I'm gettin' another one

1. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I've been communicating with Mike for a couple of days and I'm gonna order another one. I'm currently enjoying my walnut mw-ow (wide neck), but I want to get a mahogany model. I just can't decide if I want to go with another wide neck or get the standard (1 1/8") on the new one. For the most part the wide neck suits me just fine, but I find some double stops and chords difficult and think the standard neck might be better for them... Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    If we can work out the details I may get to pick this one up in person. I'll be travelling through St. Louis in early Nov. and would really like to meet Mike in person. We've become friends over the last couple of years.

Dave
  2. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Dave , I bought a wide neck originally. Then I saw a deal on a normal neck. Bought it then,, I sold it to Barbara. If you like the feeling on the wider neck,,, I bet you wont like the narrow. I know what you mean , by some chords seem a bit stretchey, but for me that part is easier to overcome than the cramped feeling that I got on the normal neck..of course YMMV.
    Ive got a M2W on order. I would never even consider a narrow now.
    Steve
  3. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    It's in the finishing room. Mahogany back and sides, Alaskan Bear Claw sitka spruce top and African Blackwood fretboard (standard neck). I'll pick it up in St. Louis in November.

Dave
  4. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Got it . We had dinner with Mike and his wife in St. Louis and had a blast. Mike is as fun in person as he is on the phone or e-mails, what a great guy.
    The new mandolin is a real sweetheart, here's a pic. The picture doesn't do the bear-claw justice:[IMG][/IMG]

Dave
  5. billkilpatrick
    bella! - auguri!
  6. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    Dave,
    I sent back my MM-8 aka mini-mo for Bill to look into the neck bow/action problemo that I was trying to remedy by string gauge / bridge hieght applications and wound up with "another one". I too went with the bear claw top and African Blackwood fretboard and headstock on an M-4 model. Your new M-O is very "velvety/smooth" looking. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
    Good Luck to you,
    Bob G
    ps you know me and my string inquiries aren't gonna let you go w/out tellin us what kind they are and your impressions of them so far compared to your old stand-buy 11-39's? I know they ain't the Dulek installed GHS's ...
  7. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Well, I bit the bullet and put Thomastiks (mediums) on this one. I was really apprehensive about spending that much for strings, but I'm glad I took the chance. They feel and sound great.
    But that's not all... This particular mandolin only came with one bridge, the high one. The neck is set back slightly and the action is low all the way down the fretboard. It's about 1mm at the 12th fret. No buzzing, it plays incredibly easy and sounds wonderful, bright, but not tinny or twangy, smooth as silk. Yea, I like it.

Dave
  8. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Another revelation (Ms Bratsche) is that the bear claw top IS bookmatched. I posted here instead of the post a picture thread as I didn't want to bore the general population with inexpensive mandolin dribble.
    Dave
  9. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    Dave,
    Sorry, my response was re-directed to your other thread

My new Big Muddy M-0 -

for non muddy owners responses as well

Bob
  10. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Cool, we can try to enlighten them one post at a time. Well, I swung the other deal and the M-1 should be on it's way...

Dave
  11. frshwtrbob
    frshwtrbob
    About your TWO Mahogany Muddies....Will they be earrings or bookends? In the AM or PM?? Upstairs or downstairs?

I only have a M-1.

You are decadent.
  12. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Ah, but not as decadent as you may think. I no longer own the 'dola. The MW will quite likely go to my daughter. So, I'll have a M-0 and a M-1. I wasn't nearly as interested in getting another mahogany mandolin as I was getting a Mid/Mo (and getting rid of my LM400), so one Muddy and one Mid/Mo, I'm sure you can understand that rationale. My wife can't, but what does she know...

Dave