Introduction/good newbie song

1. Didge
    Didge
    Hey all. Just thought I'd introduce myself with an easy little tune I've discovered. I'm a college student in AZ who's been playing the didgeridoo for a few months (thus the username) and who just picked up a mando a couple weeks ago. I've been lurking on these forums for a little while, but when I discovered this group I decided it was time to join. I love the newbie version of the song a week thing you've got going here. Anyways, I figured I'd share this with you all:

Marie's Wedding: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...es_wedding.htm

Long story short, it's a Scottish (maybe Irish?) wedding tune that's got a lot of great memories attached to it for me. When I picked up my mandolin, I decided I HAD to learn it, and to my delight it's pretty easy! I saw that it was already posted in the Song a Week Social, but I thought I'd re-post it in this group. Anyways, hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have
  2. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Welcome to the Cafe, Didge! Now is the didgeridoo the pipe that requires breathing in and out at the same time? I'm impressed!

I'm glad you are joining in the Newbie songs. Have you tried "My Darling Asleep" that we are currently working on? It's a nice little Irish jig, appropriate to the season. I like the looks of "Marie's Wedding," and I think it would make a great song to do next, extending our tribute to St. Patrick! What do the rest of the Newbies think?

Karen
  3. Didge
    Didge
    Yep, it's called circular breathing. It's a little tricky at first, but it's not too hard once you've got it down.

I haven't tried My Darling Asleep yet, but I plan on giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance. I love a good Irish jig.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I think that's a great idea! Let's work on "My darling asleep" and "Sally Gooden", and then move on to this. Nice to have you in the group, Didge.
  5. Didge
    Didge
    Hope everyone's been enjoying Marie's Wedding! I recently found this: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/sc...is_wedding.htm It's "Mairi's Wedding", a more complicated (but still pretty simple, especially if you know the first one I posted) and more traditionally named (it was originally in Gaelic) version of Marie's Wedding. I'd guess this is a more traditional way of playing it, though I'm not sure.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thanks for the link! I'll put this on my to-do list ...