Case Recommendation

1. Tracy Edward
    Tracy Edward
    Hi Friends,

I just purchased a used 2004 Weber Firn and I wanted to put a tone guard on it.

Problem is it wont fit into my TKL case with it on.

Can anyone recommened a case that would work with the tone guard in place.

I would like a quality case and am willing to pay for it, should it be soft or hard?
    I just don't want to get one and find the same fit problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Tracy Edward
  2. PsychoMando
    PsychoMando
    Hi Tracey:

This is an excellent question. I had the same problem a few years back. The standard recommendation is to remove the tonegard each time you put it back in the case. Aaarrgghhh! That just isn't going to happen.

I found that Calton cases from Canada fit the tonegard & mandolin great! I know they're a bit expensive, but they make an awesome case and really fit the bill. Make sure you get their standard size case. They make a special Gibson-sized case that is too small for a Weber. Another thing to consider is callng Dennis or Brian at the Mandolin Store. They have seen thousands of mandolins & cases. They would have some good insight.
    Happy Pick'n
    "Doc" Simpson
  3. Tracy Edward
    Tracy Edward
    Thanks Doc, I have read about the calton cases, I just did not know what to order, you say the Calton standard size case would do the trick, thats great to know, thats what I needed!

Tracy Edward
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I don't know about the Fern, but my Weber Bridger A fit into it's case with the tonegard on with no problem.
  5. Tracy Edward
    Tracy Edward
    Barbara,
    Who is the manufacturer of your case.

Thanks

Tracy
  6. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    You might want to call Weber. They have great cases that fit their instruments. I can fit my Yellowstone in it's case with a tone guard. If you decide to go with Calton, check out the String Man in Canada. His prices cannot be beat.
  7. Susan H.
    Susan H.
    Tracy, I purchased a fiberglass case from The Mandolin Shore run by Dennis Vance. I love it and my Weber SE fits in it with the tone guard on along with my McClung armrest with no problems. I even made myself an instrument blanket to fit over the mandolin and it all goes in very nicely. They come in red, white or black and run $169.00 (I don't know about shipping). I use mine all the time instead of the Weber case. I have no trouble traveling with it either. Hope this helps.
  8. kirksdad
    kirksdad
    May want to check with Weber themselves, they sell a couple of different cases, the rectangle version may work fine with a toneguard in place.