Week #67 ~ Julianne Johnson

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Julianne Johnson, which was submitted as an Old-Time tune.

I am not familiar with this tune, so if the person who submitted it would like to point us to the tune intended, that would be great.

I found this on abcnotation

which includes this abc

M:C|
    R:hornpipe
    X: 2
    T: Julianne Johnson
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: D
    |"D"fafe dfed| Bd- de d2fg| a2 a2-aab2|"A" a8|
    "D"fafe dfed| Bd- de d2fg|f2 e2 dA B2| [1 "A" A8:|[2 "A" A6||
    |:A2|"G" B4 d3 A|BABc d3 A|BABc dA B2 |"D"A6- AA|
    "G"BABc d2 AA|BABc d2 e2|"D"f2ff edB2| [1 "A7"A6:|[2 "A7" A8 |["Transition""A"A3A- Ace^g||

I found this abc on fiddler's companion

X:1
    T:Julie Ann Johnson
    M:C
    L:1/8
    S:Bruce Molsky, based on Emmett Lundy’s playing
    N:ADae tuning
    N:ABC’s from a transcription by John Lamancusa, by permission. See http://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes.htm
    Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
    K:D
    (e |: f)efe dBAA | Bcd[D(d] d2) de | fa2(b a2)b2 | a3(b a3) (e |
    f)afe dBAA | BcdA Bdeg | fdef d2 (Bd) |1 A3(B A3)(e :|2 A3(B A3) (A ||
    |: B)d2(B dB)AA | (Bc)dd fded | Bd2(e d2) Bd | A3(B A3) (A |
    B)d2(B dB)AA | (Bc)d[D(d] d2) eg | fdef d2(Bd)|1 A3(B A3)(A:|2 (A4A4)||
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I think this was on my list of suggestions, so here's the abc's for the version I'm familiar with:

X:17
    T:Juliann Johnson
    M:4/4
    R:reel
    Q:1/2=120
    L:1/8
    K:D
    A2|"D"fafe dfed|"D"Bd- de d2fg|"D"a2 a2-aab2|"A"a8|
    "D"fafe dfed|"D"Bd- de d2e2|"D"f2e2 "G"dAB2|"A"A6::
    A2|"G"BABc d3A|"G"BABc d3A|"G"BABc dAB2|"D"A6-AA|
    "G"BABc d3A|"G"BABc d2e2|"D"f2e2 "G"dAB2|"A"A6:|
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, it's my first time to learn a song and post it on the very same day, so there are still a few things I plan on ironing out. It was a great tune to suggest, David. Here's Julianne Johnson on a Gibson A. .

4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's sounding very sweet Marcelyn, good job. Here's my offering, Julie Anne Johnson is a plain old name so I didn't gussie it up. I don't know how "right" my version is, I just worked it out from watching some of the versions by fiddlers on YouTube.

5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job Marcelyn. I always admire your musicianship: the chords or drones you throw in which are not in the notation. I could probably learn this tune from notation in a short time, too, but could never make it sound like your version.

OS, very sweet sounding, indeed. You seem to be playing mostly out of the G chord position?
    And thanks for your praise on 'Whiskey'.
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Excellent Marcelyn and OS, I've got some catching up to do!!!!
  7. Tavy
    Tavy
    Guys, both those versions were totally amazing! Oh and the tune isn't bad either
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Catchy tune and nice pickin David and Marcelyn...
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks. Manfred in the B part I'm holding the half open G chord where it goes to the G there, and the rest of the time it's all on a D chord so I'm using D pentatonic shapes, open and sometimes closed.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions the both of you! I really like this tune, gotta find a moment to sit down and learn it meself!
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks everyone, it's such a fun and simple tune to learn. It reminds me a lot of Angeline the Baker which can sound impressive, but is basically pretty easy. I need more tunes like that.
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great playing as usual David, you make it look so easy! I've done two, first on mandolin then on mandocello (I need a pair of those hands they wave at your conventions!!!).

The mandocello, still learning it and the scale length!!!!

13. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great playing, all. I'll get after this one tonight...after the kids go to bed. David, I particularly like how you control your tone, playing a touch softer in parts.
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice to hear it on the mandocello and octar!
  15. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    David, that's a great sound on those droning low Octar strings your version really brings that out

Tosh, love the cello sounds too but now my weber mando-lin is going to look pretty teensy weensy..

Marcelyn, I liked your A part going down low, so I um borrowed it...

16. jamann
    jamann
    Nice versions from everyone. I enjoyed them all. Never heard this old time fiddle tune before and I'm liking it very much.
    Marcelyn, I love the sound of your mandolin and you really made it sound like an old time tune to me. My favorite so far. Nice work!
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Harry that's great, at least with your Weber you don't look like an extra in Honey I Shrank The Kids (thanks Bertram!). Yeah Marcelyn's definitely got the Old Time licked with the neat slides, great feel to the tune.
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Borrow away, Harry. It's a role reversal for me since I'm usually the one posting ten minutes before midnight on Thursday. Just to make things fair, I'm going to steal the cool chord you threw in at the very first of the B part.

Tosh, I'm impressed with the smooth mandocello version. I've toyed with the idea of trying the OM, but even that scale length makes me think twice.

Thanks so much Jamann, The compliment means a lot. Now if I could just absorb some of that cool, bluegrassy sound that comes so natrually to you, OS, and others around here.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Marcelyn, after watching your low version, I thought that this tune would work great on the mandola. It only took me a few weeks to get to it, but here it is on mandola. Thanks!!

played on a Gilchrist H-1 mandola
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff there Don!
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It definitely does work well on the mandola, especially with the variations you added. I've got to find time to learn those today.
  22. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Glad to see you still have the 'dola Don. That sounded mighty fine!!
  23. Susanne
    Susanne
    It seems like ages since I posted anything!! I loved this tune from the first time I heard it, and I especially like Marcelyn's first recording, it sounds so oldtimey and I can't even say why or even try to make it sound as oldtimey as yours...

Anyway, here's some kind of first take. I'm hidden in a huge knitted sweater, but since Barbara always shows up in her jammies I may be excused...

24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great Susi. I hope you're back for a while now. In a few weeks I'll be digging out my sweater collection too.
  25. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Still filling in some old ones. This tune really rolls on mandola.
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    so warm sounding with the mandola - great stuff there!
  27. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I wanted to tag one on this old SOW entry. Dawn and I have been experimenting with some new configurations--something other than just guitar and mandolin. Going with banjo and mandolin at the moment, although I think there might be a mandola in our future.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Y'all sound great. I'm biased, but I think you've hit on a winning combination of instruments there. Really nice job on the new banjo, Dawn.
  29. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I found myself noodling this tune today, and decided to try recording it. After I finished and put it up on YouTube it occurred to me to check and see if it had ever been TOTW here. Sure enough, here’s the thread. So this is my contribution, just seven years late:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  30. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    I like that arrangement, Bob! All the parts are nicely played and work good together. Well done!
  31. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, JL277z. It was fun to record. “Julianne Johnson” is a tune I’ve learned fairly recently: though it seems to be a standard now, I don’t remember it from the days, in the ‘70s and early ‘80s, when I used to play a lot of old-time music. It’s become one of my favorites, though.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  32. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Very cool Bob!
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, Bob. Some really tricky picking and fingering up at the dusty end there!
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    More tunes Gentlefolk
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice, Simon. With a simple but effective accompaniment ...