Week #61 ~ Farewell to Whiskey (Scottish Air)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Farewell to Whiskey (Scottish Air)

Be sure to go to www.thesession.org to read all about this tune. On the sessions, it is being called a polka, but there is some discussion about the. This is another Niel Gow tune.

Here is the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Farewell To Whisky
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    R: polka
    K: Gmaj
    |:EGG/2B/2A/2G/2|BEEG/2E/2|DGB/2A/2G/2A/2|d2Bd|
    e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|c/2B/2A/2G/2AB|DGB/2A/2G/2A/2|BGG2:|
    |:dB/2d/2gf/2g/2|e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|dB/2d/2gf/2g/2|efg2|
    e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|c/2B/2A/2G/2AB|DGB/2A/2G/2A/2|BGG2:||

Here is Nigel Gatherer's take on it

However, I encourage you to search around and see if you can find other versions.
  2. Toycona
    Toycona
    Good choice.
  3. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    Farewell to whiskey???? That is ANATHEMA.
  4. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I do believe even Gow found it anathema, as he subsequently wrote "Return of Whiskey". Live and learn...
  5. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Hi folks! I'm new to the Song a Week Social Group and am a older beginner. Any thoughts on good tunes to start with? I really love celtic music.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It appears you couldn't have joined on a better week then. This tune is pretty straightforward and definitely Celtic. Welcome.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I like the sound quality of my multitracked tunes so much better than my webcam videos so here's Farewell to Whiskey with photos of whiskey, Neil Gow, Blair Atholl and Scotland.

8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    This is heady stuff, David. In every sense of the word.
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Beautifully played David and a cracking videologue to go with it.....
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    My version comes from the Merlin Music Session Book Four http://www.merlin-music.com/tunebooks.htm . As you may notice, I got a red hat!

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David and Tosh, very very nice! Tosh, what instrument are you playing?
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks Barbara, the instrument is a Paul Shippey Cherry Model, which I got second hand although in great condition. I love Paul's work and he is currently building me a 10 string with a Black Top finish. It's not too far off, going through the lacquering and staining process, so I'm looking forward to picking it up in a month or so.... http://www.paulshippey.co.uk/index.htm
  13. Tavy
    Tavy
    Those are both lovely guys!

David - everything about that video was just so much better than any of the other versions I managed to find on YouTube the other day - brilliant all round!

John.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow David, knees at 1:40!
    What peaceful renditions, all.
    Oh man, so hard to resist a Neill Gow air... Must! Not! Print! Notation!
  15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Not to worry Bertram, it's ok those are Eddie's knees. He's wearing a disguise.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Some lovely versions already, folks. Tried it as a slow tune then as a faster one and could not decide which to go for, so combined them - two for the price of one or buy one get one free!

17. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I like both John. The O.M. sounds great.
  18. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff John, as Jim says both are great. Interestingly enough, I was checking Dagger Gordons book out tonight and there is a version in there in B flat! That is a tough key.....
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, that's a comforting two-part story you're telling:

Part 1: Whisky is gone
    Part 2: Whisky returns!
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks all for comments. Jim, my octave is now 4 years old - I built in in April 06 - and the sound has been maturing nicely.
    Bertram, there was indeed the thought of brightening up the mood in the second part, and Tosh, stick a capo on at the first fret and play in A if you do not want to get into the complexities of Bb on the mandolin. Just a thought!
    Niel Gow did write some really great music which we are lucky enough to have inherited, including this lament for the failure of the barley crop in 1799 which led to the non-distilling of whisky that year.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    The story of my life...
    Whiskey you're the devil, You've led me astray.
    Over hills and mountains and to Americay.

22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like the ornamentation everyone's adding to this one. It's interesting how many variations there are on this melody.
  23. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    John, I love the second faster version! Sounds great
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Kyle. The slow first version prepares the way for the move to the faster one. It is all in the anticipation of what is to come! When you remove the stopper from the bottle and have that first wee dram there is a lightening of the spirits (no pun intended!). As the golden nectar goes down you can truly say farewell to whisky!
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    With new strings on the OM and a bottle for support, I thought I might give it a try. However, it is more of a "Whisky Forever" anthem, but not meant to be a commercial

It is true, the version from thesession.org is to be taken with a grain of salt. I play it rather like this:
    X: 1
    T: Farewell To Whisky
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/4
    R: air
    K: Gmaj
    |:DGG/2B/2A/2G/2|BEEG/2E/2|DGB/2A/2G/2B/2|d2Bd|
    e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|c/2B/2A/2G/2AB|DGB/2A/2G/2A/2|BGG2:|
    |:dB/2d/2gf/2g/2|e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|dB/2d/2gf/2g/2|efg2|
    e/2f/2g/2e/2dB|c/2B/2A/2G/2AB|DGB/2A/2G/2A/2|BGG2:||
  26. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Good one, Bertram. Here's my version in GDGD tuning--how else could I play it?

Played on a Gilchrist Model 1. I'm using my new H2 as a mic/interface so I can back up from the laptop and you don't hear the fan so much.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, that was great! A plus with your new recording set up, we get to see your face too!
  28. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Brilliant Don, and the CD is fantastic too, I love it. You inspired me to spend money!!!! I went to Trevor's emporium down in Brighton today and bought a Weber Gallatin Mandocello......it's beautiful. Now I have to learn how to play it!!!!
  29. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Barbara, I'm not sure that's a plus. But I did try to smile at the end.

Tosh, congrats on the cello! Glad you liked the Hillbilly Chamber Music

I just uploaded a live bluegrass album too if you like that kind of music. Sons Of Others at the El Morro Old School Gallery 03/13/10
  30. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Hi Don, I got the email re the bluegrass music and will go there in a mo.....got to give Eddie some credit for the 'cello inspiration too !!!!!
    Don, that is one awesome bluegrass album......great band you have there......
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    Congrats on the 'cello Tosh. Great music Don, I d/l it this morning
  32. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here is my first attempt at playing for the camera. And I thought playing for people was hard!
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Tom! Recording will get easier with time as the camera's cold eye shrinks to a plastic aquarium of electrons.
    Clean tone and great volume.

Say, is that a pink mandolin top?
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    It's a Kenducky 162 (honey amber finish). I'll mess with my lighting on future posts. I got this mando a year ago after becoming increasingly dissatisfied with playing the guitar. So, one year later, here I am. I'm beginning the research and try out phase as I save for a new instrument. Any suggestions?
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    This is one of the first tunes I ever learned. But, it was taught to me as more of a march than an Air. I couldn't understand why saying goodbye to whiskey shoould be so happy.
  36. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Fortunately I learned from all of you that it truely is a sad tune. Istill play it a little fast.

Gary
  37. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Since Gary did such a nice job on this one and it was one of the first tunes I learned on mandolin, I thought I'd give it a go. I learned this from a "Beginning Mandolin" instructional DVD. It was taught to be played at 220 bpm, so I thought it was a bluegrass tune. It's taken me three years to get it to this speed, and I still can't get all the notes right. I've got my metronome playing in the background to keep me on pace.

Jim
  38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Jim. Seems that we learned from the same place.
    Your new mandolin sounds like it just wants to bust loose with sound.
    I bet after you play it for weeks, months, years it's going to open up to something amazing.
    Gary
  39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It was not so fast on the octar, Gary, and at least you let it end in a blue chord
    Jim, you are the one who really makes it a happy teetotaler's march - which might not be what the composer had in mind, but it's funny anyway.
  40. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Theme song for the “Malt Whisky Group.” Thanks to all for your good examples. My effort here is heavily influenced (as in stolen) from John Kelly and Marla Fibish.

Barbara - Thanks for the tip on getting more viewable screen.

41. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Great version. Yes, I can hear the Kelly/Fibish a bit .... very, very nice.
  42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Mike, thanks for the by-line! Your version has a lot of lift in it and I like your ornamentations.
  43. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Loretta, John - I’m glad you enjoyed this one. I appreciated your comments. Thanks.
  44. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice jaunty pickin' Mike.
  45. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    O'Neill's Music of Ireland version of Farewell to Whiskey.
  46. GHall
    GHall
    I heard this melody for the first time last week, and it was just too pretty not to learn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAfqR2DVfDE
  47. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a really nice duet, I enjoyed it very much.
  48. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Always fun to watch you two.

Greg [GHall] Hall and his daughter MandoGirl 88.
    [edited]
  49. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks, again, GKWilson It's actually Greg and my daughter's name is Libby Really appreciate your kind comments. Learning to play music with my daughter has been a really awesome experience, and now my son is getting into it. We're havin' a blast! So happy to have found the Cafe, too. When I first got bit by the mandolin bug four years ago, I had no idea there were so many others - I thought I was the only one
  50. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great stuff- Libby is a star on guitar and mandolin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast