Skene Manuscript - 17th century Scottish lute/mandore pieces

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've posted a link over in the classical forum (here), but I thought I'd better put it in this group as well -- I've come across a fabulous online source for the tunes from the Skene Manuscript (a Scottish private playing book from the 1620s) as well as many other old Scottish tune collections. Check out:

www.scotmus.com

I've also recorded a few of these tunes for my Youtube page on my Mid-Mo and my uke (links in my post over at the classical forum). Great fun!

Martin
  2. billkilpatrick
    great site - loaded with information - thanks martin!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    By way of update, I've just recorded two more tunes from the Skene collection:

1. Almane Delorne:

2. I Will Not Goe To My Bed Till I Suld Die (also in a different key in Allan Alexander's "Renaissance Music For Mandolin"; my source is the Scotmus transcription, which is in the original key).

Martin
  4. maeridos
    maeridos
    Here is a site with William Dauney's transcription of some of some tunes of the manuscript. the music starts at 215, before that is a long dissertation on the tablature. There are about 30 pages of tunes and an index.

http://archive.org/details/ancientscotishme00daun
  5. billkilpatrick
    thanks maeridos - great find!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Maeridos. The Scotmus transcriptions are based on those in the Dauney book, but the more modern typesetting makes them a bit easier to read. The Dauney book is a great resource!

Martin