Thoughts & Suggestions

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    While the name of the group is The Song-A-Week Social Group, I'm going to set it up that every time we come up with a new tune, it will get it's own discussion thread. There will be new tunes, but anyone, at any time, can go to the prior tunes, learn & record them (or just record & submit, if you already know it). So, even as we progress to new tunes, you can always access the previous tunes, & participate; our 'old' tunes threads will constantly be evolving!

Let's limit the replies in the individual Tune Discussion to submissions of the tune, discussions about the tune or the submissions.

When it's time to discuss suggestions for the next tune, we'll have discussion thread for that. Once we decide on a tune, it will have it's own discussion thread.

Feel free to start new discussions when you want to chat!

I'd like to try to manage this social group's discussions in such a way that as people join, it's somewhat easy to maneuver through the board!

Suggestions welcomed!
  2. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Well (for me) I like the basic concept but I would suggest a broader, less structured approach.

Road to Lisdoonvarna is a fine tune but not one I am ever likely to play in a group jam around here. Personally I am more interested in building a basic set of tunes I can play during jams rather than building a diverse set or expanding my musical horizons.

Also I think that Whiskey Before Breakfast thread was good because anyone could stop by and participate whereas now someone has to be a member of this group before they can participate.

And for example -Chris Travers has a nice video of SaltCreek that I would like to learn but who knows how long it might take to come around at this rate?

Perhaps our commitment can be that we endeavor to learn a new tune each week rather than doing a particular tune?

Well, don't mean to be a curmudgeon, just my thoughts on the subject.
  3. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should limit your learning to just whatever tune we happen to decide on for a particular week. The idea of everybody doing the same tune for a week is so that we have a basis to easily share ideas and abilities. The reason I was so excited about the Whiskey thread was that I got to see a huge variety of ways to play a tune. I, in turn, was inspired to come up with my own unique arrangement which I wouldn't have had occasion to do otherwise.

I also think it's not necessary that everybody has to participate every week. If the tune of the week doesn't interest you, or you don't have time to learn and record it, that's ok. So long as we maintain a good variety from week to week, I think most people will be interested more often than not.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ChrisStewart: I think that utilizing the regular message board category, 'Song & Tune projects', like you do, would be a fine place to accomplish your building a basic set of jam tunes. Or, the same thing but posted on the general discussions forum, like Whiskey Before Breakfast was.

There are lots of ways to build a set of tunes; just cruising you tube yields so many tunes, so many variations!

As far as jams go, there are many types of jams; bluegrass, irish, old time.. what kind of jam do you go to?

I think it would be fine if any one of us wanted to record and submit a tune outside of the tunes that we will consider 'tune of the week'. That would be a way to build the number of tunes available here in this group. Then, others could submit their renditions, as well.

How do the rest of you feel about having an official 'tune of the week' that we discuss and decide on as a group, and also encouraging our members to record and submit other tunes, as well?

Barb
  5. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I agree with Barbara, I think that if you want to post a song other than the "song of the week" that you can. Just do it in a separate discussion.

Chris
  6. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    As someone who's learning, I like this format. Most of my experience is finding a song online, looking it up, and hoping to find an example of it on youtube so I'll know what it should sound like. Then discovering that no ones posted it on youtube, at least under the name I have listed. So now I'm forced to listen to a dead, emotionless MIDI on barfly or tefview.

This is a much easier method for me. I can hear 10-20 variations of a song that I might have never chosen on my own. This one being a prime example. I've heard the song many times, but I never knew the name of it. Now not only do I know the name, but I can play it as well.
  7. DryBones
    DryBones
    yep, I like this format too. It forces me to practice to keep up with you real pickers! Not sure I will ever post a video but I like watching all the others attempts.
  8. jnikora
    jnikora
    I just joined the group and I'm a Luddite. I can make mp3s but I have no idea how to post them - can you help me?

Thanks,

Jim
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hopefully, someone who actually knows will jump in and answer!

If you have a video editing program on your computer, (like Window Movie Maker) you can make a slide show and put your mp3 into the slide show, which would then create something you can upload onto You Tube. We have had a couple of these types of submissions, so I know someone could walk you through that.

Also, there are sites (I don't know where) that will host your mp3. That way, your mp3 will be located somewhere starting with http://. That seems to be the only way to link to something here on the social group message boards. The file needs to be somewhere else on the internet, not just on your computer.

The other way would be to post a post on the regular message board (I've been using Tune & Song Projects for the posts I need to do there, like the polls). On the regular message board, you CAN attach mp3's to your posts. So, you can post on the regular message board, go to the bottom where it says 'manage attachments', and attach your mp3 file that is on your computer, to that message. Once you've posted that message, 'copy' the url of that message. Then, come over to the social group, and either start a new discussion, if it's a tune not already in place, or if you are replying to a discussion already ongoing, make sure you hit 'reply' not 'quick reply'. Then, type your message (something like HERE is a link to my mp3 of this tune). Then, highlight the word HERE, look above the message pane to find the icon for 'link' (the blue world with a chain link in front of it) Click it, and then paste the URL of your message in the regular message board, into the pop up window. Click OK, and it will put a link in your message, going to your other message, that has your mp3 attached!

Welcome, and hopefully, we'll get you to where we can hear your mp3s!
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Jim, if you create a blog here on Mandolin Cafe, you can post MP3s on your blog, and link to them from your posts here. Here's a link to the blogs page (you can also find it on the Quick Links menu above) where you should be able to set it up:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/blog.php
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OldSausage, thanks for that tip! Good to know!