New (soon to be) Silverangel Owner

1. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    I am close to finalizing the purchase of the mandolin in the link. What do you folks think of the choice of woods?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Myrtle-back-A

Thanks, Mike
  2. jasona
    jasona
    Myrtle is supposed to be similar to maple, but a bit warmer (IIRC). Fir has an open sound from the get go. You should be pleased I suspect!
  3. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    That's a fine looking instrument! You should have it by now. How's the sound?
  4. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    I have had it about a month. I don't have a lot of experience with "tone evaluation", but I can say it sounds better to me than any mandolin I have played. That would include KM-1000, Bulldog, Collings MT, and my other current instruments MK Firefly Custom, Eastman 604.

It is also by far and away the easiest to play as well. Myrtle and fir were a concern to me, but no longer.
  5. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Well, I traded the myrtle Mando for a dobro. Stupid move on my part-I have regretted that move for a long time. Just sent $$$ for a previously owned A Silverangel. Can hardly wait to play it (patience required!)
  6. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    It's here and it's a good one. Will post pics soon!
  7. jasona
    jasona
    Nice. I am glad you were able to make up for your seller's regret.
  8. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Ha ha! I just traded the A back to Ken for a new F with 100 year old red Spruce as a top wood. It's supposed to arrive here tomorrow. Needless to say I am excited!
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    My econo A has been stuck in Spanish customs for two weeks, but I just got notice this morning that everything's in order, so I hope to have it in a couple days. Exciting times ahead!

It'll be quite a step up from my The Loar LM-300, I think. It's served me well, but now it's time to move up.
  10. jasona
    jasona
    I suspect you will be pleased. I upgraded from a Kentucky 150s and it so blew it away, even before the set up work I had done (see the current thread in the photos forum)!

I just hope your customs storage had a mild climate. This time of year isn't too awfully hot is it? Sorry you had to wait so long though.
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    The good news is, after all the time stuck in customs, it arrived yesterday. I opened the case today, and there she was, whole, happy and bee-oo-tiful. I've only got it partially tuned up so it can settle in, but yea, even so, I'm a believer. The neck suits me really well, and that sound, even two steps down, is inspiring! I am a happy guy. Looking forward to playing up to its level.
  12. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Cool! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do my SA.
  13. jasona
    jasona
    Excellent! Enjoy it in good health!