serial number

1. billkilpatrick
    is there information contained in the serial number to indicate when and where the mandolin was made?
  2. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    I found this in a different post, Bill -- I don't know how accurate it is. If you hear from The Loar and get further clarification, let me know

"OK, if anyone still cares about decoding the numbers, I finally just got this from Travis Atz at Music Link Towers:

Here is the breakdown of the serializing:
    for 0807650034
    * (08) First two digits are year of manufacture.
    * (07) Second two digits are month of manufacture.
    * (0034) Last four digits are a monthly count of the particular model of instrument. * (65) is an internal production batch #. This does not mean it is the 65th batch produced, however, more of a reference for the factory themselves.

Hopefully this resolves all questions. "
  3. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    if that's how it works, then mine (A10051578) must have been made in May of 2010 and is either the 78th or the 1,578th one of that batch/year. Who knows?
  4. billkilpatrick
    thanks msthomp - i'll let you know if i hear anything

i assume you've seen the photos here: http://www.theloar.com/index.html - click "work shop," bottom, right-hand side of the page
  5. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    I never checked out the workshop photos before, but that was pretty interesting. I like seeing that kind of stuff. There's a webpage where you can see photos of 2 Dudenbostel being built from scratch all the way to the finished products. Every now and then I search it out and go look at it because it's really interesting.
  6. billkilpatrick
    in the "information" part of the forum, check out "the loar" serial number" thread - there's one more loar owner (john gass) out there!
  7. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    I knew he was around here somewhere, but never remembered his name -- I sent him an invite...at least, I think I did.
  8. D tide
    D tide
    mine is April 10 anyone with an older one know if they open up with a few years of palying in them?
  9. billkilpatrick
    just received the following:

"HI Bill -
    I remember when you first put up a positive video of this mandolin a year ago or more, right? We were flattered and honored to see it, so glad that you like the instrument.

This serial # is indeed from July of 2008. The "400" is considered the 'batch' number, however at this early date in our production, this is essentially a placeholder. The "41" number is the piece within that batch.
    I can't guarantee this 100%, but my recollection from working at the factory at the time is that this most likely is the 41st piece made.

The instrument itself was entirely handcrafted in Shanghai China. We run a small workshop in the "Jiading" region of Shanghai. The top and back were carved by a former violin maker who re-apprenticed to learn mandolin making.
    The neck was handshaped by a different craftsman, he specializes in necks for both guitars and mandolins.

The final product was brought in to our Hayward, California warehouse where it received an in-house setup from our US staff before being sent to Stan.

-Travis"

... would still like to know the names of the guys who made mine but that may be asking too much.
  10. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    very cool, Bill. Any kind of response is good.
  11. mandopaul
    mandopaul
    Mine is 0904007 1 with the 1 spaced out far away from the 7. Doesn't have a batch number. Well, now it looks like they are adding on a letter in front?

What year was the first 600 made?
  12. Fstpicker
    Fstpicker
    Perhaps 2009?

I have the first production model LM-400VS with a serial #2. Mine was made in February 2010. The #1 LM-400VS was a prototype, so mine was the first one sold to the "public". Robert Fear received it and after setting it up, sold it to a gentleman in Alaska, who later traded it to me for my Mid-Missouri M-1, which he later sold.

Jeff
  13. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Hi all, newbie here! I just purchased a Loar LM500VS that has no serial number. It clearly has a "The Loar" label inside, but no serial number. Can anyone tell me something about these un-numbered instruments? All I really know is that it's about three years old. It belonged to my banjo instructor's Dad.

Thanks!
  14. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Anyone? Someone here must know.

"Hi all, newbie here! I just purchased a Loar LM500VS that has no serial number. It clearly has a "The Loar" label inside, but no serial number. Can anyone tell me something about these un-numbered instruments? All I really know is that it's about three years old. It belonged to my banjo instructor's Dad.

Thanks! "
  15. Samuel David Britton
    Samuel David Britton
    Dcarey I'm not sure but your LM500 could be one of the first produced from the factory.
  16. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Thank You, MandoSam!

I've been searching (well, not very much really...I just had knee replacement surgery and am just now beginning to be human again) and haven't found too much info as of yet. I'll be doing more searches in the near future.

Dan
  17. Samuel David Britton
    Samuel David Britton
    The Loar also used to make that model in Korea before moving to China.
  18. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Is there any way to tell where it was made? Any hidden markings that I'm unaware of?
  19. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    News Flash!

I found out on Thursday 1/16/14 that the gentleman who originally bought my mandolin was, indeed, a dealer and that my mandolin was either of the earliest production models or one of the last pre-production models. Now, more digging to find out which!