Information About Highland Strings Mandolins

1. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    --- NOTE: as of 1 January 2016, Jason has changed the name of his luthiery operations to Harshbarger Strings ---

This is the thread for posting any and all general information about Harshbarger Strings mandolins. (Things like: contact information, web articles, reviews, etc.). I'll get us started:

* Contact Information for Harshbarger Strings:
    Harshbarger Strings
    Jason Harshbarger - Luthier
    7450 Timberview Drive
    Cincinnati, OH 45241
    513-207-0536
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Harshbarger...98701560175461
    e-mail: jasonharsh@gmail.com

* A fine review of the Harshbarger trings Orpheus two-point mandolin by JazzMando.com can be found here.
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    * Here is a very good video review of one of Jason's Highland Strings 2008 Copperhead F5 style mandolins done by Cafe member adizz

(Oh, and I just love the bluesy stuff adizz plays starting at around 2:30...pretty awesome tone & playing!)

3. adizz
    adizz
    I should have been a little more fashion conscious when I made that video the button up shirt and starter shorts isn't a great look. The great thing about this video is that mandolin only had a week or two of playing on it.
  4. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    adizz; I think you look fine.
    It is pretty remarkable that the mandolin is basically new in this video...Sounds to me to be fully mature and broken-in.
    Pretty impressive!
    Also, the more I listen to this clip, the more I appreciate your playing. Really nice.
    Please feel free to post any videos of you and your band that feature Jason's mandolins. Thanks.
  5. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Here is a link to the page for a 2008 Highland Strings 'Hermes' flattop mandolin for sale by King County Strings of Brooklyn, New York. The site also features a lovely audio clip of the Hermes in action playing 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' in a duet with a Highland Strings Taliesin guitar. Good stuff!
  6. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Jason's Highland Strings instruments are prominently featured in this article about the Giving Tree Band that recently appeared in Acoustic Guitar magazine.

Here is a picture of the band. Mandolin player Eric Norman is seen here (far left) with his Highland Strings Orpheus 2-Point mandolin.

7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Jason has recently listed two of his demo mandolins for sale in the Cafe Classifieds:
    * Highland Strings A-Style
    * Highland Strings Orpheus 2-Point
    I have played both of these mandolins and they are fine, professional-grade instruments.
    In my opinion one would be very hard-pressed to find better mandolins in the "up to $2K" price range.
    (No financial interest on my part).
  8. jasonharsh
    jasonharsh
    Hey Guys thanks for getting this page going!