What kind of music do you play?

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thought I'd try to get some conversations going.

What kind of music do you play? What different kinds of music would you like to learn? Are you in a band, or do you get together with others to play on any kind of basis?
  2. rmartinez
    rmartinez
    Great topic for the Texans.
    I play guitar and lean more toward blues and Travis/Chet picking. I usually play a G&L Asat z-3 with Gina Chavez here in Austin. Sometimes it's a Mexican Tele, recently I've dabbled with a 60's Vibe Strat (wow!!!).
    Mandolin - I'll play along with anything in my i-tunes library. I like to shuffle the thousands of songs and see where that takes me. I really enjoy playing blues on the mando as well and recently ordered a moongazer mojolin 5 string voodoo model with an ebony neck. Can't wait to get my hands on that one. Tom's been great to work with.
    I'd like to learn the Bach sonatas and I've been listening to a lot of Wes Montgomery and the Back to Back album. So I would say I'm headed in the direction of Jazz and Classical with some blues and fingerpicking in my background.
    Did I cover everything?
    Ok - onward and upward.
    Roel
  3. Wesley
    Wesley
    I'm in two groups. The larger group plays church gigs. A mixture of old gospel and contempory Christian. But I have the most fun with our trio -"Matthew-Mark, Luke and Bubba". After all - here in the south "Matthew-Mark" is one name. The trio does a lot of Texas singer-songwriter stuff like Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt ect. And we even dip into the folk scare of the '60's for material. So we do lots of folk stuff but we occasionally attempt bluegrass material. The other two guys both play guitar and one of them doubles on 5 string banjo. But I have plans to someday work up a duet with a friend who can play both Piedmont and Delta blues. It would give me an excuse for having the new National mandolin I bought last month.
  4. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Right now I'm trying to learn Irish traditional music and fiddle tunes. I found a group of newer players over in Richardson, but I'd like to find one here in Fort Worth.

Maybe when I get a little better I can start hosting one on this side of the world.
  5. littledonnie
    littledonnie
    As a perpetual beginner, I play mostly anything thats easy! Mostly bluegrass fiddle tunes. I am trying to learn Cooley's Reel and its either going to break through or go back in the bag for awhile.
  6. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I play guitar and sing in our church praise band - lots of gospel, contemporary Christian, jazz, bluegrass - you name it. We tend to put our own twist on just about everything. I also play sometimes at the local bluegrass jam when I can, but it's always on the same night as our band practice. Another bandmate and I work up various bluegrass tunes - he plays a lot better than I do, fortunately. On mandolin I play a lot of fiddle tunes and celtic pieces - I'm still learning, so it's two steps forward, one backward, but slowly I'm improving.
  7. Mike Bunting
    I play bluegrass primarily, but have done a fair bit of work with singer/songwriters and such.
  8. LoneStarMandolin
    LoneStarMandolin
    play in some jams in the DFW area as regular as I can...
  9. Walker Bailey
    Walker Bailey
    I mostly play celtic fiddle tunes on my mandolin. Surprisingly I learned a lot of them on my cello and just figured them out on my mandolin as well
  10. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    My group plays a variety of bluegrass, folk, gospel, country, fiddle tunes and pretty much any song we want to convert.
  11. David Newton
    David Newton
    I favor sad songs. Any style, as long as it's sad.
  12. Keith Owen
    Keith Owen
    I play mostly at church, praise music and old-timey hymns. Need to branch out, I am interested in old-time, Americana, bluegrass etc but my time has been going other places of late.
  13. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    I play in two groups; Camino Real, a stringband that plays irish, scottish, russian, south american, Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, jugband, ragtime, swing, etc. and The Old Town Gospel Project that plays an equally diverse selection of gospel songs. I tend to invest my practice time learning fiddle tunes on my mandolin.
  14. RobinC
    RobinC
    I've been meeting with a group of fellas once a week for a little over year to jam for fun. Besides guitars and mandos, we have a guitarron, a guitjo, a concertina, and harmonica. The best I can categorize our style is "fearless". We've taken on pop rock ( Britney Spears, lil Capn Travis version), MoTown (Commodores, etc), classic rock, americana, folk, and whatever style you can classify Austin area music (patio pop?). Heck, we even threw disco in.

We've recently had a beginner fiddler join us occasionally who has introduced bluegrass into the mix. We're currently casually working on a version of Oye coma va (Santana) with a mando for driving rhythm, as well as investigating the use of a slide on a mando.
  15. ccravens
    ccravens
    Gospel and bluegrass, and especially the blues. Who took the "blues" out of bluegrass?
  16. Keith Erickson
    Keith Erickson
    Primarily I play mandolin in our church choir. As a full time husband for 4 years and father of a 2½ year old son, this currently doesn't leave much wiggle room for much else.

As for the future, the church choir will continue to be my main venue but I plan to get back into bluegrass again.
  17. David Newton
    David Newton
    Neat Keith,
    I also play in the church band, and we play a "bluegrass inspired" song maybe once a month.

My young son is playing with us now, and he's sort of rock and blues, and won't play bluegrass with me, so I always schedule a bluegrass number when he is playing with the group, sort of a hijack.
  18. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Our praise band tends to 'grass it up whenever we can get away with it, too - much to the amusement of some of older congregants.
  19. David Newton
    David Newton
    I am working on some old time gospel stuff for the AFTM festival. Lets work on: Angel Band, On the wings of a dove, Jordan (oh, come in as you tread life's journey...) Wayfaring stranger, In the sweet by and by, White House Blues (not so gospel) Down to the river to pray, soldier's joy, Leaning on the everlasting arms, Will there be any stars, Shelter in the time of storm.
    Lets get some harmony going, I can sing the straight melody, and some harmony from time to time.
  20. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    Bob Phillips, of the "Texas Country Reporter" tv show will bring his film crew to Nacogdoches tomorrow to do a segment on Steve Hartz (local old time music guru) www.oldtimey.com They plan on filming our Sat. jam on Monday afternoon. I'll let everyone know when the segment is going to air.
  21. David Newton
    David Newton
    I like Steve Hartz's music. For those who want to listen, he has some very extensive clips of his tunes on his website, which is www. something, something, something dot com. Ok, just google it.

Bob Philips will just turn it into something old, romantic, hazy, overly romantic, and over the top romantic. I like it.
  22. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I can sing melody or harmony - whichever is needed. My friend and I recently worked up 'My Savior Walks with Me' - that Vincent and Dailey do - that was a lot of fun!
  23. Fernando of Sor
    Fernando of Sor
    Hi, I'm a complete beginner on Mandolin, but on guitar I play Blues/Slide, Classical, Baroque and am learning to play the Oud also. I'm thinking of playing more classical stuff on the Mandolin, but I also do some abstract and ambient stuff too, and I know that I'll use it for that. I never really set out to play Mandolin, but I saw my mandolin on Ebay, and fell in love with it. Also, I love Jimmy Page's Mandolin playing on the Zeppelin stuff. Am gradually hearing more stuff on this site, and via this site. I think I prefer the solo pieces or solo with vocals - Mark
  24. LoneStar Boy
    LoneStar Boy
    I started playing the mandolin when I heard Bill Monroe at age 15. I used to sit in my room and listen to Monroe recordings and try to play along. My brother and I started a traditionally-inspired bluegrass band and travelled quite a bit when we were younger. We met a lot of neat people. We still play on occasion and we still stick with the Monroe-style music. Check us out at www.colemanbrothersandlsb.com
  25. Bud Barnwell
    Bud Barnwell
    I used to play alot in bluegrass, country and jazzgrass bands. Got ripped off of just about everything I had in the 80's and quit playing mandolin and just played guitar.Mostly blues and country. I had to quit playing for several years because of problems with my hands. After I finally got surgery, I started back but only on mandolin. I usally play around the house for my own enjoyment. Always loved bluegrass the most. I've began to start trying to learn celtic music but have in no way perfected it.LOL Incidently I purchased a Weber Gallitin A d-hole mandola few months ago and realized it's not the tone I'm looking for. I'm wanting a f hole Eastman mandola. Just would like to trade. The gallitin is a good instrument just not my taste. I own a Weber SE and it's the best sounding mandolin I've ever played. If anybody is interested and owns an Eastman.
  26. Drummingsam
    Drummingsam
    Anything going on in Houston? It looks like this discussion has been dormant for quite a while. Just wondering where one might go in Houston to find mandolin players. I have an acoustic group (guitar, bass guitar and percussion) that plays many styles of music, looking for a female mandolin player and a female violinist. We play open mics regularly and have contacts for gigs, a PA and a place to rehearse.
  27. Drummingsam
    Drummingsam
    Anything going on in Houston? It looks like this discussion has been dormant for quite a while. Just wondering where one might go in Houston to find mandolin players. I have an acoustic group (guitar, bass guitar and percussion) that plays many styles of music, looking for a female mandolin player and a female violinist. We play open mics regularly and have contacts for gigs, a PA and a place to rehearse.
  28. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    On mandolin I am just a beginner, so I can't really say "I play" quite yet, but so far I've focused on, learned and am practicing bluegrass and Irish fiddle tunes, with just a few blues, gospel and rock type stuff. On guitar I play acoustic blues, country blues, country, folk, gospel, rock and roll and some from other genre as well. After almost 50 years of playing, I am only now learning bluegrass guitar and attending jams. With the mandolin, I'm an eight month old infant.
  29. JiminRussia
    JiminRussia
    I am a mandolin recidivist. I played banjo and mandolin way back when, in about the late 1970’s or early 1980’s and then about at the turn of the millennium, I just quit playing all together. But then again when this pandemic thing happened, I realized that I was in for a very long stretch of house arrest due to some medical complications and my advanced age (73 at that time). So, I bought a guitar. After about two years of self inflicted guitar learning, I decided to get a mandolin too. I amazed myself with how much my muscle memory remembered where the notes are on the mandolin. I still concentrate on guitar and only occasionally pick up the mandolin, but I am once again enjoying what I’m doing. I realize that I had made WORK out of something that I enjoyed and I was no longer having any fun, so I quit.