Tuning machines

1. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Does anyone know what brand of tuning gears MM uses? Also, is the tension adjustable? Some of mine turn more easily than others.
  2. John Durkan
    John Durkan
    Hi Martin, not sure what kind they use but am thinking of having mine upgraded. I bought an mm-8 about 6 months ago, love how it plays and sounds, when it stays in tune. I am having trouble with 3 of them slipping and going flat after playing for a few minutes. If I'm just noodling around it's fine, but in a session they slip. It seems to be getting worse. Never had this problem on other mandos i've owned so I don't think it's how I'm winding them when I put new strings on. Did you ever find out any information?
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Hi John. Just now saw your message. Sorry about that. I did hear back from MM. They weren't specific, but I got the impression they are just some generic tuners that they either contract out for or buy in bulk. I have not had any problems like you describe with mine. In fact, other than some requiring a little more tension to turn, I've not had any problems. They did tell me that the tension is adjustable with a screw, but I don't remember which screw. I never bothered. I'll bet its a screw on the end of the tuner knob. You might try tightening that and see if it helps your slippage problem.
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Update. My "stiffest" tuner finally resulted in breaking the knob off a few months ago. I replaced them with ebony knobs and that lasted about a month. I got disgusted are replaced them with Gotah's, which are so much better it's light night and day. I'd recommend throwing out the tuners on any new MM and replacing them with brand names. Other than that I've been pleased with this instrument.
  5. rmabe
    rmabe
    I have had similar experiences with my MMS-200. After a setup and string change, I have no complaints at all about the sound of the mandolin. I had the opportunity to play this beside one of 'The Loar' models, and while it was a great sounding instrument, I just could not justify the added cost. I do have MAJOR complaints about the tuners. They do not allow for any fine tuning. I plan to replace them as soon as I can, and I will probably take the suggestion of the Gotoh tuners in this thread.
  6. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    I found the little screw at the end of the ivory/plastic was loose on mine, tightened it but still needs a bit of adjustment, still wants to slip, just tonight.. round hole on a square shaft with a screw on the end, wa sable to tune but.. have to think over how to fix.. closer look..