Week #52 ~ Beaumont Rag

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm announcing the winner a couple of hours early. Fifty Two Weeks! That's a whole year we've been at this! We seem to be celebrating that milestone, with our first Ragtime tune!

This week's winner is Beaumont Rag.

I couldn't find any ABC's but this search on mandozine resulted in a number of versions to chose from.

Here is a good video of how it sounds, flat-picking a guitar, from an instructional video

Here it is in a 'pub' environment

Here it is on a fiddle:

Here's some snippets of mandolin style for this tune (have no clue if this guy really knows what he's talking about, and I don't know if I found all of them in his series, either)

YouTube search for Beaumont Rag yeilds MANY results, so if you find one that you like, please post it!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    X:1

W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

X:2
    T:Beaumont Rag
    C:David Harvey
    L:1/8
    Q:440
    M:4/4
    K:D
    z8 | "A"gf gf e2 ed | cd cB A4 | "D"=f^f =f^f dB Ad | BA FG A4 | "A"EF GA zB AG | \
    EF GA zB AF | "D"DE FG AB AF | BA FA z4 | "A"gf gf e2 ed | cd cB AB Af | "D"=f^f =f^f dB Ad | \
    BA FE DE =F^F | "G"GF GA Bd ed | "D"=fd e^f ed BA | "A"dB Ad BA FE | "D"D2 A,2 B,2 =C2 | \
    "A"CE AC EB CE | AC EB CE A2 | "D"DF AD FB DF | AD FB DF A2 | "A"CE AC EB CE | AC EB CE A2 | \
    "D"DF G,^G, A,B, =C^C | DE FE D2 B,=C | "A"CE AC EB CE | AC EB CE A2 | "D"DF AD FB DF | \
    "D"AD FB DF A2 | "G"GF GA Bd ed | "D"=fd e^f ed BA | "A"dB Ad BA FE | "D"D8 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    My ABC Navigator doesn't like that ABC... The Quote marks around some of the letters and the Slashes...
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    This is from TheSession.org in Fmaj - I of course will pick my own key...:
    X: 1
    T: Beaumont Rag
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Fmaj
    z2f2g2a2[|"C"b4g3^d|ege(c4c)|"F"a4f3c|dcAc2dcA|"C"cdeg2ege| agec2dcA|
    FGAc2AcA|dcAc2dcA|"C"b2b2gbg^d|egec2dec|"F"a2a2fgf c|dcAc2dcA|
    "Bb"Bcdef2gf|"F"agfdc2ba|"C"gfed cdeg|"F"f8|]EEcE EdEE|
    cEEE dEcE|FFcF FdFF|cFFF dFcF|EEcE EdEE|
    cEEE d2fe|f2F2F2cB|Acf2f4|EEcE EdEE|cEEE dEcE|
    FFcF FdFF|^dFF=d FFc2|"Bb"Bcde fegf|"F"agfdc2ba|"C"gfed cdeg|"F"f8|]
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    The Fiddler's Fakebook version seems to be different, although also in Fmaj...
  7. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    This tune is played in both F and D, depending on your jam partners.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    In the mandozine tabledit files, it looks like C, F & D.... I'm working on it in C....
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wow, cool, this is THE tune I'm working on right now...
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I don't know who suggested this one but I think it's the most funnest tune yet. I have at least 9 DIFFERENT versions of this i found at various sites and none of them sound exactly the same but all share the same elements.. had a very hard time with that syncopated beat in the 5 and 6 measures but i think i finally got it down, now gotta get up to speed HAHA
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I think it was me who is to blame.

By the way, if anyone wants a pdf of a nice version (notation or tab), send me a PM and I can make it available.

I have been trying hard to record my version, but now I keep messing up at a point which had never been a problem before. Still not rid of the camera fever, I am afraid.
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here it is, for better or worse (Eastman 815, 'metronome' by Band-in-a-Box):

13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    WOW, great post. You really got the rag beat down. Your learned that one very fast too, i might add!!

mike
  14. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    If you haven't seen it before check out the Tuttle Kids (and the dog) Playing Beaumont Rag .

If you aren't familiar, Jack Tuttle is a mandolin instructor and has a bunch of good mandolin stuff on his web site.
  15. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    SteveJ, thanks for letting me know that the kids can play much faster
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great job Manfred. I wish I had gotten my post in before the kids too. They're a hard act to follow.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, it's amazing what some ritalin will do for you. Here's my attempt:

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred & OS.... both were great! This is a fun tune!
  19. mandomansuetude
    mandomansuetude
    OS.......Wow!!! ...Splendid rendition....I'm gonna play it again...Kudos...Wm.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Mandoman... I just listened to Manfred's version too, it's awesome - great job as usual Manfred.
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Mike, Marcelyn, Barbara and OS for you kind words.

OS, I would say YOUR version is awesome.

Mike, I did not learn it completely in one day. I had played it sometimes from a tune book, but at about 25 clicks less. So all I did was bringing it up to a speed I still feel comfortable with.
  22. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Great job Manfred and OS! OS are you playing the b part just on the D and A strings? Sounds great! I see the Summit is back in action again.....

Hope to post a version soon!
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thank Rob, yes that's right, just the D and A strings, holding the G or F# on the D string and then up and down with the fingers on the A string.
  24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OS, just great. BTW, maybe you should be cutting those Ritalin in half? only saw you blink Once during the whole 1:44. just sayin'

m
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, here's what I have so far. My ideal post would have been without the dramatic pause and with the B section on the second time through played way up the fretboard. Someday...

This is in the key of D on my 83 Flatiron A5-2

26. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Great job by everyone.
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    I was ready to give up on this. I'd listen to the several versions and then get discouraged. Then I saw Marcelyn's post a little while ago. It just seemd so straightforward and the tune just jumped out at me. I already have the A part down and hope to have the B part before the night is out. Thanks a million Marcelyn.
  28. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Great videos. This looks like such a tune to play.
  29. Eddie Sheehy
    Better late and sloppy than never... Played on a 10-string 1920 Vega 305 - CCGGDDAAEE. I think I play it in C... but there are soooo many strings...

30. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Good thing you didn't give up Eddie. Nice playing and sweet sounding mandolin.

David, very relaxed and great sound, as always.

Marcelyn, nice playing, and you look definitely more relaxed than on your first post.
  31. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like it Eddie. That second line of the B part made me laugh.
  32. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Still trying to nail the 2 parts together. All great renditions!!

I see Marcelyn didn't get blown into Oz with those killer storms that tore up the central states. Whew!

m
  33. bradeinhorn
    bradeinhorn

Fun group. Picked up a lot of nice ideas in this thread. Nothing particularly earth-shattering in my interpretation - but I thought the dog was funny - so here goes. my next one will be more serious... a little more anyway.
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great playing. I think the dog's got rhythm. Welcome to the group.
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great version, bradeinhorn.
  36. bradeinhorn
    bradeinhorn
    thanks! as for his rhythm, i think so too. have taken him out to jams before, and he can kind of bark in time. funny for a little while but then kind of annoying....
  37. justkaron
    justkaron
    Just throwin' this here on the thread today in honor of Sam Bush's 60th birthday~! Happy Birthday Sammy!

38. bbcee
    bbcee
    Reviving this thread and double-posting at the same time. I submitted this over in the Newbies August Song of the Month this month, and here because everyone should try some ragtime now & again to knock the grey matter around!

Although I didn't get to the tempo I wanted, and playing it in D is challenging, I'm glad to have learned it. And after take 5,784, I'll be glad to give it a rest for a while, and I'll try it in C like a sane person next time.

The fist half is a mix-n-match of several Mandozine versions, and the second an intermediate version from Tunefox. I really like the app (NFI) because they offer interesting variations on old favorites, at different difficulty levels. iReal Pro is the backing track.

39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay, nice one Bbcee, and good to hear you posting.
    -I just found a version in F major, might have a go at it, I like those strange scales.
  40. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks Simon, if it wasn't for my staycation this week, I'm not sure if I could have posted at all, work being what it is at the moment (not a complaint!).

I'll look forward to hearing your version for sure - F will be a nice mandola key - and keep vicariously living through you and the rest of the prolific posters here.
  41. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Really nice, Bruce! Getting after it. Why is C easier than D on this tune?
  42. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hey Don, thanks - I guess it was because the crosspicking on the B parts was giving me fits in D, and I noticed they laid out nicely in C. Also that reach from the F on the E string to the D on the A string is a toughy at tempo. I'm glad I did it though, it was a good learning experience. And anyway, C will have its challenges, just different ones.
  43. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely playing, Bruce. Ragtime just has a magical quality and you surely capture it here. Thanks for posting.
  44. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love this Bruce..may have to give it a go. I love the tempo as it is and the rhythm is swingin'
  45. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is a style of music I haven't got my head around yet, but you certainly make it sound good!