OK...who's got one?

1. Jake's Gig
    Jake's Gig
    I have a 2002 , # 109. You?
  2. Jim Gallaher
    Jim Gallaher
    I've got #11, 1983 F-5. Got it from a friend in town (Staunton, VA) in 2004. I think he found it on The Cafe. Still my main axe.

You can see a video of it in action on my band website at http://loosegravelbluegrass.com/samples.htm .
  3. Jake's Gig
    Jake's Gig
    Just spoke to Lloyd tonight...he was tickled we added his mando to the section.
  4. OlderThanWillie
    OlderThanWillie
    In case you haven't seen it, here's a video of Lloyd -- http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=128400157284 He's in a new book about Minnesota's best guitar builders.
  5. MikeyG
    MikeyG
    I own 4 LaPlant mandolins, all A-styles:

#115 2002 with ff-holes (my main instrument)
    #149 2007 oval with red spruce top
    #158 2010 oval with Englemann top

My other is Bill LaPlant's (Lloyd's youngest son) #6 built in 2005, ff-holes.

Each has its own "personality", I'm sure you're aware. Each is world-class IMHO.

My wife owns LaPlant guitar (dreadnought) #76 from 1987.
  6. Jake's Gig
    Jake's Gig
    Mike... how does Lloyd's work seem different from his son's?
  7. MikeyG
    MikeyG
    Jake - Other than their prices, there are not many differences between the Bill LaPlant mandolin I own and Lloyd's. Bill's top has been carved a bit thinner but in almost every other way, they are nearly identical. Bill has told me that Lloyd was "looking over his shoulder" nearly every step of the way. If you'd like to compare them in person, send me a private message.

Mike
  8. BBarton
    BBarton
    I have 3 LaPlant instruments...
    #99 (2000) - An A mandolin with f-holes and my favourite mando
    #1-40 (1990) - An A mandola with f-holes, and Lloyd's first mandola (as designated by the "1")
    And a guitar, #90 (1990) that Lloyd made for me when I lived over that way.
    Of course, all are awesome instruments! I love 'em, especially ol' 99.
    Bruce
  9. Jake's Gig
    Jake's Gig
    bruce.. jak from Tbay here
  10. d18daddy
    d18daddy
    I just picked up #176. Couldn't be happier.