Toss the Feathers / Toss the Feathers

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    When I heard this set for the first time in a session, I asked what the second tune was. They said "Toss the Feathers" and I said "no, the second tune" and they said "Toss the Feathers" and I was all "whh...????"
    I play the set ever since, and I think they sound like two very unlike brothers but go together quite well.

ABCs are

X: 1
    T: Toss The Feathers
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Edor
    |:EBBB dBBB|EBBB FAFA|BE E2 BABc|dfed BAFA:|
    Beed e2 de|fede fe e2|febe febe|fede fee2|
    Beed e2 de|fede fa a2|b2bf a2af|egfe dBAF|

X: 1
    T: Toss The Feathers
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmix
    |:D2 FD ADFD|ABcA G~E3|D2 (3FED ADFA|d2 ed cAGE|
    |(3DDD AD (3DDD AD|ABcA G~E3|cABG A2 AB|1 cded cAGE:|2 cded cAGc||
    |:Ad (3ddd Ad (3ddd|Ad (3ddd ed^cd|eaag a2 ag|eaag ed^cd|
    |efge afge|dfed cAGB|cABG A2 AB|1 cded cAGc:|2 cded cAGE|
  2. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Dang man , thats nice!!.
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Wow! That was great B! It reminded me that traditional music is a major source for modern Rock-n-Roll. Rock on man!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Steve and Martin.
    Interesting point Martin, now that you say it I remember hearing one ITM expert saying that today's dance tunes are the disco beat version of renaissance and baroque suites.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Both very nice tunes.Thanks for posting Bertram.
    This version of the first one is from the BBC virtual session. I can nearly keep up with the session but not without some errors as you will see.
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I was a bit bemused by the vid Duncan, but they should use it as the theme for the World Darts Championships! Great effort!
    Bertram, I love the reference to Disco Baroque! Sounds fab on your Fylde....
  7. Ryan H
    Ryan H
    Big thumbs up, Bertram.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Tosh and Ryan.
    M.M. the strong piercing sound of your E strings in the B part goes well with those darts. Reminds me that many dartboards in pubs are fixed on the back of the entrance door.
  9. Brian560
    Brian560

I gave toss the feathers a try. I will have to keep working at this one. I did try to play it continuously for 4 plus minutes.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Aha - I guess when Godzilla tries to dance to an Irish tune, nothing stays what it seems. Taking away the rhythm reveals a surprisingly pentatonic character taking us to Japan.
    But that is just my guess.
  11. Brian560
    Brian560
    Bertram, one thing that I learned is that someone has to be incredibly familiar with a tune to play it well, and you playing of this tune is phenomenal. I especially liked the way you played one part off of the other. I could not duplicate that no matter how hard I tried. In comparison to your incredibly well played submission I had thought mine horrorble, but according to my rules if I practice something I am obligated to submit it. I hoped Godzilla would be a suitable distraction. If making music is difficult, making music-videos isn't much easier.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    ...someone has to be incredibly familiar with a tune to play it well

True. Irish saying: To know beauty, one must live with it.

I had thought mine horrorble, but according to my rules if I practice something I am obligated to submit it. ... If making music is difficult, making music-videos isn't much easier.

Also true. Stand by what you do We don't write letters never meaning to send.

But turning this into constructive mode: time is most important. This music is supposed to be danced to, and it must be practised in time from the beginning; it doesn't have to be fast, but it must be in time. Time ist everything.
    If you can stand a companion even more cruel than recording equipment, get a metronome. But I have to warn you: it's cursed
  13. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Just one Toss the Feathers here - the second one in Bertram's set.

A pileated woodpecker turned up in the garden last weekend. We have had fleeting visits before, but this time he stayed for half an hour, intent on making a massive hole in the branch of a silver maple and eating the bugs out of it (which you can see in the video). We have two resident woodpeckers in the garden, large red-bellied and small downy, but this guy is more than twice the size of the red-bellied (about 40-50 cm, which gives you an idea of how big the hole is). Anyway, his rather spectacular feather tossing seemed to call for some musical acknowledgment.

14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice gentle hornpipe Richard, thanks for bringing the thread back, and admirable flying fingers from Bertram well played!
    I tried this second one as a reel and wasn’t tempted.
    I enjoyed playing the first one though, and I think it sounds a bit better in C instead of D - there’s a difficult part where the index finger has to be flattened to cover two adjacent notes.

You’re so lucky to have animals so close. I live in the middle of the village and there’s a tavern below my apartment and the people are very civilised.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well played, Richard. A very catchy wee tune!
  16. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You get that hornpipe really flowing, Richard, and thanks for having me acquire ornithological knowledge.
    Didn't know pileated woodpecker , but I looked it up: in German it is a Helmspecht.
  17. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Simon, John, and Christian. It is a real foot tapper (and actually I wanted to use the soundtrack from the video and get the bird's headbanging, but it didn't work). It's not a hornpipe, however, but a reel played with swing.

The key to getting the wildlife is having a third of an acre full of trees and native planting - so we're lucky to have that space, Simon. And I had never come across a pileated woodpecker either, Christian, before moving to the US. They are huge. And you may recognize that it was the model for the cartoon character Woody Woodpecker.
  18. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    It is such a happy hornpipe that in the video it seems as if the woodpecker was dancing to its rhythm... a very beautiful piece in a beautiful video!

Richard you always get it right in your pieces, I hope you don't include recipes for anything in your videos, always choose nature!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Interesting pointed rendition of that, Richard - harking back to my own version I am quite vexed by the crazy speed I used to do at the time, kind of creepy like it's not me at all.
    I have to look at that woodpecker closely to see which end of the head is the beak - amazing wildlife. All I get is a skill contest with rats trying to reach the birdfeeder and me keeping them from succeeding.
  20. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Jairo and Bertram.

Jairo, I hate to tell you, but I actually did a video last year of me making bread (to go with tunes by Fred Pidgeon, who was a baker). But you are right that I should stick with nature.

Bertram, I thought that I was going quite fast and then I watched your old video and it was, as you say, a crazy speed that I couldn't even approach. This large woodpecker is not a usual visitor (which is probably a good thing or we wouldn't have any trees left). I have the same battle with the large-tailed rats that we call squirrelxs.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice and happy playing, Richard. No reason and no chance to beat young Bertram in a speed contest.

The video of that pileated woodpecker is a good shoot. Fortunately, you keep your video camera handy every time.
  22. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frithjof. The videos are just taken on my iPhone. The stills are on my camera with zoom lens (which I do always keep fairly handy and with the lens ready fixed).