the one to build it. It has carpathian spruce for the top,matching Flame maple back and sides,cocobolo fingerboard with red abalone block inlay,and a hand made ebony bridge made by Max to custom fit the mandolin. Also has a gold James tailpiece with all gold hardware. And again a fantastic stain Job done by Lauri. This Mandolin is in one word stunning!! It has got an unreal tone that I wont try to explain with words it is in my opinion just perfect. And the crazy thing is it is only a couple months old now and has got a ways to go before it fully opens up. I have been on the hunt like many folks here on the cafe for that mando that just speaks to you and you cant put down, I have found 2. And to round out the mandolin situation here at the house I just ordered A Girouard F5 mandolin that is currently in the works. I Highly recomend a Girouard Mandolin to anyone. At his current priceing list they are a flat out steal, I have played and owned many mandolins in the $3000 to $5000 range and would take my girouard mandolins over any one.

Brad Bradshaw
    Marshall, NC
  3. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Brad; thank so much for your insightful post.
    Congratulations on the just ordered Girouard F5, we look forward to seeing pics!
  4. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Max is currently building me a hybrid oval hole mandolin (an oval hole mandolin with an elevated fretboard and a neck join at the 15th fret). This will be the first such mandolin that Max has built, and he has decided to call the model the AOH (for A-Style Oval Hybrid).
    Here are the specs:
    Girouard AOH (A-style Oval-hole Hybrid):
    * A-Style, Oval-hole Mandolin: 'Hybrid' or modern-style, with elevated fretboard and a long neck (with neck joining the body cross piece at the 15th fret).
    * Tonewoods: Carpathian Spruce soundboard, Big Leaf Maple sides, back & neck (1 piece neck).
    * X Bracing (with Red Spruce braces)
    * Neck & Board:
    Neck: One-piece Big Leaf Maple construction, dovetail joint, reinforced by a non-adjustable carbon fiber rod (1/4" X 1/2").
    Fretboard: Compound Radius Ebony Board (7.25" at nut, 10" @ F12, 13" @ saddle), 1 3/32" (2.75 cm) nut width, string spacing
    at the nut of just under 1", a fairly narrow neck profile.
    Elevated fretboard.
    * Large Frets (80 X 43 - Jescar 43080 SS EVO)
    * Fretboard & Peghead Veneer: Ebony
    * Tuners: Grover A-style tuners (silver/nickle with white pearloid buttons).
    * Nut: Bone
    * Bridge & Saddle: Ebony compensated adjustable Girouard custom (radiused as necessary for board)
    * Strings: set-up with GHS A260 phosphor bronze 'Bobby Osborne' strings (11-16-24W-38W)
    * Tailpiece: James (Silver to match other hardware) engraved with script 'Girouard'
    * Strap Buttons: 2 (Typical Girouard Mandolins A-Style placement)
    * Finish: French Polish over Spirit Varnish.
    * Inlay Work: Fret dots on both the side, and on the top of the fretboard. "Girouard" and a Fleur-de-Lis inlayed on peghead overlay.
    * Stains/Colors: Hand-rubbed Yellow/Gold/Brown mixed stain (not a classic sunburst pattern).
    The stain will be a "blended" stain with no clear line of demarcation between the colors in the stain (it hence will not have the
    sunburst "bulls eye effect").
    It avoids too much darkness (black-out) in any part of the stain, especially on the perimeter.
    It will be beautifully and rustically accented by the full dark tortoise binding.
    * Binding: Dark Tortoise Celluloid Binding (with black & white top purfling stripes) on the top & back. The fretboard & headstock will also be tortoise bound (also with black & white purfling stripes). The soundhole will be tortoise bound with a top black/white purfling stripe and no rosette.
    * Arm Rest: Girouard Original
    * Mandolin will include the SW-208 Stonewood mandolin case.
    * Expected completion date: Around November 1st.

Here is a photo album of the build to date.

And now that Max has just finished the AOH in the white, he made this great video of her:

Now I really can't wait to get her!
  5. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Well; I am now in possession of Girouard AOH #1 (named "Autumn").
    Here is a photo album of this mandolin.
    Remarkably, she sounds and plays even better than she looks!
    Here is a review I posted to the Cafe forums.
    I could not be happier!
  6. bruce.b
    bruce.b
    I just bought the new A5 that Max put up in the classifieds last night. Can't wait to get it. I have to sell some stuff. I should have it by Thursday.
  7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Congratulations Bruce!
    Looking forward to your thoughts on the new A5.
    Enjoy!
  8. bruce.b
    bruce.b
    Wow, my A5 arrived today and it's a home run. Beautiful to look at; gorgeous, powerful sound and so easy to play. I love it.
  9. Graeme Dargo
    Graeme Dargo
    I am new to the Mandolin Cafe and a beginner player. I have been learning on an affordable piece that I acquired from E-Bay but after some reviews of threads on the Mandolin Cafe it was clearly time to consider an upgrade. I spent a few months researching for "the right one". After many hours of research I decided to develop some criteria to help narrow the gap. The criteria used to help me in my hunt included; Buy an A style to get good bang for the buck; A wide nut to suite my sausage sized fingers; New; Made in North America by a small luthier (support the local economy); Under $2,500; Reviews of others and solid reputation; Case and Set-up included in price; Appealing woods, something that little bit different; Willing to ship to Canada (thats where I am at); Availability of product; Built to last beyond beginning and intermediate learning, a heirloom piece for the kids.

By sticking to my criteria I was able to narrow down the search and that is where I came across Girouard Mandolins, a husband and wife team located in Contoocok, NH. There were other good choices but only Girouard met all of the criteria. After making a choice of luthier the difficult choice was on which Girouard mandolin to purchase and I was like a kid in a candy store! I began communications with Max & Laurie and made the purchase of an A style (serial # 36), a stunning blond maple back with black spruce front....the different look I was after. The purchase price was $500 under my budget. The mandolin was shipped the day of purchase and Max & Laurie kept in regular touch with me as the Mandolin meandered its way to Canada, which really shows they keep on top of things and that they care. The Mandolin arrived in an oversized box which was carefully packed with many layers of bubble wrap and designed to easily withstand the rigours and tests of UPS. The mandolin was further protected in a top quality case made by Travelite, which was included in the price.

On looks the Mandolin surpassed my expectations and better than the images on the Girouard fine web page. It really is an eye catcher with an elegant shape, stunning varnish finish and warm colouring that somehow has an antique feel to it. The tailpiece cover, that proudly bears the engraved Girouard trademark, provides a nice touch of refinement. The tuners are silky smooth, the tailpiece is of great quality and the well made bridge allows for fine adjustments to tailor to any playing style. The fitting of the woods and components is superb.

The sound that this piece or art produces is simply awesome. Clearly there was care with the set up and with a simple tuning upon arrival the mandolin produced clear highs, deep lows, ample volume with tons of resonation. A very sweet tone. I find the mandolin easy to play up and down the neck with zero buzz. The choice of a wide neck was a winner and will allow for my thick finger disability. I would expect that the mandolin would suite many styles of play.

I am very pleased to own a quality mandolin that is made by skilled craftspeople. Max and Lauri really care about what they do and the service that they provide. I now get why Girouard Mandolins has such a rave group of followers. I live in Northern Canada, in Yellowknife (the home of the Ice Road Truckers TV show) and we have long and cold winters and the Mandolin will help pass the time pleasurably. It may be -30 in Yellowknife....but I don't care.. I own a Girouard!
  10. paul dirac
    paul dirac
    Graeme, Welcome and I wish you much enjoyment with your new acquisition! I'm really settling in after about 6 mos. with my Garcia, and love to hear from other Girouard owners.
  11. Toycona
    Toycona
    I just received my mandola from them. Very beautiful fit and finish, and amazing tone right out of the case. Pictures and sound clips to follow. I couldn't be happier.
  12. Mandobar
    Mandobar
    My mandola is a sibling of Tom's. cedar ad sugar maple.
  13. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here are two sound clips - "Cattle In the Cane" and "Folding Down the Sheets". More to follow...

"Cattle In the Cane"

"Folding Down the Sheets"
  14. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I am about to receive a Girouard A-5 mandolin. I will put a review in after she has safely arrived.

Cheers Nic
  15. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Well first, I have not been able to put it down since I got it.

The Cedar top has such a different timbre and tone to the standard Spruce top. It actually requires a different attack with the right hand to get the tone out of it. Boy does this mandolin have projection at the top end but still has it at the bottom end as well in terms of a rounded balanced tone.

When I play the 4 finger Bluegrass chords I am surprised how deep the chords are despite it being bright when played as single strings. It well suits the music I play - Quebecois, Balkan, Irish, Jazz, Blues, and yes it is well suited to playing bluegrass and old-time as well.

I might have to get a bluechip or a proplec pick to try out on this very versatile mandolin. The finish and colour is superb.

I say well done to Max and Lauara on such a fine instrument. I am very pleased with it. I am also very impressed as to how light it is. The back of the instrument is just amazing to look at.
  16. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Just finalized the order for my own Girouard A-5. Its going to be beautiful!
  17. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Here are the details for the mandolin Max and Lauri are making for me.
    A Style
    Top...Red Spruce
    Back... Sinker Birch (one piece)
    Sides... Sinker Birch
    Neck... Birch/Maple/Birch laminate
    Fretboard/Headstock overlay... Macassar ebony, Fretboard radiused.
    Nut... Bone
    Markers... Mother of Pearl (small)
    Top Binding... Maple
    Tuners... Grover nickel
    Tail piece... stamped
    Stain... Natural Amber
    Finish... Varnish with gloss

She is going to be a beautiful instrument. I know she is going to have a wonderful sound and I am going to enjoy playing her for many years to come! I will post pics of the build as it goes.
  18. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Looking forward to seeing pics Benjamin. Congratulations!
  19. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    I put some pics up here in the Girouard group and on my page. just shots of bits and pieces right now though. the wood is gorgeous!
  20. krusty505
    krusty505
    I've been a fumbling guitar player for about 6 years, and I discovered about a year ago that I'm actually much more suited to the mandolin. In that year, however, I've started to go down that dreaded MAS path, or more accurately MATS (mandolin acquisition/trade syndrome)

Anyway, I truly believe that path came to a screeching halt yesterday afternoon when I got my new Girouard A-style in the mail from The Mandolin Store! I'm absolutely blown away with this little gem of a mandolin. It looks great. It plays great. It sounds great. It's light as a feather. I love it.

I had a band rehearsal last night, and I'm sure my band mates were getting sick of me going on and on about my new found friend. Honestly, I'm a picky picker, and I've never felt this way about an instrument. Whatever those guys are doing in New Hampshire, they need to keep doing it so that more people can enjoy these fine instruments.

I'm on an iPad and can't figure out how to post pics, or I'd include a couple of quick snapshots I took yesterday. I'm also new to the cafe, so forgive my ignorance.
  21. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Congratulations krusty!! I sort of know how to post pics (I am on iPad too), you have to add them to an album on your profile first, then copy and paste the url from them into the appropriate box when you touch the insert image button (the one next to the one that looks like movie film). Sorry that may not be a very clear explenation. Anyway, congratulations again! Lookin forward to pics when you do get it figured out!
  22. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Congratulations Krusty! Enjoy!
  23. Max Girouard
    Max Girouard
    Hi Krusty!

Welcome to the family! Lauri and I are happy to hear you are enjoying the mandolin! Thanks for the kind words about our work and happy picking. Feel free to shoot us an email or give us a call anytime so we can hear about your new adventures with the mandolin!

Max
  24. krusty505
    krusty505
    Well, we played a gig last night and the Girouard was GREAT! I just can't believe how comfortable I feel with this mando. And I didn't wake up with super sore fingers this morning (I tend to be a heinous over gripper!). The action on her is just great.
  25. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Fantastic Krusty!
  26. Sid Simpson
    Sid Simpson
    Very happy and excited to be joining the Girouard crew. I am awaiting delivery of a black face mandola, very recently completed. Lauri just posted some pictures on the group's home page. I am very excited and looking forward to a long and rewarding relationship with a beautiful instrument!
  27. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Sid, I had the pleasure and privilege of seeing that mandola during the building process when I visited the Girouard's. It is one beautiful instrument! The pictures only come close to doing it justice!
  28. brcmando
    brcmando
    Just visited Max and Lauri today...they are really just wonderful folks doing great work up there. It really felt less like a business deal and more like just hanging out and talking to old friends. We talked about an A5 that is going to be built for me and very similar to their #41 and #42 with a rather classic, vintage looking top and a back that just says "WOW!". Really excited to work with these two during this process and cannot wait for the final product.
  29. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Awesome BRCmando! I know you will love it!!! Mine is coming soon. September! Can't wait!
  30. brcmando
    brcmando
    I wonder if I saw one of your sides put together sitting in the shop?...the stuff that is in progress looks great!
  31. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    I think you did! My sides are done and glued with the blocks and the port orford cedar. The top has had the basic carving done. Anticipation!!!!!
  32. brcmando
    brcmando
    Was looking good! Cant wait to head back up once a new order of red spruce is in for my A5 top!
  33. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    BRCmando, believe I got to look at the back piece for your mandolin the other day. They have such beautiful pieces of wood there now. Not sure if the red spruce is in for your top. Mine is carved and has the "f" holes. Should be just a couple maybe 3 more weeks or so!!
  34. brcmando
    brcmando
    oh yeah!? that piece was a beaut. They got some great wood in for me to pick from...really excited to get a look at the progress soon.
  35. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper

latest pic of my Girouard. Should be finished in the near future.
  36. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    hope that pic posts. lol
  37. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper

Almost there!
  38. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    Next week Max and Lauri will begin building my mandola using quilted big leaf maple for the back and sides and western red cedar for the top. The piece of maple they got for me has amazing figuring and should be stunning once finished. I'm really excited to own an instrument with such great sound and playability and am especially pleased that it is being built by Max and Lauri, who have tolerated my numerous intrusions into their lives as I sought to learn more about mandolins and mandolas. They've let me visit their shop several times, consented to several interviews for a freelance article I wrote and didn't flinch when I showed up at a local festival and took almost two hours of their time talking mandolas. Throughout it all there was little evidence I would ever be a customer. They are extremely kind and patient people. I'll try to remember to post pics as the build progresses.
  39. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    [IMG]{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\b lue0;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl300\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...&d=1382662493\ }[/IMG]

She is done!!
  40. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    I cannot seem to get pictures to post into a comment properly from my Ipad. I will have to try the desk top computer later.
    Sufice to say that she is one gorgeous mandolin both in looks and sound!!! I have put a few pics on my profile if you want to take a look.
  41. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper

Lets try this!
  42. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper

Annnnd this!
  43. brcmando
    brcmando
    Just posted two new photos of my custom Girouard progress courtesy of Max and Lauri. Looking like she will be ready right after thanksgiving on my way back from VT. Something to surely be thankful for!

I got to play her strung up in the white this week and my immediate reaction was "so this is what a mandolin is SUPPOSED to feel like". Even rough sanded and not finished it just felt right and sounded wonderful!
  44. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    Last week I visited Max and Lauri and got to play my new mandola while it was strung up in the white. As expected, it had a remarkable tone and was incredibly easy to play. Lauri stained it the other day and it not surprisingly it is a sight to behold. I'll bring it home in about two weeks, which will be a bit bittersweet because I'll get the instrument I wanted, but I'll not have such a convenient excuse to haunt the shop. It's important to note that working with the Girouards is one of the highlights of buying an instrument from them.
  45. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    I tried to post a picture, but failed.
  46. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Congratulations Dave!
  47. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, Ed. Some day I'll polish my tech chops and figure out how to post a picture. Until then, I refer you to the Girouard Facebook page where you can see pictures of my mandola as Lauri applies the stain. Mine is the big leaf quilted maple beast with the cedar top. It's really quite remarkable.
  48. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Dave; I'm pretty sure these are all your mandola. Again, congratulations!

49. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    You are correct, Ed. That is my baby. I just chatted with Lauri and it should be ready to go in a little more than a week. Needless to say, I'm more than a little giddy.
  50. brcmando
    brcmando
    I have had my new custom A5 for about a week and a half now and played her in a few different environments. Needless to say, she barks and has that perfect chop that stands out in a session when needed, and really sparkles when more intricate parts are needed. I could not be happier with how this thing sounds. Plus, when I turn her over to show folks the back a few jaws usually drop when they see that big leaf flame! Now just need to convince the wife that I need an octave...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast