Pretty Little Cat

1. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Did this Old Time tune for Nigel Gatherer's site, thought it would be good for the folks here:

X:1
    T:Pretty Little Cat
    T:Old Time
    S:Nigel Gatherer - Tune Of The Week #13.
    S:http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/s...d=2612#pid2612
    L:1/8
    M:2/4
    R:Old Time
    K:Am
    e/g/ | "A"aa/g/ e/d/c | A2-Ae/g/ | aa/g/ e/d/c/d/ | "E"e>g ee/g/ |
    "A"aa/g/ e/d/c | A>A c/A/c/A/ | "E"EE/E/ G/E/G | "A"A3 :|
    e- | "A"ed c/A/c | A2- Ae- | ed c/A/c | "E"E2- Ee- |
    ed c/A/c | A>A c/A/c/A/ | "E"EE/E/ G/E/G | "A"A3 :|

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Tosh, some people say they have a hard time keeping up with one song a week, and here you are managing two. Thanks for cross polenating between sites. I'll have to learn this one.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Great tune Tosh and nice playing as well. I thought I'd play this one "Marcelyn" style with plenty of slides and that "Old Timey" feel.

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great tune! I read what was written on Nigel's site, and it made me chuckle...
    I'm pretty sure Nigel's site is basically promoting traditional Scottish music, right?

"This is an American Old-Time tune which I learned from a French musician called Cathy. Play it laid back."

What made me chuckle, was the 'international-ness' of it all...

I'm sitting here in America, learning an American Old-Time tune from a Scotsman who learned it from a French musician called Cathy!
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That was a great impersonation of the Marcelyn Style, David--only next time, try not to make it sound better than I do.

Great take on Pretty Little Cat, and Your Pretty Little Dog rendition was outstanding too. After I post the song of the week, I'm definitely starting on the cat and dog set.
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic David, and yep, should suit Marcelyn with the Old Time feel....
    Barbara, I thought the world was a rock, but now it's so small it's just a pebble......
  7. Nigel Gatherer
    Nigel Gatherer
    You've got it, Dave - that sounds fantastic with just the right "laid back" feel to it. Love it.

Tosh - the "anticipated" notes in the B-part don't sound quite right in your version. I wonder if I can record video with my iSight camera? If so, I'll post my take on it.

Barbara - you're right, I'm mostly about Scottish music, but I love Old-Time music too. Music is an international language.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nigel, are you talking about iSight built into your Mac computer? That's how I do my videos! Hope to see one (or many) from you! I too, love Old-Time music, and all the 'trad' tunes that over here, we lump into "Celtic" category! Music is, indeed, international, and so is this social group... it's great! Thanks for joining us here!
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Nigel, yeah I rushed it a bit and I didn't get the second part right. I'll work on it again and have another bash.....I have put it in Guitar Pro so I can play along with it. Great to see you here....
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great tune! I love the feel of the second part!
  11. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks to Dave's tutorledge and marching myself up to the top of Ben Nevis and thrashing myself a thousand times with birch branches, I think I'm more near it this time
    My slides need a little more working on to get to Mr Hansen and Marcelyn standard......

12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice, Tosh! I definitely felt more of a drive in this version.

I tried to record this tune last night in a set with the Pretty Little Dog, but never got it out. We'll see if it goes any better tonight.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What do you know, I got it recorded and Jeff on camera this time. Here's Pretty Little Cat followed by Pretty Little Dog--and pay no attention to the pretty little dog who has no appreciation for fine music.

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Tosh: what a great tune and a belated Happy Birthday!
    Marcelyn & Jeff: totally excellent! I've just got one burning question: What's the pretty little dog's name that's running all over the place and stealing the show?
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    that was awesome Marcelyn - and your wee dog is an absolute star!
  16. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Absolutely fantastic Jeff & Marcelyn, you have a wonderful feel for the music, and I agree with Michael and Jill that your dog is a star!
    Michael thanks for the belated!
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks everyone. Micheal, that's Rosie who usually is very sedate during my recordings. She's camouflauged in Most as a pillow until she twitches an ear. Maybe ukulele gets her going.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn that was wonderful! Jeff's first appearance on video, and he demonstrates how to keep going even when you've got a dog licking your ear!
  19. Eric Root
    Eric Root
    The A part of that Pretty Little Cat is the same as Henry Reed's Breakdown.
  20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    You've all inspired me to learn this tune with your excellent renditions. While doing research I discovered there's another tune called Pretty Little Cat which is different from the one we've been learning. It's in the same key so I learned it and made it into a medley entitled: Pretty Little Cat 1 & II. (That's why it took so long!) The mandolin is tuned: EAEA from high to low and it's my Kentucky KM600.

21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's such a fun version Michael. It was a great idea to put it in sawmill tuning too.
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I agree with Marcelyn, sawmill was a good idea. Nice playing and arrangement and a great sounding recording as well. oh and the cat was the icing on the cake.
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That's great Michael, can't say I know anything about sawmill or other alternate tunings, but you did a great job.
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Tosh: A fiddler friend of mine plays these kinds of tunes in this tuning so I thought I'd give it a go. Here's a link to a very good explanation of this tuning: http://www.suite101.com/content/how-...ndolin-a264833

Our tune of the week for this week, Sally Goodin, was originally recorded in 1922 by that great old time fiddler Eck Robertson. His fiddle seems to be tuned Sawmill. Here's a link to an MP3: http://www.archive.org/details/Sallygooden. CAUTION: You'll be blown away by his performance!
  25. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Michael, thanks for the Eck Robertson link, that is brilliant. It made me dig out my Harry Smith box of Anthology of American Folk Music and he's on there doing the Brilliancy Medley, so I'll check that out. I also dug out American Fiddle Tunes, Library of Congress Archive on Rounder but it's not on there.....! But there is a version in AEAE funnily enough in the Jeff Todd Titon book (brilliant), Old Time Kentucky Fiddle Tunes, so I'll give that a spin.
    As for the tuning it looks a bit risky for me as I'm not that advanced, I'll stick with what I know, which is not a lot!!!!!
  26. Nigel Gatherer
    Nigel Gatherer
    Thanks to Barbara, I have now done my first video. Yeehah!

27. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Nigel, I love the rhythmy sound you get on this. I take it that is your Rigel you are playing?
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice movie and you have an excellent feel for this tune. Hope this is the first of many more videos!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Interesting versions Michael and great atmosphere in your playing.
    Nice sprightly performance there Nigel, full of energy.

Thought I’d record this lovely tune at a slow tempo with just octaves and bass for a change.

30. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like your version Simon. I like them all but yours has a bit of a melancholy to it - I don't understand the photo theme though. They are interesting but is there a link to cats in the photos?
  31. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely arranged and played Simon. I like this alot And thanks for listening to my version from eleven years ago. I still play this medley, but don't put it in sawmill tuning, rather I use standard tuning now!
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, oh it’s just the title that’s about cats, and the photo at the end.
    The rest has nothing to do with cats, although when I worked in factories we often had cats. And they were pretty.

Thanks Michael -I still have to learn that Bluegrass style!
  33. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Catchy tune! I enjoyed all versions.
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Sherry it is a versatile tune.

X:1
    T:Pretty Little Cat (+harmony)
    T:Old Time
    S:Nigel Gatherer - Tune Of The Week #13.
    S: http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/s...d=2612#pid2612
    L:1/8
    M:2/4
    R:Old Time
    K:Am
    e/g/ | aa/g/ e/d/c | A2-Ae/g/ | aa/g/ e/d/c/d/ | e>g ee/g/ |
    aa/g/ e/d/c | A>A c/A/c/A/ | EE/E/ G/E/G | A3#:|
    e- | ed c/A/c | A2- Ae- | ed c/A/c | E2- Ee- |
    ed c/A/c | A>A c/A/c/A/ | EE/E/ G/E/G | A3#:|
    W:
    T:Pretty Little Cat, (harmony)
    M:4/4