Week # 2 ~ Fisher's Hornpipe ~ REVISITED

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It was a toss up between Fishers Hornpipe and St. Anne's Reel, but since St. Anne's reel just had a run on the Song & Tune Projects on the regular message board, I've decided to go with Fisher's Hornpipe.

I play it in D. Here is a link to TAB on our own mandolin cafe. Transcribed by Scott Tichenor, he's got it classified as bluegrass / newgrass. I play it very similar to this TAB.

thesession.org has the notation and ABC in G. Since that website is pretty much dedicated for Irish Music, I'm thinking that it also fits in the Irish / Celtic category; let's put it in the Traditional / Fiddle tune category as well

Here is Fisher's Hornpipe in standard notation. It's very similar to the TAB of Scott's, but slightly different. Same flavor, though!

Let's start giving some more info with our submissions. What our instrument is, and if it's in a different tuning, what your tuning is.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's a quickly recorded version of Fisher's Hornpipe, complete with some clams! My 14 year old cat, Snowball, wanted her moment of fame.

I can play it with a CAT
    Can you play it in a HAT?

I tried to keep my goofy smile at a minimum

Played on my new Collings MT2 O

Barb
  3. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    YOWZA, there sure are a lot of notes in there!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is a simpler version, played slower, on my Slingerland May Bell Tenor Banjo. As always, clams! And, on TB's those clams go 'thwack'!

5. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Mandolin and tenor banjo! Do those play about the same as mandolin?
  6. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well, here's mine. I just learned this today. Hope You enjoy it.

http://vimeo.com/4566844

Chris
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, thanks! That was nice. Could you link to the page on mandozine that you got that from? And, tell us about your mandolin.

If you were going to be playing this as a traditional hornpipe, hornpipes are played more dotted, rather than straight eighth notes, even though you'll find them notated as straight eighth notes.

But, I looked up on You Tube, and found that MOST submissions of this tune, are more in the 'bluegrass' genre, and are played lightning fast, more like a reel.

I'll never be able to play the mandolin that fast, but with your talent, I'm sure you will!

Barb
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    mromkey, my tenor banjo is strung in the 'irish tuning' which is the same as an octave mandolin, an octave lower than the mandolin. So, other than a slight adjustment in the fingering, yes, the TB is played the same as the mando. They are a blast to play!
  9. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's the tab to the Thile/Marshall version. My mandolin is a Michael Kelly LFS that I have had for three years now signed by Sam Bush and Chris Thile. It's a good mando I like it. What kind do you have Barbara?
  10. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Ok here is my try, I am still having to read the tab (and not doing that very well)

11. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Great job, Chris! I sat down with it last night (and again tonight) and it's easier than I first thought. Still working the B part out.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My mandolin is my new Collings MT2 O that I got in March in Austin, Texas.

Chris Stewart, good start! Do tell, how did you get that cool visual effect on your video?
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I have a Tab Edit question. I download the files, I've already got the TefView loaded. The item opens up, but everyone talks about how you can play the tune, slow it down, etc. I click play, the cursor moves like it's playing, but no sound. Any ideas?
  14. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I had trouble with that at first. I think it has something to do with the midi player. Delete the midi player you currently have and download a new one. There are tons of free midi players on the web. Just google "midi player".

Nice job ChrisStewart. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the overlay texture on the vid though.
  15. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Barbara,
    When using TabEdit or Tab View, Click the little Speaker Icon in the tool bar. There you can change
    the tempo. Choose which tracks to play and more. I slow a tune down to 110-120 bpm to learn.
    You can also use your cursor to highlight bars and then shift +F10 or Score -> Play -> Selection to
    just play and repeat a section as you learn it.

Terry
  16. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    I had a few choices under -> "play"/"midi setup"/"midi out"

try some others if you have a choice if not download a new one.

the effect came with my logitech webcam. There are several to choose from and more can be downloaded.
  17. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Chris(T) - Great job on that Thile/Marshall version! I've always loved that version in particular, and you do an excellent job, even hanging in there when it gets crazy at the end.
  18. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Here's my first Song of the Week submission. It's a fun tune.

Don
  19. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    nice version, sounds like you are working in some double stops.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm a so-so computer person. I don't know that I really understand MIDI players. I have this program Finale, which enables me to create written music (I use it for standard notation, but I believe I could also do TAB). Anyway, it has a function that I click the player, and it goes along and plays the music. It works. I use this program a lot, and I'd hate to go deleting some program on my computer to try to get Tab Edit to work, and then end up disabling my Finale sound.

I did go into the Tab Edit help tools, and went through the suggestions there, making sure the different things were all set to the same midi player, making sure nothing was muted, and changing the midi players, but no sound on Tab Edit.

Barb
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, that was great! Another 'headless' mandolin player! Tell us about your mandolin! Barb
  22. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Thanks!

It's early here and you wouldn't want to see my head right now!

The first video was using my Pomeroy F-4 mandolin by Don Paine. It's a great mandolin. It's got the oval hole like a traditional F-4, but an elevated finger board that meets the body at the 15 fret like an F-5. So the sound is kind of a hybrid. I like it a lot.

Don
  23. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Now here is the song again on my Silver Angel F-5 by Ken Ratcliff.

Don
  24. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    yes, there is no need to delete any midi players that are already installed since they could be used by other programs. But installing a new one should not effect any existing drivers.
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ducati, your head couldn't be any worse than most of MY videos! As a GIRL, I should be ashamed of my hair, my lack of makeup, my clothes, AND my slovenly housekeeping visible in my cluttered background! If I weren't so busy playing my instruments all day, maybe I could be better at THOSE other things!
  26. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Enough said - no more headless mandolin shots then. But you were warned!
    Don
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ducati, plus, you get extra points for your band together for butch t shirt!!!
  28. billkilpatrick
    (edited: ... duh ... i was using "quick reply" instead of "post reply" with more options.)
  29. billkilpatrick
    played with my HAT as i SAT on the MAT ...

30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I played with my CAT
    Bill played in his HAT
    He played in his HAT
    as he SAT on a MAT!

Bill, I loved that! So sweet sounding! Tell us about the mando you are playing it on!

Barb
  31. billkilpatrick
    mid-missouri (m-4) - great mandolins!
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, I agree, love those Mid Mo's! I've got a M-O! Plus, I love the visual composition of your video... very European!
  33. billkilpatrick
    ha! you should have heard the italian comments i received when i - quite naturally - shaped my new "borsalino" fedora hat into something i could comfortably wear. i don't think i'd ever been called "tex" before.
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Where I come from TEX is a compliment!!!
  35. billkilpatrick
    indeed ... i prefer to think that it was compliment here, too.
  36. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry

Here is my attempt. I just started playing the mandolin a week and a half ago.
  37. billkilpatrick
    waaay better than my first attempt! welcome to the "one a weekers" club.
  38. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Alright, here is my poor attempt. I think after this week I'll go back to being a headless mandolin player, because I found myself very self conscious about the faces I was making while trying to get through the piece, which probably didn't improve the quality of my playing any. This song is challenging to me - the transition from the A to B part keeps hanging in my fingers, and there's a place in the middle of the B part that must be very close to some other fiddle tune I know, because if I don't concentrate very hard, I flub it every time (which you will see). I tried to keep my little finger down on the left hand, but it just keeps coming up. This took about 10 tries to get through it - which is why you see a laugh of relief at the end.
    My mandolin is just my little starter Fender A - someday I'll have money to upgrade, after the 4 kids get out of college (one in now, another starting next fall, numbers 3 and 4 still 4 years off, LOL

39. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Gone fishing, stead of just ... sleeping.

40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat, that was good! As far as little fingers, they sure have a mind of their own, don't they? I can get mine somewhat curled, but it still 'up' (like I'm having tea with the queen). I also know what you mean about the faces, and the camera, etc. BUT! Just remember, when you play FOR people, you are still making those same faces! In the beginning of my performing, when I saw even still photos, I was aghast at how I looked when I played. So, even though it's tough, it's worth it, videoing yourself, to work on your appearance, in addition to your playing! Try putting on sunglasses... it really makes you look cool, and hides a lot!
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, that was great! And, you get extra points for your Mandolin Cafe T Shirt!!
  42. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Well done Mike! I love the slides and accents you used to spice it up. You also get extra credit for being brave enough to do a bit up the neck.
  43. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Another version on my Martin 0-18T Tenor guitar tuned an octave below mandolin.

I don't know anything about playing tenor yet, so I just played the normal fiddle melody.

44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Don, that was great! Beautiful sounding Martin Tenor Guitar! If you can play that in that tuning, you're ready for an Octave Mandolin! Extra points for the Cafe hat!
  45. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Well, it took me a bit to get comfortable with this tune, but here's a quicky of me playing it on my bouzouki. A part and B part once each.
    I'm glad I learned this tune though, my session group plays it and now I can rock it on the tenor banjo too

Kyle
  46. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Kyle - Love the zouk again! Great sound.

Here's mine. I didn't realize when I suggested this tune that it would be so much of a workout! There are so many little melodic variations you can do with every part, so I ended up with a completely different version of this tune than the one I intended when I started practicing! There are a couple cringe worthy spots for me, mostly because I was hanging on for dear life to keep it going at the tempo I chose. I'll have to remember to moderate the speed a bit next time .

47. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Wow that was good!
  48. Chris Keth
    Chris Keth
    Here's one I did last night. I'm sick with a sinus infection so I've been playing a good bit of mandolin. I can probably play it a little better when I'm not thinking about suppressing a sneeze during the first B part. Played on my fullerton gloucester.

49. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Very nice PanaDP. Remember to wash those hands before playing and get better soon!
    Don
  50. willh
    willh
    First, I included my bald head at the request of Barbara.

Second, I am tired of playing this song and decided to just slow it down and tough it through a recording. It must take me more than a week to learn a song. This video thing can be brutal and very ego deflating.

Will

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast