Week # 2 ~ Fisher's Hornpipe ~ REVISITED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    can someone help me with the chords to this song? I just want to be able to play/hear them if someone wants to do the melody. I'm not good enough to figure them out on my own yet.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mando_Liz, at the beginning of this discussion, there is the standard notation for this tune. That notation also includes the chords. Both the A & B parts of this tune are 8 measures each. There are two chords played in each measure.

As notated:
    A part: D D / D D / D D / D D
    D D / D D / D D / D D
    B part: A A / D D / A A / A A
    G G / D D / G G / D D

The way our band plays it:
    A part: D G / D G / D G / D A
    D G / D G / D A / D D
    B part: A A / D D / A A / A A
    G G / D D / D A / D D
  3. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    thanks. I hadn't looked at the standard notation as I can't read it, and I found the tabs on www.abacci.com/music (loving that site, it's how i'm learning both songs so far). I'll take a look at it in a bit. Thanks for your effort to write them out for me. also, in the other chords you had Em - what is the - is that continue or no chord? sorry about my ignorance... If I don't ask I won't know
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Will, there wasn't anything in that to be ashamed of! Ya gotta be able to play something SLOWLY before you can play it fast! Your timing was good, and you played through your flubs. That's important to be able to do, keep the tune going even when you know you hit the wrong note! Thanks for participating!
  5. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    Okay, here goes this one... I found this song much more difficult than the last song not that I mind the challenge. My fingers sure are moving away from the fret board (I don't know what's with that pinky either) in this one. I need to work on getting them closer to the fretboard. Anyways, here it is. I also found that people knew this one at the jam I played last night, so I think I'll learn it a little better.

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Liz, that was great! When watching your video, I noticed how you are holding the body of your mandolin clear to the right of your right leg (and lap). Then, I decided to go back and look at how everyone else is holding theirs. There is quite a variation, but you have yours the most far to the right. Do I remember you saying you also play the guitar? It almost looks like you are holding and playing your mando like a guitar! Now, I don't know if that is a problem, just an observation!

I have seen this video of Mike Marshall's referred to repeatedly on the cafe.

In fact, here is a recent thread about posture on Technique, Theory, Playing Tips and Tricks.

I don't know if holding & playing your mando in this position will cause any problems down the road, it doesn't seem to be slowing you down any!

Keep up the good work!

Barb
  7. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    hehe... I had not noticed that at all, but yes I play the guitar, I am sure that is where I get my posture I'll have to try it both ways and see what turns out better... thanks for the feedback.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Liz, tell us about your mando. It sure sounds good, and looks good too, from what I can see of it! As far as those flying fingers, all it takes is conscious effort, and lots of practice, and they can be tamed!!! Personally, I think your pinky is just fine (just like mine, haha!)

Barb
  9. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    My mandolin is an Eastman 515 that I got two days ago!!! It's beautiful, but I can't get it to show up on the camera that I'm using. My house has yellowish lighting, so the mandolin looks really dark. It's got a classic finish. It sounds great I think (I had a couple of really good players play it last night... Now if I can just put those songs on it ). I would post a picture, but I surely can't figure it out. I'm going to post one of these videos outside, so maybe it will be easier to see from there. Anyways, thanks!
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The way to post a picture here on the social groups, you need to go to your user CP (at the top of the mandolin cafe page). Then when there, on the left hand side, look for pictures & albums. Then, you create your own album here on mandolin cafe. When you upload your photos to your picture album, you'll see something that says 'add to group', you click that, and it will open a list with the groups you belong to, you put a check mark by the name of the group, and then it will appear here at the top, for the photos submitted by our group members.

It's a beauty! Enjoy!
    Barb
  11. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Liz, that's a nice new Eastman you've got there. Lovely tone. If I might make a suggestion regarding the flying finger problem, try curling your fingers around a little more. It looks on the video like you're keeping them kind of straight, and as a result, you're fretting the string with the softer pads of your fingers, and not the tips. Aim to have your tips doing the bulk of the work in applying pressure to the string, and I think that'll help.
  12. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    ken, thanks for the advice... I'll give it a shot.
  13. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    OK - Here we go. I know we are on to a new tune but I FINALLY got this one on video. So....

14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marc! That was great! Tell us about your mandolin. That's the beauty of the way this group is set up... you can submit your videos whenever.. it doesn't have to be in the same week the rest of us are on!

Not sure what method you are using for recording, and I'm no expert. I recently got a webcam, and that is what I'm using. I've found that I have to turn my volume ALL the way down, to have it sound decent when recording instruments.

Barb
  15. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    Thanks.
    It's an Eastman 515, classic finish. I purchased from Steve Perry of Giana Violins. I added a finger rest from Doug Edwards. I recently had the frets replaced with larger ones and the bridge with one from Cumberland Acoustics. I love it.
    As far as my video goes I used a Logitech webcam with the default settings.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've got several armrests from Doug, he does great work! I am also using a Logitech webcam, and like I said, I had to diddle with the settings, eventually turning the recording volume all the way down, to get a decent sounding recording, without pops, snaps and buzzes...
  17. Chris Keth
    Chris Keth
    Marc, you might try lowering the input volume of your mic. Every stroke overloads the mic and we only hear the melody during the decay of the notes. If you lower that input volume, you'll be able to get cleaner audio.
  18. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    OK, since I got week 3 done and a few of the extras I'll concentrate on week 2...
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Better late and sloppy than never... Played on a Gypsy Spirit.

21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, thanks! Is that a mandola, or a short scaled OM? I know you have a huge array of instruments (and thanks for identifying them on your video sumbissions!), it seems to have a shorter scale than the other OM's you've played.... Keep up the good work!
  22. Eddie Sheehy
    That's a regular Gypsy Spirit Mandolin - the camera is closer...
  23. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, since you're not taking points off for late homework, here is Fisher's Hornpipe. It's actually one of my favorites, and was also used in commercials for Sturbridge Village a few years ago (on fiddle).

I did try a bit of variation in the b-part, and it may even work...
  24. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    This is my first effort - actually about the 20th try for my first entry. I'm a little embarrassed coming after CelticDude's excellent submission, but it is what it is. I used my Eastman MD815 and a Dawg pick. The version of Fisher's Hornpipe is one I've been playing for a while and probably is a composite of a lot of different tabs.

25. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Billkilpatrick,

I really like the lift (bounce) you add to your playing. Nice mandolin and hat.
  26. SweetTea
    SweetTea

I have played this piece before but it still I play it with some sweet and sour notes. Oh well sweet and sour taste good on chicken so here is!
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    CelticDude, Tom Tax and SweetTea, those were all great! Thanks!
  28. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Sounds good everyone -I like the variation.
  29. John Ritchhart
    John Ritchhart
    A late submission on this one, but anywho...

30. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    The mostly forgotten third part! Way to go! Nice job all around.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, that was great! Tell us about your mandolin!
  32. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    lot more sweet than sour, SweetTea

Never knew Fishers had a 3rd part, jbrwky.
  33. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Sorry for not playing part A again. I finished with B, got nervous, and went brain-dead. I sniffed and was like uh....oh geez. Played with an Epiphone MM-30. Sorry for being late, but I just found the group last night!

34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was great! Hard to believe you're just starting out on the mandolin! Don't worry about submitting this 'late'... that's the beauty of this group, you can submit your version whenever you want! Thanks!
  35. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Thanks Barbara!
  36. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice one David.
  37. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Well since I see folks are still putting this song up -- I decided to give it a shot in front of the seeing eye last night.

I learned Fisher's a long time ago but do not think I've played it more than a few times in the last 5 years -- so when I tried to play for the camera I was a lot more rusty than I thought I'd be.

This video has some gliches and brain fades -- but it appears to be the best version I can come up with for right now-- I'm going to work it up again its a fun song.

Also I think I used to know a third part that sounded a little like Soldiers Joy but I can not rememeber how to get it started. A lot of great versions by the other Cafe members -- some great pickers in this group!

38. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Hey Bernie, good to see you here! Nice job. jbrwcky played the 3rd part 2 videos above you. I'd never heard it before that.
  39. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Yes, Tracy that's it! Or at least it is pretty close.

John where did you learn that?

I am quite sure that is like the part I used to play as well -- and now I will again!
  40. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Very nice and clean David.
  41. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Yet another version of Fisher's Hornpipe. I'm playing my recently acquired Mann EM-4 electric mandolin.

42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was nice! And, I can tell by the smile on your face, you are pleased you recently acquired that nice new e-mando!
  43. John Ritchhart
    John Ritchhart
    Barbara, The mando is a flatiron artist. Bernie, I think i learned it from a Tefview file off the old Comando site.
  44. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    "Barbara, The mando is a flatiron artist."

John you also have a Gibson F don't you? At least I thought I saw a video of you playing one once -- maybe I'm having brain fade.

Its either that or it is that you have a whole flock of Webers?

Thanks for posting that third part of Fisher's when I first heard it by a bluegrass band in Columbus -- back in the previous century (circa 1975?) they played three parts and that is what I learned. But somehow I lost it.

I learned three parts to Ragtime Annie too but those I still have on file in what passes for my brain.
  45. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    David cool emando! Nice picken. I need to get one of those juiced up axes. I am playing my tenor guitar and banjo a lot more now so I getting back into the feel of those single strings.
  46. John Ritchhart
    John Ritchhart
    Bernie, no, what I have is two Flatirons. One made in Montana signed by Bruce and one made in Nashville and signed by Danny Roberts. I did a comparison of the two on YouTube you can look at if you're interested.
  47. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Ahhh now I remember that -- one had X-bracing the other tone bars --very cool! I thought they both sounded great. Someday someone really on the inside needs to write the story of the Flatiron to "modern" Gibson to Weber story and included stories of the personalities Carlson, Weber, Derrington, Daly, Roberts, Harvey, Vest and many others I suppose. There is some common DNA there and a GREAT story I am guessing.
  48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's mine, late and not so great.

49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Better late than never! Sounds good to me!
  50. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's the height to aspire to (THE Mountaintop!) in playing Fisher's Hornpipe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afzl3A8o7vE
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast