Asking Big Buck$ for Vintage Mid Mo's?

1. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    There's a Mid Missouri 2001 M-3 with an asking price of $800. I'm sure Mike's getting a pretty good chuckle outta that one. Looks like now I'm gonna hold on to the two of mine forever. I can just imagine them in the 2015 Vintage Price Guide w/ asking prices of ....2K and up. Buy low and sell high!
  2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I don't know about Mike, but I about choked. I was joking with him about how his mandos could be worth "hundreds" after he retired. If folks only realized just how good these really are... I may get another one next year, I could have a whole collection for the price of a low end Weber.
  3. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    Dave,
    Don't you love it when people say it's a "great entry level" mandolin. WHAT A CROCK...they seem to be moving quickly off the shelves of the on line stores as of late. Common sense probably rules when buyers do comparisons - why spend the dough when the darn things sound better/or as good at 1/3 the price of the fancy shmancy ones. Like the dude who's asking 800 says they're still considered 'sleepers' on the mando market. Many people might be waking up soon, Haaa!
  4. Noanker
    Noanker
    Hi there. My name is Bill and i am new to this group and to the mandolin. In the past six weeks, I picked up two lightly-used Big Muddys: an M-4 and MM-8. I love both of them!

Given the price of the Mid-Mo M-3 you mentioned earlier, I think that I got two real bargains: $350 for the M-4 and $100 for the MM-8. Now, I think i can honestly deem the two of them true investments!
  5. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Hey Bill, sounds like you got a heckuva deal. I've currently got a wide neck walnut (mw-ow) and a mahogany (m-0), next is a M-4... maybe next year.
  6. Noanker
    Noanker
    Hi Dave. Of the two that you own, which do you prefer? Bill
  7. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    That's a tough one, I like 'em both. With the current set-up, both with Dean Markley lights, the walnut is more mellow where the mahogany is more bright and "vibrant". The strings have been on the MW for a while and are well settled in, the strings on the M-0 are new and not quite settled in. I originally had Thomastik medium strings on the M-0, but broke a string (my stupidity) and really liked the tone and feel. I can't afford to replace them now, but right after Christmas I'll put a set of Thomastiks back on it. They're pricey, but worth it. I'll probably send the MW to my daughter as I prefer playing the standard neck as opposed to the wide neck. So, I'll have two M-0's (one with Thomastiks and one with Markleys) and maybe get a M-4 next year... That should about cover it.

Dave
  8. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    For what it is worth, I paid $355 for a 2 year old M-4 in 2000, still own it. I bought an M-1 last year for $300 and thought that was a bargain.

There was a dealer here in Nova Scotia about 10 years ago, but they just didn't catch on at that time. The exchange rate between the US and Canadian Dollars was terrible, $1 US was about $150 CDN. The store had a half dozen or so and I don't think he re-ordered.

I play both my Mid Missouris with JAZZMANDO JM-11 strings. Both have my home-made pickguard, Weber tailpiece and armrests (1 Cumberland Acoustic, 1 Doug Edwards.

Love them both.