Kicking off: assets

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Since we are - metaphorically - sitting in a circle of addicts, somebody must break the awkward silence.

Here goes: my name is Bertram and I play a Fylde Touchstone OM. Every time I think about moving to some other builder, I suddenly remember all those assets I'd miss:

- robust construction
    - simple elegance
    - killer tone
    - zero fret
    - European builder, therefore not too complicated shipping/customs procedures

I must admit, though, that my Fylde is not 100% pure; I had a local luthier replace the bridge with one that stands on two single feet, which is a tremendous volume booster.

2. Dan Hulse
    Dan Hulse
    Hello Bertram, Nice OM, any sound clips available? I'm trying to decide on a mandolin upgrade and I've had my eye on a single malt. Somewhat kitchy, but I play in an Irish bar band and I do like the wood, simple but somewhat unique character. Assuming the sound is there of course. Interesting addition of a two foot bridge, I would presume the boost in volume would be due the top being more free to vibrate. Anybody else out there that can comment on the mando's?
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sound can be heard here, take your pick.

I saw Eddie play a Single Malt mandolin in one of his videos - wait - this one, for instance. Maybe Eddie could chime in on this.
  4. Dan Hulse
    Dan Hulse
    Really nice playing and a great sounding instrument Bertram. Makes me want to practice. Thanks for the links.