Who builds them?

1. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    I would love to start a list of builders who have made 10 string instruments:

A. Lawrence Smart
    Weber
    Old Wave
  2. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Other than the Brazilian bandolim makers, I know Ithaca Strings made an F-style as a custom order. But I have one on order from the UK, Thomas Buchanan.
  3. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Gibson made one that I know of!
  4. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    Gypsy mandolins has both a steel and a nylon version.
  5. warh0rn
    warh0rn
    Weber made my mandolalin
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Mine was built by Paul Shippey, a luthier in Weston-Super-Mare, North Somerset, England. Top man, top builder...... http://www.paulshippey.co.uk/10%20st...0mandolins.htm
  7. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Tosh, that's a good looking instrument. I am looking for a Calton mandola case like yours. I don't know for sure that it fits my 10 string, but I know the long neck version doesn't. I may have to PM you for some internal measurements if you don't mind.
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I just measured the inside Chip, it's 28 and three quarters of an inch long and 11 and three quarters of an inch wide. Paul has the cases specially built by Calton. Great case but considering the cost, it's a bit rich you don't get a shoulder strap with them. However they are built like a tank. Obviously mine is from the UK Calton manufacturers, I think there is a different franchise in the States.......
  9. klaezimmer
    klaezimmer
    My longest scale cittern (~22.25" scale) was made by Stan Pope (Road to the Isles) in Prince George, British Columbia. My medium scale cittern (~19.5" scale) was made by Glen Reid of Burke Falls, Ontario. My short scale cittern (~15" scale) was made by David Freshwater in Scotland for Lark in the Morning in California.
  10. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    My 10-string was made for me by Oliver Apitius back in 1992. He decided to call it a mandalto. I always felt like mandolins had not enough bottom end and the notes died off too quickly. Finally met someone who got my ideas and was willing to build something different. Lloyd Loar's own personal instrument was his mando-viola, which was a 10-string mandola[look at the famous picture of him in his workshop with it]. What I wanted was a mandolin with C's on the bottom, so that's what we went for. Very slightly larger body to make the lower register work without losing the highs. Anyway, it's been great all these years. Too bad Oliver doesn't build instruments anymore. R
  11. Buffalo Sam
    Buffalo Sam
    Michael Heiden, who lives near me and refretted my Apitius is considering building a 10-string, perhaps fanned fret.
  12. billhay4
    billhay4
    Marty Jacobson is building me one right now. Walnut. His f-holes. Mildly fanned frets. It'll be sweet.
    Bill
  13. Rob Zamites
    Rob Zamites
    Stan Pope of Bigleaf Mandolins (formerly Road to the Isles) is building my walnut and cedar 23.5" scale cittern as I type this. Expected delivery the first week of December!

===UPDATE===

Looks like Stan is out of business or something. His website content is gone.